We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DeKolta Chair (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm thinking of adding this illusion into my show but, before doing so, I thought I should get some opinions from members who have worked with this effect. Is this a practical effect to perform? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I know these are general questions, so to help out a little, here is my vision. I think the illusion would be much more versatile if performed on a base with stairs. However, the base and stairs always bothered me since there wasn't any reason for them. Why have a chair raised on a platform? Recently, I was able to answer that question.

In my Oriental Fusion show, the raised platform and chair could be made to look like an Emperor's Throne from Beijing's Forbidden City. I would spin a tale about the Last Emperor, with my daughter appropriately costumed in that role. As the story ends, the cloth (the Emperor's Robe) covers her briefly and she vanishes.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I've never used this illusion, so I won't be much help...but I just had to chime in and tell you that I LOVE the storyline!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have worked it but it is a pain on a normal stage. If you are working built stage in like 4' sections or so, you can make a section of wood staging that pops in and out of the frame it is easy to adapt. The wooden piece in the stage is taken out and the one with your t**p gaffed in.

It is a very strong effect but it does require preparation.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hi Hugh,

I completely understand your concerns with regard to the need to customize a stage. I'm trying to get around this need by using the base and stairs. I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Mike,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm really looking forward to adding this piece into the rest of the show. Most of the pieces in the show are presented as small, theatrical pieces with oriental storyline and motif. Not only does it add meaning to the show, but it really has been a cultural journey for me as well.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someone did this with a chair on a table.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Look into Paul Osborne's books, there is a way to do this without a base or table. You just need curtains or a hiding space behind.
The standard prop with a base is so bulky and suspicious for me.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
That "someone" seems to be Copperfield...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwbABPFwgdQ
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2012-03-09 19:30, Lou Hilario wrote:
Look into Paul Osborne's books, there is a way to do this without a base or table. You just need curtains or a hiding space behind.
The standard prop with a base is so bulky and suspicious for me.

Hi Lou,

I agree. I looked into various methods without the base, but the illusion often needs to be performed quite a bit upstage. Although there are definite drawbacks with the base, it does allow the illusion to be performed center stage. Hopefully, the suspicion for the base can be lessened by giving it meaning with the whole Emperor's Throne concept. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Here's one I built for Quatetto Gelato Musical:

Bravo TV short film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=---bxvBBx......a_player

Live show with audience reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6JtPVRj......a_player

With the table/steps version you just need any stage that has wings, or somewhere to wheel the steps.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would take the idea to a theatrical set designer and have them design an appropriate base that looks right. You don't even have to tell him what is for. Just tell him things like a 6 diameter top space, 18" rise off the floor, wheels (maybe retractable), etc. Then you gaff it up yourself latter.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi kent,

I will give you a guide.
google: berbertrading.com
opium coffee table.
Let a woodworker make you such a table,
but a bit longer and a higher.
The tabletop could also be the b***e.
Put a throne on it and, because it is
somewhat higher, a small step (2 step)
from the same material as the table (teak ?)
Cover the table and step with rich cloth-material.
Work this out professionally and you have a great illusion.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi Kent,

Sorry I did forget to tell you
that the steps have to be open.
The DeKolta Chair is a vanish
(as in your story) and NOT a
transposition.
I can't believe that an audience
takes a large box as a step
as in the "short film".
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2012-03-10 11:24, hugmagic wrote:
I would take the idea to a theatrical set designer and have them design an appropriate base that looks right. You don't even have to tell him what is for. Just tell him things like a 6 diameter top space, 18" rise off the floor, wheels (maybe retractable), etc. Then you gaff it up yourself latter.

Richard

If you decide to go this route let me know...
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

John with all due respect it is not just a box but a set of 3 steps in the illusion I built, and the illusion got gasps as evident in the "live" video if you watch it. It wouldn't have got gasps if they didn't think the performer was still sitting on the chair now would they. I believe you are thinking too much like a magician. I'd personally have to go with the Proof on the live video over your assumption, (thats just me) but in the end it is how one performs a prop.

What helps take heat off the steps is that Quartetto Gelato performers use the prop and the steps as that, props, for instance playing on the steps, using the table prior, etc, so that when they go to do the vanish, nothing seems be out of the ordinary, no matter how big or small the steps are.

I would personally prefer the steps at the front(but they asked me to put them to the side), and they did ask me to build them larger set to accept the large male performer and an instrument if needed, but as evident by the reactions they get during live performances, non of it matters. Sort of like using a blue thumb tip, as long as you know how to perform with the props with the right techniques, it doesn't matter what color your thumb tip is, you should still be able to do the trick, and to me they got the audience gasping so I think they did fantastic, espicially for non magicians.

Kent, A black art version of a Dekolta Chair is much easier to build, but, now you have lighting requirements, backdrop requirements, and have to figure out how to get the vanished performer off stage(even if you don't want to do a teleportation). I'd put the table on a platform with castors so you could at least wheel it off to the wings to free the vanished performer without having to use additional drops or covers. There are of course many other alternatives, So you'll have to weigh the pros and cons and see which method suits you best for your application. If you decide on a method, I'll be happy to pass on any info I have to help you out.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22511 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Peter Loughran, it must give you great feelings of satisfaction and pride to see your work so wonderfully presented and used with such professionalism.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi Kent,

It was not my intention offending anybody.
I was trying the think along the line of the
picture you gave in your first post:
A chinese-like throne to vanish the princess.
Of course the table-vanish of David Copperfield
was for me the basic guideline.
In your story it's easy to use oriental rugs to
cover the dirty work.
For your illusion you don't have to transport anybody,
so I think it's better to have open steps in front of
the table and they are also covered with oriental rugs,
to make the total picture look even better.
Since John Gaughan entered the world of magic, we are
lucky that he changed very much in the way of building illusions.
Mendoza followed also that line and Stolz and others are on their way
climbing on their shoulders.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Hegblini, yes it is a great feeling seeing my hardwork displayed professionally and enjoyed by audiences! I worked for 3 months, both building illusions and props , plus consulting for the show during rehearsals in Niagra Falls. They were awesome to work with and very talented! And I got to build some really cool custom pieces. For non magicians, they do a superb job! They go on tour, so be sure to catch a show if they are in a town near you!
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Wow! This is great advice and guidance. I really appreciate all of the great pointers. Over the course of the last several days, I was absent from the Café and wasn't able to participate in this discussion. However, I was still pursuine answers. I made an extended weekend trip to the Magic Castle. While there, I visited with John Gaughan at his workshop and I also had tremendous discussions about the deKolta Chair design/concept with Murray Hatfield and Jonathan Pendragon. Both of these great illusionists have worked with the Chair and gave some tremendous insight into the recommended design.

Now, having come back home and having the opportunity to check this thread, it is uncanny how close their advice comes to the advice given here. You are all a tremendous wealth of information and your generosity in sharing that knowledge is greatly appreciated. Please keep the suggestions and comments coming, as I frantically continue to make notes. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Dear Kent,

We will be very interested following your steps
creating this illusion. Of course also seeing the
end result.
Pictures or video in this thread ??
The development of new illusion is the
most exciting site of our magic world.
You make your dreams become reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DeKolta Chair (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL