The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Soldiers Deck of Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I posted it. So you know how I feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPKpIuX3......tu.be%3E
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Really very nice!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Wow! Very, very nice. Smile

That would be a great routine to do at the Veterans Administration Hospital.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
The original story came from a record by Wink Martindale - who later went on to game show host fame.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
This is very nice!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The earliest reference to the story appears to date back to 1762. Here's a very brief history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deck_of_Cards
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks so much for sharing that, it's beautiful.

I don't normally go for Sam the bellhop type effects, but this is absolutely fantastic and anyone with a heart will be drawn in.

A great message and a great way of spreading the word that will at least make people think and perhaps even start talking about the lord again. That in turn could start them on their journey towards having a relationship with god.
theamazingryan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of theamazingryan
Felt a little cheesy, maybe because I'm not a deeply patriotic american, but the finale was gorgeous.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Hello all, I have a request. Does anyone know where I can get a set of cards made up like on the finale of this routine?

I plan on doing this routine for my nephew and son who are both in the military. I also would like to do this to the vets at the VA hospital where I go for treatment.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

P.S. BTW, I have already PM'd nonvpro. He is not the performer of the trick and doesn't know who is.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Edh

Justin Flom is the preformer and he can be contacted through http://justinflom.com/?p=472
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
@truesoldier, thank you very much for the link.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
When I read the original, (18th century), years ago, I'd always thought of it as a soldier blagging his way amusingly out of a charge: cards being, at the time, the devil's playthings. Now I see that some people see it differently.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Ha! Never thought of it that way, tomsk192. But that's probably what happened. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 23:54, tomsk192 wrote:
... Now I see that some people see it differently.

perhaps in a "yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus" way - never mind the confirmation bias issues

Maybe Jonathan Swift had some pies made to test his modest proposal... what do you think?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 21:24, edh wrote:
@truesoldier, thank you very much for the link.

No Problem, glad I could be of help
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 17:52, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 23:54, tomsk192 wrote:
... Now I see that some people see it differently.

perhaps in a "yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus" way - never mind the confirmation bias issues

Maybe Jonathan Swift had some pies made to test his modest proposal... what do you think?

I think Swift was more partial to claret than babies, as far as nourishment goes. And who can blame him?

I have always felt, Jonathan, that his proposal was perhaps too modest.
chrom
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of chrom
I loved this performance. It is making it's rounds on the social media sites as well and getting a lot of play. I just love the story though a lot of people seem to be hung up on the religious elements which I did not find oppressive at all.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2012-03-11 17:52, Big Sam wrote:
The original story came from a record by Wink Martindale - who later went on to game show host fame.

Sam

Wink Martindale broke me into show business as a Mars Guard.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
It seems their really is a Soldiers Deck of Cards - http://www.newtsgames.com/soldiers-deck-......rds.html
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 00:36, edh wrote:
Hello all, I have a request. Does anyone know where I can get a set of cards made up like on the finale of this routine?

I would guess that from whichever country you hail, you can find a photo that stirs the hearts of your fellow .... (fill in the blank) that you could transpose to pasteboard to end with a moving graphic. We all tend to think from "our country's" point of view (as so we should) but all countries have their war heroes.

Have a great weekend.
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Soldiers Deck of Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL