The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a card box look old? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Hi all, I want to take a card box and make it look really old. I'm taking about the type pf card box with the shim to change cards etc. I have a nice wooden one but it is bolbde wood and looks like new. I would rather have a old very antique rustic one. Any thoughts as the best way to do this or does anyone know of one on the market? Thanks.. Mike
Be Young...Have Fun!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22827 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would think the same process would work that is used to age funiture. Using hammers, matches to blacken the finish, and different items to mar the wood. I take it you do not want to strip the surface and refinish the box.

Look up with Google ageing tables, furniture, dressers, etc. They even have videos of the techniques used.
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
289 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Thanks to both of you..
Be Young...Have Fun!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Magic Ref... brown shoe polish, staining something with tea, scuffing it with sandpaper or lightly using a flame can easily age things. Once done to your satisfaction... seal it with a light coat of lacquer or even hair spray.

Good luck,
Bruce
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
After you get it scuffed up Antique oil will give you the finish you are looking for that is if you are going to take the current finish off. Tips on this product in the workshop tips sticky. Good luck
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When I want to "age" a piece of wood, I first stain the item, and then lightly sand or rub the high spots and corners to start exposing the natural color of the wood. However, the crevasses will still hold the stain, and be darker than the rest. This is just an expedited process of what really happens to antique wood. The areas where the piece is naturally handled will wear more quickly, and dirt and dust will settle into the crevasses and inside corners.

After doing this, I will usually re-stain with a color a few shades lighter than the first. This avoids a single flat color, and gives depth to the piece. This is the same theory behind well-done hair highlights.

Finally, I give the piece a finish coat. I first decide if I want this to look untouched for decades, well-maintained, neglected, or somewhere in between. Depending on the look I want, this may be Tung oil, orange shellac, Danish Oil, etc. I usually opt for a rubbed finish, and you can even do that with polyurethane. Just thin it with mineral spirits to the consistency of Tung Oil.

I know that my dad has mixed some used motor oil with mineral spirits for a penetrating oil. Nice rustic look.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a card box look old? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL