The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man, it'd be funny if (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 01:38, ed rhodes wrote:

Were there people demanding his sponsors quit the show? Were there petitions being circulated as are being done now. Incidently, Imus found another job.

Yes, he did. With Fox.

But, but yes, there were immediate calls for sponsors and the public to boycott his show and a great deal of public outrage. He apologized almost immediately, but was fired rather quickly so the situation did not stretch out as in the Limbaugh case.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/imus/index.html
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The funny part of the Imus situation was when he got another gig and Al Sharpton said they'd have to monitor him.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Isn't Sharpton just an entertainer?

No, seriously, Sharpton is for the most part (he has had a few morally sound moments) a corrupt buffoon, convenient to have around to "represent" Black Leadership.

But really, is it any more laughable than Imus calling Rush on his sexism?!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 13:18, landmark wrote:

No, seriously, Sharpton is for the most part (he has had a few morally sound moments) a corrupt buffoon, convenient to have around to "represent" Black Leadership.

As far as Sharpton vs Imus, it's not really more laughable. It's just the notion that Sharpton went beyond calling him on it, and actually appointed himself the monitor.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 13:18, landmark wrote:

Ah, good old Al. Always there when the attention factor is in his favor. Tawana Brawley put him on the map.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-03-06 20:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Never mind that Obama/Biden had the exact same position on gay marriage as McCain/Palin.

That may have been then, but this is now. Check the headlines. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Did they do that just to make my old posts stale!?

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 16:26, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Did they do that just to make my old posts stale!?

Most of those old posts (I do recall them) have magically vanished by now anyway, so your Café-cred won't be hurt much. The one above was the only one I could locate. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Props to Obama/Biden for finally getting on the right side of the issue. Better late than never!

For the cynical...

"Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?" (Gallup)

May 2008: 40% Should, 56% Should not, 4% Unsure

May 2012: 50% Should, 48% Should not, 2% Unsure

Those concerned about all of the feared consequences of gay marriage can take comfort in that the fact that thus far, no polls have been released showing that most Americans favor the rights of ducks to marry lawn furniture, so we're probably pretty safe there.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

A great moment in Civil Rights for all! Long overdue.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Interesting that despite the polling data, Lobo, it appears that every State referendum on the issue has defined marriage as meaning one man and one woman. As in North Carolina yesterday, with a 61% to 39% vote.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"A recent Illinois Issues article on gay marriage cited a 2011 Gallup poll which found that 53 percent of Americans favor gay marriage, while 47 percent are opposed. The most significant figure in that survey was that 70 percent of 18-34 year olds are OK with gay marriage, compared to 39 percent of people over 55. As the saying goes, people don’t change, but they do die."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-roo......525.html
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/again......738.html

Wow. Who knew the Democrat Party had so many bigots?

(OK, yes, that was a rhetorical question.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 16:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Props to Obama/Biden for finally getting on the right side of the issue. Better late than never!

For the cynical...

"Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?" (Gallup)

May 2008: 40% Should, 56% Should not, 4% Unsure

May 2012: 50% Should, 48% Should not, 2% Unsure

Those concerned about all of the feared consequences of gay marriage can take comfort in that the fact that thus far, no polls have been released showing that most Americans favor the rights of ducks to marry lawn furniture, so we're probably pretty safe there.

I predict if elected, Obama will do zero to make this a reality.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-09 18:55, rockwall wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/again......738.html

Wow. Who knew the Democrat Party had so many bigots?

(OK, yes, that was a rhetorical question.)

You're talking about West Virginia, after all. They would probably have changed their voter registrations to Republican back when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed, but the problem was that they didn't know how. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-05-09 18:27, Woland wrote:
Interesting that despite the polling data, Lobo, it appears that every State referendum on the issue has defined marriage as meaning one man and one woman. As in North Carolina yesterday, with a 61% to 39% vote.

One of the great things about our democracy is that we understand that civil rights aren't determined by a majority vote. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed if it had been put up to a popular vote. There will never be a shortage of bigots.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 19:36, mastermindreader wrote:

... about our democracy ...

I wonder who will rush to be the first to 'correct' you. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 19:36, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-05-09 18:27, Woland wrote:

One of the great things about our democracy is that we understand that civil rights aren't determined by a majority vote. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 would not have passed if it had been put up to a popular vote. There will never be a shortage of bigots.

Bob, that's why Obama's position on gay rights is so disappointing:

Quote:
ABC News has only released one brief clip of Obama's conversation about gay marriage today, but it seems fairly clear from the network's coverage that his announcement amounts to much less than meets the eye. He now believes that gay couples should be able to marry. He doesn't believe they have a right to do so. This is like saying that black children and white children ought to attend the same schools, but if the people of Alabama reject that notion—what are you gonna do?

The key language in the ABC News write-up is this:

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own.

On this afternoon's special broadcast, Jake Tapper echoed that point: "The president said he thought this was a state-by-state issue."

Well, before Roe v. Wade, abortion was a state-by-state issue, too. So was slavery. There are 44 states in which gay men and women are currently barred from marrying one another. Obama's position is that, while he would have voted the other way, those 44 states are perfectly within their rights to arbitrarily restrict the access of certain individuals to marriage rights based solely on their sexual orientation.

More here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Man, it'd be funny if (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL