We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Concentration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The MailMan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of The MailMan
Hi folks.

I suffer from Adult Inattentive ADD and find that it affects my motivation to get started with learning new things, and to keep at a practice session once I have started.

I thought I'd throw the floor open to everyone discussing how they get over motivational slumps? Do you set goals and rewards? When and where do you practice to get the best from yourself?

I'm hoping to gather some new motivational tips.
HenrikHyldig
View Profile
New user
From the land of Denmark I bring you
71 Posts

Profile of HenrikHyldig
When I quit smoking I found my self more motivatet to practise with my coins, it helped me to have something to do with my hands instead of searching for the lighter!

For me the practice is now a way to relaxe.

So if you smoke, it could help to stop. Smile
-o- Henrik Hyldig -o-

()()
('.') < My magic bunny (Be careful! He bites)
(")(")
Bugatti
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Bugatti
Generally, as with all things in life, my motivation for magic is waxing and waning over the years. Sometimes I don´t practise for a couple of weeks and I don´t think a lot about magic either, then I have weeks which are literally packed with magic (i.e. mentalism); practising new effects, reading new material, browsing the Café, etc. What helps best for me, is watching videos of the most stunning performances out there. Good motivation! The other thing (...which might only work for me though): If I really don´t have any spare time for it, e.g., because I have to prepare for an exam, or do other duties (which I am not so fond of either), I get a hell lot of destruction out of this beautiful art Smile

Therefore I would suggest; give up smoking, as Henrik advised you (which you should anyway, if you are a smoker), watch motivational videos and arrange a lot of other duties which would normally ask for your full attention and don´t leave any room for magic...
Richard Schneider
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Richard Schneider
Set a goal to develop a short set of easy tricks. Practice it to the point where you're comfortable with the presentation as well as the mechanics. Then get out there and start performing it. The enjoyment of performing can bring great motivation to practice (and thus improve your performance).
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
MailMan... I too suffer from the same and have the attention span of a gnat (what my family says).

Richard’s advice is dead on... setting a goal and getting satisfaction from the accomplishment works for me. Don’t practice with the TV on too helps... LOL.

Good luck,
Bruce
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
The tricks that you love the most. will be the best ones to motavate you. and hold your attention the longest. and the way I quit smoking was to set a goal on something I wanted.that cost quite a bit. and every week I would put back my smoking money for it.by the time I had enough money it buy it. I had quit smoking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Concentration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL