The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nail thru hand - help please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
No, I've not nailed my hand to my desk...yet.

My act combines juggling, some freakshow elements and magic. I currently do the human blockhead routine with a 5" nail and would like to add a bit of magic.

So, my idea is to appear to drive a nail through my hand with a hammer. I'm sure it's been done before, but I am struggling for ways to produce an effective gimmick. Is there a way, or would I be best using a few sleights too?

Ta

ML Smile
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
There was an effect on the market a while back called AcuPUNKture. It was, supposedly, a completely convincing way to take a large pin and shove it through your hand. Apparently so convincing that it would fool a doctor. I don't know if it's still available, and through who, but if you're interested someone else here at the Cafe may be able to help you out.

Hope this helps.

-Corey
Corey King
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
That sounds good - can anyone help?? Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Should've added - if it is technical info, please email or private message me.

Cheers

ML (who has just realised that juggling while wearing a kilt is a great money spinner in Edinburgh!!)
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Should've added - if it is technical info, please email or private message me.

Cheers

ML (who has just realised that juggling while wearing a kilt is a great money spinner in Edinburgh!!)
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Hey Jock,
I have never tried this before but how about this. Use an over-sized mallet like you see used for croquet games.
Drill a 1/2" hole deep into it and stick a strong magnet (NIB type) deep inside the hole.
Now when your assistant holds the six inch nail and you hammer down on it the nail goes up the hole and sticks to the magnet.
Now drill another hole near the first one and about 2-1/2" deep,
Cut the top two inches off a nail and epoxy glue it to a circle of cardboard about 1/2" diameter.
On the upper surface where the nail is epoxied on, paint it as a red bloody hole and on the underside stick some double sided tape.
When the original nail goes up indside the hole to the magnet, the small faked nail and circle pad sticks to your hand.
I have not figgered how you reverse the process - thats one for us all to discuss...

Thinking some more, make the magnet hole a good inch and a half diameter so it is guaranteed to take the nail even with a not too accurate swipe.
Cover the hole with a thin sticky paper label painted the same color as the mallet.
When you smash down with the mallet the paper will rupture with a crackling sound and the nail may even 'ding' or click against the magnet - so much the better. The noise should sound like the mallet striking the nail quite hard.
That should work...

RangeCowboy
ex-Pat Jock in CA
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Cheers - I like it!

I've thought of a way to remove the nail from the hand. If the nail was "nailed" to the back of your left hand, have a nail palmed in your right. After waving the left hand about and screaming, go to remove it with your teeth. As the back of the left hand approaches your mouth, bring up the right hand, with the palmed nail, to your mouth as if you're going to use it to apply the neccessary pressure to remove the nail with your teeth. As your right hand approaches, you take the head of the palmed nail in your teeth (to the audience, this looks like you've taken the nail that was in the back of your hand). Pretend to push your left hand away with your right. At the same time, your right hand palms the gimmick stuck to the back of your left. Present the "removed" nail and take the opportunity to dispose of the gimmick palmed in your right.

Any comments??
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Great idea!,

now just one small problem for the single performer - who will hold the nail over the left hand while you hit it with the mallet in your right hand?
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
You know, that only just crossed my mind Smile

Hmmm - you could always hammer the nail into your thigh or knee. Or forehead!

ML
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Knee ! Great Idea!
so much easier than needing a third hand.

You place one foot on a chair and the knee up near waist level and nail through...

Terrific gag magic
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
You could also consider using a nail gun.

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Just a word of obvious warning on Cowboy's idea. Although 1/2" hole to take up the nail sounds great, it should be pointed out that if you miss, you're gonna shove that nail into your hand. That's not a good situation to be in!

An alternative, is to make a Pen thru anything with a nail. The metal of the nail will help to make the magnets much stronger than in the Pen version!

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
My idea is much safer than Philemons - but point (!!) taken.

If I was going to do a great illusion it would need the nail to be progressively driven in by each whack of the hammer so you could see say a 12" nail go through the leg in about six hits.

Now discuss that idea folks..... No thread, no wires, no helium, no mirrors etc etc just morphine.

Philemons idea would work for a Polish/Irish magician [insert your own nationality...]
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
If you can work it out to remove the nail using a claw hammer, taking it out will get as much reaction as driving it in. Just the thought of applying that much leverage against the back of your hand!

(Years ago, a friend of mine actually drove a framing nail through his hand with a nailgun. He "pulled the punch" enough so it didn't countersink the nail--thank God! His wife was present and started to pull it out with a claw hammer until he nearly fainted from the pain. Just hearing that part of the story gave me the willies...much more than the shooting it in part.) BTW, at the hospital, they packed his hand in ice and cut the nailhead off with a Dremel tool, then pulled the nail on thru...OWWWWW!
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Doctor Amaze, thank you for disturbing us all with your little story Smile
If you have alotta money and a know craftsman, I have a perfect method. Using very good telescoping tech and very pricy magnets from japan, and one really long nail, you could make it look exactly like you are pounding a nail through your hand Smile oh and by the way, I know it works, I use the same method with my cig thru quarter. Same as johnsons cig thru any coin, but with the one I had crafted myself, it actuall looks like you are pushing it thru and the are no angle problems. Very spiff. oh and it costed an all of $300 to create so, if your on a really low budget, buy ACUpunCTURE.

Smile , Smile , and Smile Smile Smile Smile 's
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
hmmm, I like the sound of that but I think I'll do the cheap option!

Slainte!

ML
jorgini
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
2 Posts

Profile of jorgini
ML-
May I suggest the old Carny Sidewhow bit of the meathook thru the tongue instead? It is real looking, gives them the willies, and they believe it is happening! Another advantage is its ease of accomlishment and simple gimmick. Unless you need the hammer thing, in which case, you can turn your back to the audience and 'hammer in' the point of the meathook through your tongue.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Thanks for the tip but I already do that - good effect it is too.

Slainte!

ML
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
Missing Link,
Just curious... where did you learn the Blockhead effect?

Cheers,

Sean Piper
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nail thru hand - help please! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL