The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey guys.. I have a few questions. Well for one.. when I first started in magic I was a busker.. I used to love to walk around and do "street" magic for everyone. Then I realized I needed to make a little more money so I started doing regular shows.

Well I'm not getting that many bookings this month and next.. and honestly I'm 17 and I graduated last year. I'm trying to buy myself a car and I want to start doing shows in the park. Any advice on routines?.. Length.. how to get people to watch?.. I know it's been discussed before but I kind of need specifics.. and anyone that helps I genuinly appreciate it.

Is there really good money in it?.. I live in jersey.. but I'm a train ride away from central park and washington square park.. thanks again guys..

Justin David
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
David,

There's a pretty big "learning curve" from beginner to paying a car note. The money can be good (real good at times) but it's been my experience (and that of most other magi-buskers I've seen/met) that it'll take awhile (a few months - few years) before the 'big bucks' come in.

Advice: Develop a 10 minute act and do it all day long. Rinse, repeat. Meanwhile, keep thinking Smile , practicing Smileand smiling. Smile

regards,
Doug Conn
http://www.dougconn.com
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL .. rinse and repeat.. haha..

Thanks..

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
Justin,

I have been performing professional for some time now, and since you asked, I am providing you with the routine which gave me the biggest hats on the street.

1 - Linking Rings
2 - Cups and Balls
3 - 20th Century Silks
4 - The amazing Wonder Bar
5 - Zombie
6 - Red hot Mamma
7 - Sponges (more recently Ear plugs)
8 - Floating Cig from TT
9 - Torch to Rose
10- Twisted Sisters

The show takes about 20 Mins and is big and bright so people stop, and amazing so they tip Smile I Hope this helps a little bit.

Dustin
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Excellent advice from Doug. Get a specific routine, practice and perform over and over.

There are lots of great posts here on this topic, so keep digging and use the search facility here.

But here are some additional thoughts...

You may get tired of doing the same routine over and over again, but the people on the street will not have seen it before, so they will appreciate the smoothness of the performance, and your attitude and personality which can one be sharply honed with constant practice.

I started doing a lot of different things, and did OK, but never great. Then I focused on three effects. Rope, Cards, Rings. And do a 10-12 minute "in your face" routine that brings in a good crowd, and brings in a good tip. I can continue to improve those effects and in a pitch, do them dead tired without thinking and still get a great response.

After you have your act ready in your mind, you can take it out for display, and you will find out what really works and what doesn't. For the first 10-12 times out, you may still be working it out. And you may have to toss something out, and add something else, but keep everything Visual and to the point, easy to understand (and appreciate) and don't forget to ask for the money.

I have seen guys perform, and then while folks are leaving they run to catch them and try to pass the hat. Needless to say, they don't get as much as they like.

I have seen others who just sit the hat out, do their thing and wonder why their hat isn't full at the end.

You have to let them know what they can expect, that will help hold them, and you let them know what you expect.(the money)

An explanation at the beginning, and hat lines throughout (no oblivious money grabs, but proper insertions of the facts) will get everyone ready to give - if they were genuinely entertained.

I look at the intro as a "contract between the performer and the people". You tell them to expect to get a good entertaining performance, A visit to a world of fantasy and for some, you may even takes a step back into your magical childhood moments. When you could, even if just for a moment, believe in magic. As for me, if I do my part and deliver to each of you what I have said, I simply expect that you will applaud with opening of your wallets and purses in appreciation allowing me to continue to bring magic to people across America."

Don't be afraid to tell them that you are doing this so that you can buy a car. Challenge them as you perform; "Should someone who can do "THAT" be riding a bicycle around town? (even if you don't ride one... you get the point, don't you?) People like to help others, and if you make it easy by entertaining them and letting them know how they can help you, and giving them specifics about what their help will do, you will be amazed...

Good Luck!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I appreciate EVERYTHING EVERYONE said here.. without a doubt the best advice I think I have gotten.

Don't get me wrong.. I have been performing professionally for awhile now.. (not as long as you veterans =P) but still.. I am no longer as green as I used to be. I know about the practice.. and the patter.. but it's amazing how right you are when you say to ask for the money. You're raised your whole life never to ask anyone.. but then there are certain times that you don't even realize you need to.. of course gracefully.

My thanks to all of you goes beyond words..

Justin David

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Good words from Bro. David (Being a good magician won't neccesarily mean big hats at the end of a street show.)

Another great resource to check is
http://www.performers.net (a bulliten board / site for street entertainers)
Be sure to check out their "lybrary" and the "forums"
there is a load of good advice there.

Good Luck
Doug Conn
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Thanks a million

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I think the best video tape that will help you in this area is Jeff McBride's volume #1 stage magic tape, "The Commando Act."
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Ok Dude, Bro David's right Cards, Ropes and Rings, People just find those three things absolutely fasinating.

Also if you can get a copy of the DVD or Video of McBrides Cammando act I stronly suggest it. When I was starting out I letssay borrowed his ring routine because it is just so amazing to laymen, however don't try and do a silent act like McBride. I don't know if another magician could pull off a silent act on the street, I know I certainly couln't, so use the routine but come up with a comic patter to go with it.

Good luck dude
TMM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL