The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Is there a classic you don't like? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
For every effect that some magician doesn't care for, my bet is that there's another magician who's developed a presentation that would change the other magician's mind.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I agree Larry, for some reason I just don't care for the " egg bag "
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Straight jacket, the only thing the audience will feel is the eerie music they played during the routine as everone knows he will be able to escape at the end. Some might take it a little further by having their head tied up in a clear plastic bag. Not for kids to be honest.

Even I love card tricks, but I never like spelling cards into a pile to arrive at their card. For some types of audience it will be very appealing, but for many, it is just a little dull.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
The Chicago opener does not have counting or spelling as you correectly state. I was just saying that it along with counting and spelling card effects are boring.

Ron
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 20:19, Larry Davidson wrote:
For every effect that some magician doesn't care for, my bet is that there's another magician who's developed a presentation that would change the other magician's mind.

You've gotta see how I do my "pull off thumb" illusion.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I prefer performing the "pull my finger" bit better. LOL

Ron
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-03-07 08:50, mrmagic0 wrote:
I prefer performing the "pull my finger" bit better. LOL

Ron

Hey... when Ellusionist comes out with green Pure Smoke, that trick will be performed like never seen before!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
They are changing the color of the smoke from green to brown - it will look more organic.

Anohter option will be odor packets, so your audiences can get color plus scent.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-03-07 11:50, Chessmann wrote:
They are changing the color of the smoke from green to brown - it will look more organic.

Anohter option will be odor packets, so your audiences can get color plus scent.

LOL, I'd have to get one for my younger brother, he specializes in flatuence humor. I just read today about a trick where you can blow up balloons from your hand, ear, or any part of your body. You could do an entire show on flatuence magic.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think that maybe "Classic" ought to be defined. Being an trick from the last couple of generations (say 50 - 60 years or so) might make it a "standard" but not necessarily a classic.

I don't see any card tricks as Classics. They may be old, they might even be standard but I doubt if one could be considered classic (except maybe the card to purse).

Pom-Pom pole, Square-Circle, Die Box, Chop Cup have all become standards in magic, especially some branches in magic but I don't consider any one of them a true classic.

Linking rings, egg bag, Cups and Balls, Grandmother's necklace, producing small animals, and various deception tricks are all true Classics. I tend to like them all and have performed them all at one time or another to the great amusement and entertainment of a paying audience.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Linking Rings. Just have never gotten into that one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I've got to go with linking rings, as well. At least with linking finger rings, it becomes a far more personal effect. It's also more powerful- as to the specs, at least, what's being "linked" is impossible.

I'm not a fan of blindfolds, either. Unless combined well with other principles and methods, to me, it's basically telling the audience "I can see through this", no matter how strong the reveal.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Quote:
On 2012-03-07 12:49, Harry Murphy wrote:
I think that maybe "Classic" ought to be defined. Being an trick from the last couple of generations (say 50 - 60 years or so) might make it a "standard" but not necessarily a classic.

I don't see any card tricks as Classics. They may be old, they might even be standard but I doubt if one could be considered classic (except maybe the card to purse).

Pom-Pom pole, Square-Circle, Die Box, Chop Cup have all become standards in magic, especially some branches in magic but I don't consider any one of them a true classic.

Linking rings, egg bag, Cups and Balls, Grandmother's necklace, producing small animals, and various deception tricks are all true Classics. I tend to like them all and have performed them all at one time or another to the great amusement and entertainment of a paying audience.

I think your distinctions are accurate and well stated. It may not have been clear from my original post, but I feel the fault lies within myself, not the classic effect (in my case, cups and balls). I'm somehow not getting the same feeling from it that others are. But I know it's a good trick because some many others (smarther and more talented than myself) enjoy it. As they say, "When ten people tell you that you're drunk, you ought to lie down."
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Fork To Spectator's Eye. I find it alienates the audience a bit.

I never liked the egg bag either... Until I saw Johnny Thompson do it. In his hands, it is amazing.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
Anything that involves a box.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 20:19, Larry Davidson wrote:

I wrestled for words to convey what you said and...you said it.

Clarke
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Cups and balls here too. And linking rings.

I guess it's because it's something we've all seen a million times, even lay people I imagine. I can appreciate the variations, subtleties etc from a "professional" point of view, but that's it. The tricks in themselves are just not entertaining to me.

I would like to learn the cups and balls well though, just to shut my own mouth (and maybe my ignorance is the reason for my dislike). And I like the challenge to develop the classics. Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-03-08 04:38, Lundonia wrote:
Cups and balls here too. And linking rings.

I guess it's because it's something we've all seen a million times, even lay people I imagine. I can appreciate the variations, subtleties etc from a "professional" point of view, but that's it. The tricks in themselves are just not entertaining to me.

I would like to learn the cups and balls well though, just to shut my own mouth (and maybe my ignorance is the reason for my dislike). And I like the challenge to develop the classics. Smile

It's one of the first bits of magic I learned, and I still practice it. For me it's become almost Zen to practice cups & balls. And like sponge bunnies, when you do it right people really love it. They really, really do. So go for it! Smile
pennjarr
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of pennjarr
.sam the bellhop and its many variations, it is neither funny or magical, and yes I have seen Bill malones version and it also sucks.
and I agree with many other posters linking rings does very little to move me
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
Head Twister Illusion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Is there a classic you don't like? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL