The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
Which one would you prefer: Owen spirit table or the Wellington (Wright)

And why?

thanks for helping making a decision,
Best,
P
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Wellington is ok. I have one but I had to reduce one ply from the top so as to make it lighter. Also, it looks like an ordinary table and it already comes in a wooden case. I don't know bout the Owen version. Good Luck!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
69 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
I LOVE the Losander version! MUCH MUCH more amazing and real looking than anything on the market today. Worth every penny! It is a delicate table, but looks heavy. Lots of time goes into the crafting of each table.
I am whatever I am to you.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
Question: do I have to wear a finger ring to perform them? (BTW I own a Losander table...)I mean the other two sorts of table.
Thanks,

P
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Owen table is very elegant and well made. You need a r--- to control it. The Wellington table which I have is very light and works well. The table looks like normal wood or veneer. The gimmick in the table is undetectable In the original instructions they tell you to use a r--- with their gimmick. However when I do it I don't have the gimmick in my hand or on a r---. It works better that way and allows you to levitate the table and move all your fingers showing no connection. I'll PM anyone who has the Wellington with my method. However you need to describe the table and gimmick to me so I know you own it.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hello! Smile

The only Floating Table I know of was David Copperfield's. A huge round, heavy table! We took it off the truck, and it weighs a LOT! A number of people surround the table as it rises off the floor...

I'm not going to go into detail about the routine or method, but I WOULD be curious as to the inventor of the principle involved, as it's quite old, and was used a long time ago in seance-type surroundings.

Any one know what I'm talking about?

Doug
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
69 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
Yes, but I would gess that you would need a couple of "Relatives" in the crowd to volunteer! That was probably one of the original methods, maybe pre-dating the table tipping era. I believe it was exposed in cartoon form in one of the Houdini bios. Can't give a name to the inventor, though.
I am whatever I am to you.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
Didn`t David Berglas perform a floating table like D.C did in one of his shows? (Check out the Berglas book)

Best,
P
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
There are many ways to perform the floating table if you are considering "stooges".

One method can of course be found in Jim Steinmeyer's "The Complete Jarrett" book.

It's a very nice effect if performed well.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
David Berglas sold his version to Copperfield,I believe Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and search for Francisco's floating table (Hey, they gotta be good, I make 'em).

Low price, strong effect (we used for years in spook shows, and you can do it in a living room). Only requires any ungaffed, normal card table, the Francisco gimmicks (and one stooge).

Try it you will love it... Smile Smile Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you, Pete!

Wow, an affordable one! Amazing! That 150lb+ table of D.C.'s was very impressive, even watching it from off-stage.

Doug
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
As a matter of Interest D Copperfield purchased the rights of david Berglas to perhorm his routine that's why Berglas has not released it in the book.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Dougini

Seems you have experienced a lot with DC. How many years have you worked for him. To bad you still can't be on his crew. I take it no light weight can lift that....

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2003-10-02 17:39, Pete Biro wrote:
Go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and search for Francisco's floating table (Hey, they gotta be good, I make 'em).

Low price, strong effect (we used for years in spook shows, and you can do it in a living room). Only requires any ungaffed, normal card table, the Francisco gimmicks (and one stooge).

Try it you will love it... Smile Smile Smile

Pete... is that the one where the cloth falls off the table?

I really like how that one reads, would love to see video of it.

I'm ignorant as to the make but Kevin James offers one that I have seen in a live show that is AWESOME! It exploits a Zombie styled operation system that is "impossible" (even to some very trained eyes)... I would highly recommend checking it out and Pete's as well, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

IT IS IMPORTANT if you are going to try to sell this routine as behing "ghost movement" that you do not perform a waltz with it... that ruins the table act like you can't believe. Keep it simple!

IF YOU ARE OUT FOR FUN AND FUNNY... go to Beverly, Mass. and catch "Le Grand David" Cesario presents the funniest darn floating table routine I've ever seen... it's truely beautiful and must be seen to be appreciated.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes, Michael...I did work the show as a local stagehand, three years in a row, when he came to Ft Myers. I remember my friend and I were wrestling that table off the truck, and he said DC was going to make it "float"...I said, "This I've GOT to see..."

"Wow!!"...that was my reaction...then, when DC made it crash to the floor, the whole stage vibrated...one HEAVY piece. I've known the method for years, but DC almost fooled me! If I hadn't been working directly with the crew I would NEVER have known!

I'm seriously considering the Losander Table. I'm already pretty fair at doing Zombie, so this is along the same idea, I take it?

Cheers!

Doug
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
Back to the original question in this post, I have had one and played with the other. I don't have a strong preference between the Owen and the Wellington, but give a slight edge to the Owen. It is sturdier in construction and much more stable "in flight". By sturdier in construction, I do not mean that the Wellington is not well made, it is beautiful. It also looks like an ungimmicked table, whereas the Owen is more "magical" in appearance. But the material the Wellington is made of is pretty delicate, whereas the Owen can be handled without as much caution and can even hold medium size props. Hope this helps!
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-04-05 23:01, rocky clements wrote:
Back to the original question in this post, I have had one and played with the other. I don't have a strong preference between the Owen and the Wellington, but give a slight edge to the Owen. It is sturdier in construction and much more stable "in flight". By sturdier in construction, I do not mean that the Wellington is not well made, it is beautiful. It also looks like an ungimmicked table, whereas the Owen is more "magical" in appearance. But the material the Wellington is made of is pretty delicate, whereas the Owen can be handled without as much caution and can even hold medium size props. Hope this helps!

Owens (or any company of genuine repute) can modify the look of their table to best suit you and your needs. Based on what you're saying, it sounds to me that the Owen is the direction to go for how you want to do the routine and for personal peace of mind when it comes to the prop's durability. I do know from experience that Owen believes in building most of their effects like a small battle ship... they are intended to endure. Then again, they know the kind of abuse most props go through when being trooped around the country or used in Amusement Parks by inexperienced "young adults". On that level, it's hard to say "No" to Owens.

Another course of action you may consider (though it would be a bit more expensive) is to check with John Gaughan, Bill Smith, etc. and see what kind of deal they have. I know they have alternate methods that would probably allow you a bit more freedom in handling the effect and presentation, of course.

If you're not dancing with the thing or could easily gain an accomplice or two... Steven's had a very cool set-up a year or two back, that allowed you to float any portable "Card" table... I think it sold for around $45.00 or something but it's a very cool arrangement when used properly... an actual reputation maker in fact.

Best of luck in your quest!
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
I own a Wellington I bought from Magic Auction and Beyond a couple of years ago. It's a great looking table, but is beginning to show severe wear at the leg joints. I had to have them repoxied. The best part is the ability to rotate it 360 degrees which really brings a look of amazement to my audience. I first tried doing it without music and was told by friends that you could hear contact being made when I first floated the table. Music solved the problem. Other than the legs, I really like it. Haven't seen the other models.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
Wellington floating table is good. I have one and it looks like an ordinary table. It comes in a wooden case. I have no idea about the Owen version.

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Floating table (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL