The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DeKolta Chair (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Just a quick update. I placed an initial deposit today to have the illusion built. The base and steps will have a metal frame, but it will be anodized in gold rather than standard silver aluminum. The chair will be a mahogany with royal red cushions on the seat, arms and back. It will also be designed so the cloth can be pulled away from the front of the chair rather than the back. This just seems to be better stagecraft and it will allow me to be at floor level when the vanish actually occurs.

While the illusion is being built, I will be addressing my efforts towards the writing of the script, costuming and staging. This way, by the time the illusion is completed, I should have everything in place and be ready for full rehearsals.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as the build progresses. Thanks again for all of your valuable advice!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi Kent,

Your description is PROMISING.
I hope you have found skilled illusionbuilder,
because that's very important.
A professional designed b***e will be the
core of your illusion.

This way we can see the real value of a
serious thread on the magic Café.
I'm very interested in the results !
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1491 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Sounds great
I look forward go seeing it when it's built
good luck my friend Smile
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
UPDATE: For the last several months, I have been revising the script for this illusion. With the first draft, I included all of the fine details to the story. Then I started editing and deleting anything and everything that distracted from the storyline or conflicted with the desired pacing of the illusion. During this editing process, I also sent a copy of the script to my illusion builder (along with pictures of the actual Emperor's Throne) so he could better share in the vision I had in mind.

At the same time, I have also been focusing my attention to staging, costuming and music. I wanted to add additional decorative elements to the stage, reinforcing the image that this was the Royal Court within China's Forbidden City. Artwork, lanterns, rugs and chairs will help to bring additional life to the story. I have also sourced a great costume designer who is replicating the actual robes that this Emperor would have actually worn. He is also replicating a jacket and cap to resemble a Red Army guard since this also forms part of the script. For this "cultural journey", authenticity of the costuming is very important. The background music is one of the most personal elements of this routine. My father plays the Chinese violin and he has agreed to compose and play the music for this piece. I will have the music digitally recorded and finalized as the rehearsals progress.

Now for the really BIG NEWS. This last week, I took possession of my new illusion! It arrived at the airport just before the weekend. I set it up in my studio and it looks absolutely gorgeous! I will be rehearsing the illusion for the next several months and debuting it during the 2012 Christmas season.

If anyone can teach me how to upload a photo here, I will gladly post some shots of the illusion. Thanks again to everyone for your incredible advice and guidance.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Hi Kent

It's easy Smile Just go down at this page.

When you post a reply, under the blank message rectangle says "Attachment". Click to Examine, find the picture you want to upload at your computer, and then click "Submit Reply" That's all! Smile
The only thing you have to make sure is your image is smaller than 75 KB 500 x 300 pixels (if it's larger you can make it smaller with any image software)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here are some more tips for posting photos, Kent.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I did a couple different DeKolta designs just for fun that are up on my concepts page. The first one and then 4 rows down.

https://stolzillusions.com/design-for-magicians/concepts/

Would love to see your new toy! I like shiny things Smile
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Really nice designs Chris!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
Wow! I love how the designs look!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Here is a photo of the dekolta chair. I have never attached a photo before so I hope this works. I will be removing the gold, decorative elements on the chair and replacing it with Chinese designs.

Kent

Click here to view attached image.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Looks a lot like Gerry Frenette's Stargate steps. Did he built it?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Yes, I worked with Gerry on this illusion. He customized it quite a bit for me but there is still some tweaking I need to do to make it perfect.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I like the concept the stairs in conjuction with the base, looks very open space: from the eyes of audience it`s very decpetive.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Jon Gower
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
33 Posts

Profile of Jon Gower
Hi Kent, A Dekolta doesn't need to be performed "upstage" if you use the cloth in a clever way.

I performed it successfully with audiences on 3 sides on a thrust stage - you just need to get the cloth pull exactly right - demonstrating the vanish before draping the cloth onto the back of the chair.

Admittedly this was using a chair flat on the stage.

Jon
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hi Jon,

Actually, I don't plan on performing it upstage. In fact, that's why I opted awsy from a BA design. I wanted the illusion to be positioned center stage throughout the performance. Also, with this version, the cloth is pulled forward when making the vanish. That way, I'm not hidden by the chair at the moment when the magic happens. The interesting thing about this design is that, the gimmick is still completely hidden even though the cloth is pulled completely away from the chair.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DeKolta Chair (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL