The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm making a table out of plastic milk crates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Hi folks,

I'm doing a little DIY project that I want to run by you. I've got some old plastic milk crates (the square cubes, not the cheap, slightly rectangular ones you find at all of the big box stores) that stack well, are very sturdy, and make a compact pillar roughly 39" high when stacked up 1-2-3.

My plan is to paint these crates (they are currently a dingy brown). On top of the third crate, I'm going to affix some quarter inch chip board with nuts and bolts. The board will then be covered with a pad and decorative cloth, and that will be stapled in place, set onto the crate, and tightened and glued in place from within. Some nice, simple veneer will frame the padded surface and still allow the crates to be stacked.

This would appear to be a very simple project. I'll keep you appraised of its progress, and post pictures when I can.

If I can pull this off, phase two will be a faux fruit crate, turned upside down on the boxes, with a close-up pad on the bottom for a slightly larger playing surface. A servante or some pockets can hang off of the back with little difficulty.

But let's walk before running. Wish me luck. It's raining now. Tomorrow, weather willing, I'll paint.

Mark Finn
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-03-11 00:48, MarkFinn wrote:
Wish me luck.

Good luck! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jsilk7
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of jsilk7
Yea good luck!
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Send some photos if you can.
here's some more good luck!
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Update: It's almost done. Here's a few set-up pics to show the process. I'll add to it when the top is complete.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnswake/s......8370082/
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Will the crates be stacked on their sides so you can use the crate opening as a shelf in which to store stuff? If so, keep in mind the black art principle that could be used to your advantage for concealment.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Update: the table top is finished!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnswake/s......8370082/

In answer to Spellbinder, the crates are stacked upside down, for stability. I like the idea, though. I figured if I needed a shelf in the back, I'd just cut a hole in the side of the crate. See photos. Otherwise, A cloth servante will do nicely.

I'm pleased with the results. There's still some painting to do on the crates, but I like that carnival/flim-flam man feel.

Next up is a custom fruit crate. We'll see if I can't add some trickery to it.

Mark Finn
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm making a table out of plastic milk crates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL