The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
Oh and no, Jamie never told us how he got an early copy, despite repeated demands! I'm guessing that he never had a copy and was just trolling and got caught out!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Practicality is subjective... Everyone seems to assume that for an effect to be practical, you have to be able to use it in a walk-around situation with a quick reset. Maybe someone can make use of the cup idea in The Vanishing on stage and it becomes totally practical for them. Who knows. Please specify why you think it's impractical when you refer to something as such.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Yes, it is funny that Jamie avoids any questions relating to where and when he purchased this? Jamie- what's the truth? Why do I care? Well, you jumped on me for being "cheeky" for requesting a review by someone who has purchased this which would help me make an informed choice about purchasing this. Something that I have offered many times to Café members and something many Café members themselves request. It seems the "cheeky" one might be you here. So what' the deal?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that perhaps Jamie received a comp copy to evaluate it and generate buzz...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Whatever. It looks great in the demo. If you are a person that does not want to practice, fine, but don't talk a bunch of noise about how "Your friend said"

We have first hand info from other people that say the hookup is good. I can guess what the gimmick is and I love the stuff. I have used I for years and have an easy time not breaking.

Anyway, I have a friend who has a dog, and that dog saw a guy that lived in a town that had a place over by the thing, and inside this place they actually talked about blah blah blah.
James

Quote:
On 2012-03-31 12:20, saysold1 wrote:
A good friend of mine just got this yesterday and called to give me the scoop.

Not good feedback.

He said this would have been great in a Mark Wilson magic type book, but not to release as an effect.

Those above saying to give Shin a break etc are not doing any favors for this talented young man by rationalizing a series of hurried /so-so release disappointments and the infamous video incident.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Totally agree Patrick. Except in this case it would probably be exposure. Let's not expose this, just because some people don't like it.
James

Quote:
On 2012-04-01 00:24, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Practicality is subjective... Everyone seems to assume that for an effect to be practical, you have to be able to use it in a walk-around situation with a quick reset. Maybe someone can make use of the cup idea in The Vanishing on stage and it becomes totally practical for them. Who knows. Please specify why you think it's impractical when you refer to something as such.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Not sure you're hunch is correct Saysold1!

From Jaime:

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:36am               
It's one for the drawer of faded dreams I'm afraid.

After putting in hours on this last night it's just not worth the effort.

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.
Dominic Reyes

Veteran user
England
384 Posts Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:51am               
Hi Jamie,
I'm confused, we didn't sent you a copy yesterday and Hocus Pocus dispatched yesterday too in the US. Did you courier one over from the US on a same day delivery?
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
IMHO, at the right time and the right place, this will blow people away. As stated above, it's not for walk around. I also agree that the coin vanish is the best part and this should have been a download at half the price.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 01:03, saysold1 wrote:
I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that perhaps Jamie received a comp copy to evaluate it and generate buzz...

Could be. But if that was the case...why not just say so? It's not as if anyone could accuse him of giving it a positive review in exchange for a free copy. And, as Mike points out, Dominic apparently had no knowledge on the 29th of Jamie being sent a copy, free or otherwise.

Mike, I agree: IF Jamie gave the product a negative review before he'd actually seen it, that would be...cheeky to say the least.

What's especially strange is that, early in the thread, Jamie posted more than once about how he was going to take a wait-and-see approach with The Vanishing rather than pre-ordering it, 'cause it looked too good to be true...and then, somehow, he has a copy on the 28th...despite Dominic not sending him one.

It could be nothing, of course. He might be along any minute to explain how he got a copy so early.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Maybe this is actually an April Fool and we will all get our money back. Smile
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 06:03, 8a22a wrote:
Maybe this is actually an April Fool and we will all get our money back. Smile

I managed to get part of my money back by selling it on. What I lost in terms of the difference is what I think this 'secret' was worth. After this and Drift I will never pre-order again. Mind you I said that last time ;-)
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 01:21, mike storz wrote:
Not sure you're hunch is correct Saysold1!

From Jaime:

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:36am               
It's one for the drawer of faded dreams I'm afraid.

After putting in hours on this last night it's just not worth the effort.

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.
Dominic Reyes

Veteran user
England
384 Posts Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:51am               
Hi Jamie,
I'm confused, we didn't sent you a copy yesterday and Hocus Pocus dispatched yesterday too in the US. Did you courier one over from the US on a same day delivery?

It's hardly a great mystery. The Magic Café is a public forum that anyone can read; therefore, many people choose not to post under their real names. I'm sure that Dominic has sold loads of them to people who don't use their real name on public forums.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi Caliban

Just to Clarify, I can 100% confirm That the person who posts here as 'Jamie' did not receive one from us before he posted his 'review'.
However, although he is based in the UK, I suppose he could have travelled to the US and picked up a copy from Hocus Pocus on the morning of release, but that would not be the most cost effective shipping method to choose. Smile

I really value his opinion, but I did find it strange and wanted to check incase he had fallen victim to someone selling him a pirate or clone copy of the product.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 10:04, Dominic Reyes wrote:
I really value his opinion, but I did find it strange and wanted to check incase he had fallen victim to someone selling him a pirate or clone copy of the product.

And I'm sure Jamie would want to know that the copy of The Vanishing he sold on to someone else was legitimate. I'm sure whoever bought it would be even more interested in knowing if it's pirated merchandise. Is there any chance Jamie could've gotten a legitimate copy from someone other than you or Hocus Pocus in the U.S.?

If Jamie had ordered it under another name, I'm sure he would have said that by now. He could clear this up by simply stating where he got his copy and how he managed to have it on 3/28, if he didn't get it from Dominic. He doesn't seem to want to do that, though.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Played around with this a bit already - it looks just like in the demo, if you're careful with the angles. You can't have anyone behind you or on your immediate left for the coin vanish. If you can perform in those conditions, then this vanish really does look clean and magical. So it has its place as a legitimate vanish. Wouldn't try this in the spectator's hands, though, unless it was in a dark and noisy environment, such as a bar, with a spectator who was already proven to be cooperative and "into" the magic - in which case it might be worth a go.

Don't buy it for the "gimmick," but for the idea. Agree that it should have been more like $15 (and probably will be soon), but then pricing is very subjective. Not sure how original it is - it's hard to believe that this method and effect haven't been done before. I'll leave it to others who are more knowledgeable to answer that question.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think it's pretty clear Jamie didn't actually have a copy. He just has a 'ego' thing where he likes to appear to be one of the guys in the know. Ever since he posted his, "I'm just happy to have played a small part in taking down the WPR", I've had my suspicians about his motives.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 14:07, rockwall wrote:
I think it's pretty clear Jamie didn't actually have a copy. He just has a 'ego' thing where he likes to appear to be one of the guys in the know. Ever since he posted his, "I'm just happy to have played a small part in taking down the WPR", I've had my suspicians about his motives.

Well, I would hope that's not the case. I think negatively reviewing a product you haven't seen is just about the worst thing you could do on this message board, second only to exposure. In fact, it's potentially worse than exposure -- both hurt a fellow magician, but it's at least possible to accidentally expose a secret; it's not possible to accidentally claim you've seen something you haven't.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I received a legitimate copy. I gave evidence to the member I sold it to that the copy was legitimate (based on my original order documentation) when he queried it. He was perfectly satisfied.

For a dealer to discuss a customers purchase on an online forum is bad form, and a potential breach of the data protection act. I notice you didn't call me out when I gave Mix a good review, only when I gave The Vanishing a bad one. Hmmmm.

I'm all the more disappointed as you well know I've been a good customer of yours and have consistently said good things about your business on these forums.

Frenchy, why do you keep trying to discredit me? There are many people on the Café who are fed up of your stalker like behaviour of certain members. Maybe you keep popping up whenever I post because you fancy me?! Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Jamie, I don't know you. But it does seem strange you haven't outright clearly stated where you purchased The Vanishing. It affects your credibility, IMO.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Maybe because it's NOYFB how or where he got it?

The real question is why does one total stranger feel as though they can demand private information from another? Just because someone has the audacity to ask a question in no way compels the subject to answer.

Translation: MYOFB.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL