The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..14~15~16 [Next]
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Was very excited to find what the "Extremely Versatile Gimmick" actually was. Was expecting some clever craftsmanship. Smile
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Quote:
On 2012-03-29 03:36, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
It's one for the drawer of faded dreams I'm afraid.

After putting in hours on this last night it's just not worth the effort.

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.

I think you could make it more practical if you wear glasses. Smile
oldspin
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of oldspin
OK, I got this yesterday. And as soon as I opened and saw the gimmick my heart just sank! My first thought was “I’ve been taken”! I’ve done the “other version” at least 25 years ago and I’ve worked quite a bit with these gimmicks and its other uses and felt that this is probably just a rip-off variation of it. BUT, after watching the video from beginning to end I can say that I’m extremely pleased with my purchase. Here’s why:

First, when you initially watched the demo/trailer you had no idea what the gimmick was. It fooled me and plenty others. That’s a fact.

Second, even if someone told you what the gimmick was, most likely even as a magician you still wouldn’t be able to figure out how it was used to achieve the effect.

Third, and most importantly, the effect looks absolutely magical.

I thought the hookup is ingenious and what this whole DVD was about. Yes, it’s simple and most probably why some people may be disappointed. But that’s the beauty of it. It’s definitely a huge step over the other method and allows for a more natural looking handling. In fact, I think you can even use this hook-up for the “other version”.

Because of the nature of the gimmick I think there will always be some people that won’t be comfortable playing with it; there will always be some that are more naturally finessed at using these gimmicks than others. It’s the same complaint when the “other version” came out. Just like some people learn the pass quickly and others take forever to get the same results and others just never attain it. So for some people this will remain in their drawers.

As for the price, that’s just capitalism at work. I personally felt the price was not unreasonable.

Shin Lim: you’re still young. If you keep going the way you’re going and just ignore the subtle hostilities that are occasionally thrown your way, you look to be a future FISM winner!
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Let's be honest though. There is no gimmick. It could have been a video download and half the price.
MotionMagician
View Profile
New user
Fresno, CA
17 Posts

Profile of MotionMagician
Quote:
On 2012-03-30 12:39, 8a22a wrote:
Let's be honest though. There is no gimmick. It could have been a video download and half the price.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Mine is for sale in the sale section of the Café.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Jamie, where did you get yours, and how did you get it so early?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
Got mine today. I can understand the mixed reactions from the gimmick to the actual practicalities of performing the effect. As a previous post stated my heart sank when I saw the gimmick, but after watching the DVD I realised that I wasn't buying an effect, I was buying a piece of Shin's genius thinking. I think the world of magic has drastically changed in terms of selling stuff like this (but I'll get to that later). Apart from the coin vanish from your own hands and maybe a spectators, the other effects are impractical and purely based around very well made demos. The paper and cup vanish is TOTALLY impractical. Something like this would be done as an impromptu with a coffee cup and a borrowed note. However the prep required means that this is completely impossible to achieve. I love the afterthought that Shin seemed to have on the DVD by showing a chop cup routine where it could be used. The fact is that it would actually be easier to use the old fashioned loading techniques and misdirection as your average punter would never tell the difference. This is my own opinion!
To sum up, the coin vanish is brilliant and will take some practice and some balls. It looks amazing and really is the only effect worth doing this for as a totally clean vanish!
I love the genius of it!
If I may give an opinion though.......... If there's a demo that someone does in a studio that looks too good to be true then it probably is, otherwise they'd be doing it in front of a surrounded audience. In this circumstance the angles are never great. If like me you do a lot of work surrounded with minimal audience management then stop buying stuff like this as a preorder and it will become an instant download for £7! I know I'm a newbie here as a poster but Ive got over 20 years of accumulated material that has been invaluable to me. I started buying effects recently that I thought would be worth the money and have been left sorely disappointed. The prices are high because the magician has changed into someone that wants immediate satisfaction, with James Bond technology for the lowest price available, and guess what, it never is. And also wants it preordered! Why preorder it? I didn't preorder my copies of Fooler Doolers and they absolutely outweigh absolutely everything I have bought over the last 3 months.
This has turned into a bit of a preach, sorry about that, not my intention.
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
I know I preordered this along with The Drift. Never, ever, ever again! I did so with the thought that magic had jumped leaps and bounds forward. I was mistaken! The only part of it that has jumped forward is the quality of the preview vids! Now, where's my copy of Royal Road LOL!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
That's a fair and balanced rant freedomboy!
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
Thanks Jamie! I think my point is that as mostly a community of semi pro and hobbyist magicians we should stop paying so much money for ideas and suggestions! I'd actually pay more money for a routine than a single perfect illusion. I think this is where things have gone wrong and I know I've played/paid my part in this. No more though!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Thanks oldspin and Freedomboy for your nicely written reviews!
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3746 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just finished watching the portion of the dvd involving the vanishing of a coin. While most people by now will probably have a good idea of the gimmick involved, the set up and the choreography involving the vanish and reappearance of the coin is very creative and original. There are angle issues making this impractical for walkaround. However, if you an do this one on one or two or three people, the coin vanish would be quite amazing. What makes it amazing is that do the vanish with short sleeves or with a t-shirt negating even the remote possibility of using a re.l or p..l. In fact, you really have to wear short sleeves or a t-shirt to do this particular effect. You cannot do it with long sleeves, a jacket or a suit.

Do to the fagile nature of the gimmick it may be difficult to repeat the vanish/reappearance of a coin more than a few times, if that much.

This certainly will not take the place of a Raven or similar devices but it is a very novel and magical approach to make a coin vanish in short sleeves or a t-shirt and being able to cleanly show your hands empty and then to make it reappear in your hand or in a spectator's hand. If you are willing to put in the practice and want to perform a coin vanish with one, two or three people in front of you, this is a very magical coin vanish and reappearance of a coin.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Watched it now...

I do think the gimmick side of things was way over-sold... however, the set-up/usage of it is very simple and clever...which is something to be applauded certainly...

and definitely not worried about price, as I kinda think magic and mentalism is too cheap on the whole - which leads people to not treat it with the love and care it deserves...

so yes, a bit cheeky with the "gimmick" blurb - but overall, very interesting and worth investigating...
I've asked to be banned
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
What substitutes do you think are better?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
So where is this going to be unloaded, Tricks for sale or DVD's for sale forum ? ;0) I'm guessing that since most of us own the gimmick it's the DVD's for sale forum.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
A good friend of mine just got this yesterday and called to give me the scoop.

Not good feedback.

He said this would have been great in a Mark Wilson magic type book, but not to release as an effect.

Those above saying to give Shin a break etc are not doing any favors for this talented young man by rationalizing a series of hurried /so-so release disappointments and the infamous video incident.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Saysold1, My take is Shin should just do his magic. I have heard nothing but good things about him as an entertainer.

He should just stay out of the product side of the business. For now. Maybe for a few years. Maybe 5 or 6 years. Until he "gets" it.

Right now his reputation is in a tail spin. The product side of the business is brutal for practically anyone. I can think of one extremely talented magician who had great products to sell then SANK himself. Now he is much less respected in the magic community and most likely struggling financially compared to just a few years ago.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Did Jamie Ferguson ever say how he managed to have a copy of The Vanishing on 3/28? I can't imagine he missed every post asking about that....
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Freedomboy
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Freedomboy
This really should have been an instant download! After buying this effect it is so obvious that the coin vanish is the only effect that was ever considered to be worthy! The tictac and cup routine were added to make it a somewhat worthy DVD release. Both of those ideas are so ridiculously impractical! The coin vanish is very good but certainly not worth the price! This should have been an "instant download" price or been part of a collection of other actually practical ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL