The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Table Surface of a U.F. GRANT'S TRICKY TABLE TOP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
I am trying to restore the surface of a U.F. GRANT'S TRICKY TABLE TOP. The table is somewhat faded in places and as a result the gimmicks can be seen on the table surface. To feel the table top it feels like thin sand paper is some places yet in others it feels like velvet. I don't know if I should sand it down and if I did what would I replace it with? If I used pool table velvet it would be too thick.. Is there such thing as a velvet type spray on paint. I have photos of the gimmick areas via PM. I have enclosed a basic photo with this post.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, it is called "Flocking". It does come in paint form. In the old days, it was very messy and was applied by hand.

Check out paint, auto paint stores, and craft stores.
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Thank you..
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
I just looked at that site Michael .. I may go with that pressure felt sheeting they have instead.. thanks ..
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The big advantage of flocking fibers is that the edges will be very true and perfectly blended. With self-adhesive fabrics, you may find a very fine white line along the edge, which is the adhesive itself. For your application, you don't want to highlight the edges of the traps! Sheets are also prone to peeling up if the edges get rubbed too often.

But, if you do go for the self adhesive velvet, I'd like to suggest McMaster-Carr's product.

I use it and it's great. http://www.mcmaster.com/#velvet-fabric/=gky2bz

I have also used light dampening velvet from Edmund Scientific. It is also very good.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
OK let me see if I can find a vid on how to do this..It look's a little complicated and it means I am probably going to have to take off the fringe or replace it after I do the flocking.

I am Kevin in Canada ,, the guy who bought your sucker raisin box.. real happy with that by the way.. Still have my eye on one those die boxes.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear you like the Raisin Box!

I figured that mini flock sprayer was a much better price for a one-off job than buying a pro set-up.

Here is a video that shows one in use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFjorzlI3k

Good luck with your table!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Flocking comes in paint cans as well. The auto paint supply stores carried it. I have also seen it in the paint can section of many stores.

The problem with the Mak table is that it is made out of tempered Masonite. I don't think you can sand that board or even use paint remover on it to strip off the old flocking.

The best solution is to find the flock spray paint in a spray can. Putting sheet flock on top of the old, will only not stick properly to the old flock.
chrom
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of chrom
I agree with Michael on the mini flocker. I use it on the inside of all of my bandsawn puzzle boxes. So lots of tight corners and inside spaces, and as long as you apply and even coat of the glue you will get a nice even coat of felt. Just make sure you put a drop cloth down (since you are doing a table), I normally do my flocking in a box so that I can clean up the left overs and reuse them. You end up putting down way more than gets applied for that even coat.

Shane
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Don't shy away from flocking because of the application process. It is easy as others have stated above. I bought an antique flocking gun years ago to flock the turntables and record trays of the 1940s jukeboxes I was restoring. I couldn't find the proper adheasive in those days so I just put on a heavy coat of paint and flocked away. Everything turned out great. The process is a bit messy but it is very easy to get great results.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
I am going to order the flocking supplies this weekend.. I am going to due the full process. I spent some time trying to find someone local who sells the supplies and I couldn't find anyone. I am going to sand the table down rough assuming the product will stick better to a rough surface.. My biggest worry is not the flocking.. it's removing the finge,, I don't want the fringe to rip and I don't want to have to replace it as that's what makes the table vintage looking.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Good Luck, I hope it works out for you. A lot of questions un-answered do to the fiber wood and old flocking.

I hope you will list us know how it turns out, and post a picture of your results.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Why not replace the top with a continous piece of triple velvet? FYI: if you do, DO NOT USE ADHESIVE SPRAY TO GLUE IT DOWN.

Only edge glue velvet and stretch carefully. If you glue the whole thing it WILL wrinkle.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 12:29, Ekuth wrote:
Why not replace the top with a continous piece of triple velvet? FYI: if you do, DO NOT USE ADHESIVE SPRAY TO GLUE IT DOWN.

Only edge glue velvet and stretch carefully. If you glue the whole thing it WILL wrinkle.

You'd have to know this particular table top to understand why that would not work. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
I can't post pics of the table right,,? if it shows the gimmic so to speak..? I was going to do some before shots.. I have ordered the flocking and the new trim.. did all the sanding and stripping today.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1782 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Would anyone know of a Flocking Supplier in Canada .. Rockler won't ship to Canada. I'm still googleing.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
insidetheeye
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of insidetheeye
Thank you Michael ..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Table Surface of a U.F. GRANT'S TRICKY TABLE TOP (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL