The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Projected Ghosts... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
Hello Fellow Members,

Here is some info I received for creating Projected Ghosts, for those who can figure a way to add it to thier ideas.

A lot of good info on 'How To' projects can be learned (wiring, lights etc), at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hauntworld

Plus if you have an idea and wondering how to make it work, someone there can usually answer it.

Below you will find a sample of info on Projected Ghosts.

Take care
Ed Smile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Projected Ghosts

it is just a spinning "gobo"(technical term for cutout pattern) in front of a light. spinning disk that has flying ghost patterns cutout in front of light. how close you are to the light, size of cutouts and how far the wall is the key...
Subject: Re: projected ghosts

At Disneyland, the ghosts are projected on a large piece of scrimm streched lengthwise through the graveyard. The scene behind the scrim is illuminated to make the scrim disappear. I've always assumed the gobo was fixed in the projector/fixture and that a rotating mirror was placed in the beam to move the ghosts up the scrimm.
Subject: Re: Re: projected ghosts

Howdy;

The key to the projected ghost effect is finding the scrimm. Your local Home Depot or Ace Hardware should have a Fiberglass Sunscreen, which is like fiberglass window screen but much thicker in appearance. This is a similar material to that used for Eye-Holes in Character Costumes (Buggs Bunny et al.) Light will get through it from behind, and it will reflect your projection without a hitch.
The use of scrims has been around for eons. Before front and rear projections it was used in theater and in museums and atractions much like a "peppers ghost".

The scrim had a painting on the front and when lit from the front it was a scene of some sort. When the scene was lit from the back the scene behind was visible THRU the scrim...

I remember seeing this in the displays at Gettysburg on a class trip when I was like 10 years old thinking it was the cooest high tech effect in the world....

To do your ghost effect or any effect for that matter consider buying REAL scrim material to get the REAL effect!
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Interesting information that gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks.

:comply:
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
There is a similar topic here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7

if you are interested in the scrim / gauze idea.

Best,
Bri
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Disney's Haunted Mansion has ghosts flying through a banquet room. This is the Pepper's Ghost illusion using a sheet of glass. It requires a specially constructed stage or room (with an out of sight area) to house the ghosts that create the image on the glass. The effect is described in several old magic books.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I love Disney World: I'm such a kid at heart.
pcamel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pcamel
This idea and the history behind it is described in detail in the fairly new book about the history of magic leading up to houdini's elephant vanish. it's called Hiding the Elephant. a very good read that is part history, part mystery and the author's quest to figure out the houdini vanish as well as the even more baffling vanishing donkey.
felix2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of felix2
Hi,
Keith Hart has got a book available titled GHOST ILLUSIONS which contains 3 practical methods which he uses and have also been featured on the BBC in UK.

Also,he has some interesting books,videos and artifacts that might be of interest to those individuals who are into bizarre magick.His site is at
http://www.blackhart.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Theres a material called haulo cubes inwhich when laser light is projected within it, it appears to be a 3-d image. Theres one inside of the adventurers club, pleasure island. They have a Q&A genii.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
A lot of good info on 'How To' projects can be learned (wiring, lights etc), at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hauntworld

Much of this seems to be posted by fly-by-night operators. The first one I clicked on had an electronics and lighting supply company that was "closed for Hallowe'en." Their posts are full of spelling errors and other mistakes that lead me to think that many of them are either new to the business or not really the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

This smacks of heavy "carney" work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Bill, as a long time member of the Hauntworld list, I felt like I should address your comments. Like the Café, the list that you linked to is an open forum. It is populated by professional haunters, home haunters, those who love Halloween, and (again, like here) those simply looking for secrets. There is a great deal of valuable information that filters through that group, but like any open forum, it has its share of garbage as well.

That said, I have found that I am not alone in being involved in both haunting and bizarre magik. There is a great deal of cross-over. Hauntworld, and other haunt resources can be -- in my humble opinion -- of great value to the bizarrist.

Just my two cents worth,

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Projected Ghosts... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL