The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card book is best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the sean
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
79 Posts

Profile of the sean
Hello everyone I am about to buy a book on card magic but I'm not sure which one to buy

see I have read Jean Hugards card manipulation 1,2,3,4 and 5 but I find they are not written very well and I have a hard time following the instructions, I like doing close up magic and apearing and disapearing cards.
here is a list of the card magic I allready know

the ambitius card
Pulling a card from air
Card warp
Card thru window
Selected card ends up inside a lemon
A spec. cuts the deck into four piles the top card on each pile are found to be the four aces.
8 card brain wave
card on ceiling
3 color monte (with 3 card from a normal deck)
the snap change
doc dailys last trick
card in spectaores pocket
the tent vanish
throw vanish
tenkai palm
back palm classic palm
thumb palm
spin change
snap change
and quite a few more

now I need to know of a good book with detailed instructions and a lot of tricks and sleights to learn

also I guess this doesn't have to be a book it could be a video or dvd
I was thinking maybe one of the card college books but which one? and also are they written very well?

please help me with this one guys
thanks for all the responses
Regards: Sean

Smile Smile Smile
ditti80
View Profile
New user
New York - Long Island
46 Posts

Profile of ditti80
Do a search. Good luck.

Ditti
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
Sean there´s a lot of good books on cards, here are some:

1-Royal road to card magic(beginner)

2- card college( all the set)

3-Revolutionary Card Technique by Ed Marlo

4-Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue

this are some of my suggestions

Smile Smile Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Reasonably priced and a classic is Harry Lorayne's "Close-Up Card Magic."

Matt Field
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1522 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
You should get the Card College series. While Royal Road and Expert Card Technique were good in their time, there are a lot of commonly used moves and sleights that were invented since then that are in the Card College books. If you have any intention of getting Card College (and you should) then don't bother with Royal Road and ECT. Once you have a good arsenal of sleights and moves you can start making up your own tricks and handlings.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Looks like you do more card effects than I know, yet I can do a good solid 20-minute act. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Gert Piet
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
27 Posts

Profile of Gert Piet
I agree. You have enough knowledge of cards to do a close-up show for two houres. But do you want that? When I come into magic I did for 90% cards. Now I know that cards are not the only things I can do magic with. And I love to do magic with all the props I can find on a table or in the room I am.

But, Card College is all you need. Smile
per_agge
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of per_agge
Well, that's very good tricks you know. mix them with maybe some coin and other objecttricks. choose your tricks with care and set them up in a good order with a fast but astonishing start and a very very good end trick. maybe not everybody agree with me but that's what I think you should go for.
good luck
r3gards Per Agge Smile
xslider
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of xslider
If you are low on cash, I would actually recommend Royal Road and Expert card Technique. Although they are old, or "good for their time", but if you think about what we do, for example, the cup and ball act, it's been around for hundreds of years.

If you have a lot of money to spare, then the CC series would be great.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Books :
1. Expert Card Techinique
2. All the Card Colleges

Videos :
1. All the Easy To Master Series at the very least. Smile Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Since you are asking for card books specifically, I'll restrict the list to them, but may include one or two items that are mixed material...

1.) Anything by Ron Bauer
2.) Royal Road to Card Magic
3.) Expert Card Technique
4.) Stars of Magic
5.) The Card Magic of LePaul
6.) Marlo in Spades
7.) The Card Magic of Brother John Hamman
8.) Greater Magic - the first 600 pages of this are
devoted to card magic...

If you owned all the books above, you would have about the best working library available on card magic. Though certainly not complete, it would keep you busy for years, and if you mastered even one quarter of the material, you would be as good as almost anyone working today.

In addition, there is enough diversity in Stars of Magic alone to let you do several complete 30 minute sets of varied material, non-cards. Greater Magic covers small props, stand-up, and stage material, and again, gives you all you need for several complete performances in each venue...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves are fantastic. I hope that you are not one of these dolts who think that "self-working" equals "no skill/no talent". Also, Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne is probably one of the best card books available. Smile
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
All of Darwin Ortiz' books.
Who is John Galt?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What card book is best (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL