The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Show me again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
What do you say when people say to you "do it again!" after performing a trick?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
<smiling> Again? Nah.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
HenrikHyldig
View Profile
New user
From the land of Denmark I bring you
71 Posts

Profile of HenrikHyldig
"if I do it again I won't have time to show you this" and then goes on to another effect.

Many times people say "show me again" because they don't know what else to say, you can also say something like "Im glad you liked it, what was your favorite part"
or say "my teacher told me to only show this once"
-o- Henrik Hyldig -o-

()()
('.') < My magic bunny (Be careful! He bites)
(")(")
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Hi mndude,

When I perform magic for children and they ask me that, which I can gaurantee they will, I tell them that the magician that taught me the trick asked me to promise him that I would only ever show it once each time I performed and I can't break a promise. Works everytime, they accept it and it teaches them about sticking to your word.

With adults, I just smile and say, "let me show you something else you will really like too". By the time I complete two or three effects they are well beyond the thought of asking me to do it again.

Mark
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
Bugatti
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Bugatti
I really like Mark´s take on children asking him to redo the trick; that´s great! As I am currently performing for adults only, it won´t work for me though. However, before I concentrated on mentalism I was asked a hell of a lot do tricks again (rubber band magic, cards, etc.). Nowadays with mentalism stunts (booktests, predictions, etc.) I don´t get that reaction a lot - people are just baffled and some make up their minds how I could have achieved it, but they seem to understand that you don´t just repeat a whole book test...
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
Depending on the crowd,

"You sound like my girlfriend... 'Do it again, do it again'"

"Why? Did I do it wrong?"

"That fooled you too huh? I still haven't been able to figure it out."
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 09:11, Bugatti wrote:
I really like Mark´s take on children asking him to redo the trick; that´s great! As I am currently performing for adults only, it won´t work for me though. However, before I concentrated on mentalism I was asked a hell of a lot do tricks again (rubber band magic, cards, etc.). Nowadays with mentalism stunts (booktests, predictions, etc.) I don´t get that reaction a lot - people are just baffled and some make up their minds how I could have achieved it, but they seem to understand that you don´t just repeat a whole book test...

For a mentalism act,

"I 'knew' you were going to ask me that. That is why I prepared 'this' just for you." (move on)
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
The only trick I do twice (and then not really) is Crazy Man's Handcuffs....1st in my hand, 2nd time in theirs. Most tricks however do tend to fall into the "once is magic, twice is education" category. Unless I can guarantee to get a better response the second time why do it? There is nothing in it for you....they may work it out, and there is nothing in it for the audience....they work it out the wonder is lost.

Danny
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
I usually just say, "I could show you again but let me show you something better". However, I sometimes repeat an effect a different way (I have never performed something the exact same way twice in a row.) like ambitious card for example.
Seamus Airgead
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Seamus Airgead
Best to just ignore or perhaps delay the question and, with a quick word and a smile, go into another effect.

Corollary- always have another effect you can do to assuage the "do it again" question.
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Quote:
"I 'knew' you were going to ask me that. That is why I prepared 'this' just for you." (move on)

Yabi, nice, very clever.
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
A magic trick is like a joke.. You would never tell the same joke twice!!
Searching for the magic side of life...
Bugatti
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Bugatti
What just came to my mind; in all these effects were the magic happens in or at least pretty much in the hands of a spectator (OOTW, shuffling lessons, etc.) one could reverse it, saying to the volunteer: "Wow... you are a real magician. Could you do that again? I know you don´t, as real magicians never do, but that effect really puzzled me..."
yabi
View Profile
New user
Cherry Hill, NJ
92 Posts

Profile of yabi
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 12:39, Mark Jarvis wrote:

Yabi, nice, very clever.
[/quote]

Thank you kindly. =0)
Richard Schneider
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Richard Schneider
Just begin another effect. If it has a similar beginning to the last trick ("pick a card"), they may think you are repeating it and get pulled in. If the beginning is completely different, hopefully your routining will set it up so that the second effect will be stronger than the first, and thus distract them. If they want to be shown the second one again, do another. Eventually they'll stop asking--because they'll catch on, or because it seems greedy to want to be shown all those tricks again.

Basically, I treat "show me again" as "show me more magic."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I usually handle the "do it again" question up front. It works with adults and kids.

"Hey, you guys want me to do something absolutely amazing, right? I'll do it, but do me a favor. Don't ask me how I do it, and don't ask me to show it again, OK? (big smile)"

They usually understand, but if I get questionable response, I just skip it. There are some folks you do NOT want to show magic to. I can spot that kind right away after my "disclaimer", and I take that type of person very seriously, as I've had some bad luck with that type in the past.

Also, I've learned to quit while they still want more. There's nothing worse than have them walk away while you're showing an effect...

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Show me again! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL