The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc title (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Back in the day, way back in the day, honmorary doctorates trumped earned doctorates in prestige--they represented true accomplishment in and/or beyond the halls of academe, rather than a convenient--and generous--monetary donation.

I, however, will bridge the two worlds by granting an honorary doctorate for a mere pitance to any and all who feel they meet the requirements. PM me with details and the log-in for your Paypal account.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If I give you my PayPal details will you put something in it for me?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
As long as it has your password, I'll put in a note of heart-felt thanks.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Docc Hilford's name is John Hilford. It appears that he is not using "Docc" in some situations now.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Heart felt thanks? That'll make my PayPal account more full than its been in a long time Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-03-08 14:26, Bill Fienning wrote:
Docc Hilford's name is John Hilford. It appears that he is not using "Docc" in some situations now.

middle name. ...I think.
But he apparently has a D.D. as well, so he's covered either way.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I'm not a Doctor, But I played one on TV.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I have my J.D., so I have earned the doctorate, but don't get to use the title. I want to appropriate it for everyday use!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
So many lawyers think so. Actually, the LL.D. (Legum Doctor) is the advanced law degree that entitles one to style oneself a doctor of laws (though few actually use the title Dr.) The Juris Doctorate inhabits the same academic level as the M.A. and allows the title Esquire to be attached to the name but not Doctor.

--from a fellow J.D.

BC
Phasmologist
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
To avoid confusion, just use "Colonel."

Signed,
Colonel Critter.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Prof BC,

I respectfully disagree with the contention that a JD is not a doctorate and is the same level as a MA.

The name of the degree itself conifrms that it is a doctorate. I will now quote from Wikipedia, not from the position that it is the infallibale answer to all, but simply for ease and speed: "The term "Doctor of Law" refers to the degree of Juris Doctor (JD), which in the U.S. is the only first professional law degree... the J.D. is also a doctorate (the highest professional doctorate in law), as evinced by universities' description of the S.J.D. as a a "postdoctoral degree." The American Bar Association has issued a Council Statement stating that the J.D. be considered as being equivalent to the Ph.D. for educational employment purposes."

I'm not arguing history, the origins of the degree or anything else, I just respectfully disagree with the claim that a JD is not a doctorate.

Not that any of this is relevant to the post, so I will go away now.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Keep in mind that Dr. Walford Bodie's "M.D." stood for "Merry Devil."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
This would be the easiest......

http://www.miskatonic-university.org/

Others take 8 to 20 years of hard work

How have you been Paul? Back in Texas anytime soon?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Hunter S. Thompson's doctorate was honorary, but that didn't stop him from using the title Smile
~Will Rogers
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
As a full professor, I thought about using that title, but Vernon got there first...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
To further confuse matters- I know some Professors who have PhD's and PsyD's who don't like to be called "Doctor" because they think it sounds pretentious these days, but my boss even makes some of her close friends use the title.
Make-a-da-world-go-round.
~Will Rogers
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2012-03-08 14:26, Bill Fienning wrote:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
517 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
I earnt my title the old fashioned way, by spending sevens years of my life slaving away in graduate school then teaching in an academic setting.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 12:56, critter wrote:
To further confuse matters- I know some Professors who have PhD's and PsyD's who don't like to be called "Doctor" because they think it sounds pretentious these days

I'm one of 'em (PsyD).
I wouldn't want to call myself or be called Doctor (or Bachelor or Master for that matter).
Doctorates are protected by law, in name and program (in my neck of the woods anyway )..
Professor however isn't.
So you could call yourself Professor Schlong, but not Prof.Dr. Schlong.
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc title (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL