The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14~15~16 [Next]
MotionMagician
View Profile
New user
Fresno, CA
17 Posts

Profile of MotionMagician
It is what I expected but not what I had hoped for. I havent played with it yet but I did watch the video and get a feel for whats involved.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Man, this is killing me! I (like a lot of others) am waiting for a detailed review. Without hinting at the method of course. Anyone?

Doug
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 15:01, MotionMagician wrote:
It is what I expected but not what I had hoped for. I havent played with it yet but I did watch the video and get a feel for whats involved.

Couldn't agree more.

Played with it for a short while, will take lots of work to get it as (consistently) clean as the video demo.

Hype machine in overdrive again methinks! I'll never learn.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1652 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Even the demo video wasn't consistently clean, considering the flash behind the tie that was mentioned before. If you can get it to work well every time, is it usable?
MotionMagician
View Profile
New user
Fresno, CA
17 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-03-28 16:25, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Even the demo video wasn't consistently clean, considering the flash behind the tie that was mentioned before. If you can get it to work well every time, is it usable?

The flash behind his tie was actually a reflection off of his button on his shirt...nothing to to with the effect or method so please ignored that Smile

Usable yes, practical, not so much...IMO
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 14:50, Magicsquared wrote:
Heads up, magic Café, by censoring the letters d a m n, you've made my comment look weirdly explicit when it's completely tame.

It's your own fault for using such an obscene, filthy phrase as "d a m ning with faint praise." You'd never find somebody like Alexander Pope using such language!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I guess the guys have been busy bees and packing long into the night - I got my 'dispatched' email a couple of hours ago...
I've asked to be banned
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Hope it arrives soon...
:)
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 18:14, IAIN wrote:
I guess the guys have been busy bees and packing long into the night - I got my 'dispatched' email a couple of hours ago...

Me too. They may have just been late updating online accounts.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 16:23, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 15:01, MotionMagician wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Played with it for a short while, will take lots of work to get it as (consistently) clean as the video demo.

Hype machine in overdrive again methinks! I'll never learn.

Thanks, Jamie! That's all I needed to know! Smile
MotionMagician
View Profile
New user
Fresno, CA
17 Posts

I will be playing with this tonight and testing it out on my girlfriend so I will let you know how it goes!
MotionMagician
View Profile
New user
Fresno, CA
17 Posts

Well I played with it so here goes...

To be honest, this is something I don't think I would normally perform. There is some set up and its just very knacky but I'm sure could get mastered with some practice. You definitely need to watch your angles and it is best if the coin vanish is from YOUR hands instead of a spectators. It can be done, but much more angle sensitive. For me, the coin through tic tac box seems to make a little more sense to perform just with how its set up and is virtually angle proof. I have not yet played with the third version of vanishing something under a cup, but honestly, I'm not that excited about that version. This is everything I thought it would be but I was hoping for a nice surprise. Either way it is still a very clever concept and could be mastered, but is not ideal for my performance. I will probably just use it to show people that come to my house, or things of that nature but too much could go wrong in a real performance for me.

I definitely do not want to deter anyone form this effect, I am simply stating my opinions. Without giving away the methoed, I can say that I personally havent had much experience with this particular method, but I'm sure those familiar with the method could master it!

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
I'm less excited now. Smile
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Smile

does not sound to good...

Quote:
On 2012-03-29 00:25, MotionMagician wrote:

To be honest, this is something I don't think I would normally perform. There is some set up and its just very knacky but I'm sure could get mastered with some practice. You definitely need to watch your angles and it is best if the coin vanish is from YOUR hands instead of a spectators. It can be done, but much more angle sensitive. For me, the coin through tic tac box seems to make a little more sense to perform just with how its set up and is virtually angle proof. I have not yet played with the third version of vanishing something under a cup, but honestly, I'm not that excited about that version. This is everything I thought it would be but I was hoping for a nice surprise. Either way it is still a very clever concept and could be mastered, but is not ideal for my performance. I will probably just use it to show people that come to my house, or things of that nature but too much could go wrong in a real performance for me.

I definitely do not want to deter anyone form this effect, I am simply stating my opinions. Without giving away the methoed, I can say that I personally havent had much experience with this particular method, but I'm sure those familiar with the method could master it!

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
It's one for the drawer of faded dreams I'm afraid.

After putting in hours on this last night it's just not worth the effort.

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1421 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi Jamie,
I'm confused, we didn't sent you a copy yesterday and Hocus Pocus dispatched yesterday too in the US. Did you courier one over from the US on a same day delivery?
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Oops! Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
HA.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-03-29 00:25, MotionMagician wrote:

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician

Doesn't seam so bad, he did say it could be mastered! I enjoy effects that take some work to get right. Sometimes when their to easy to learn, I don't appreciate them as much.

Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
How much money do people have to lose before a company gets banned for promoting garbage? I don't own this device but talking general, its obvious many are not happy and feel the demo video was BS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL