The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal palm shift sources? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Kokot
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
The "diagonal palm shift" is one of three sleights Roberto Giobbi would have requested of a "fairy godmother." Barry Price cherishes the Erdnase move enough for it to be one of five sleights he would take with him if he "were banished to the moon." In keeping with these plaudits, Darwin Ortiz ("the Annotated Erdnase") and Dai Vernon ("Revelations") devote considerable attention to describing its proper execution.

Despite these excellent written descriptions, it's difficult to understand how the diagonal palm shift should look from the spectator's point of view. It is, however, a move whose difficulty and value demand such knowledge.

For visual help, Ortiz recommends Volume 8 of Vernon's "Revelations" video series and an Earl Nelson tape. I haven't had the good fortune of seeing the Nelson video, but I have viewed the Vernon tape. It lives up to Ortiz's billing, providing valuable advice about achieving the correct little-finger pivot point.

What's missing in the Vernon performance is seeing the sleight in the context of a full routine. As a result, to paraphrase one of Vernon's axioms, a missing piece of the puzzle is how does the performer get into and out of the move.

I suspect there exists a video containing an exemplary handling of the diagonal palm shift. Not being an aficionado of videos, my ignorance of them is vast, so I've yet to discover this visual gem.

I would appreciate any video suggestions Magic Cafe members might have in this regard. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jb
View Profile
New user
Mt. View, CA
24 Posts

Profile of jb
Michael Close performs several palms very similar in handling to the DPS on his Power of Palming/Workers video.

As for what it should look like, I would expect they see you put a card into the middle of the deck and then hand the deck out for shuffling or perhaps place the deck on the table. Occasionally I've seen the move used to control the selection to the bottom but I believe it is better used to remove a card from the deck. Card to wallet perhaps?

jb
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
The greatest exponent of the DPS is Paul Chosse. He has work on it that is unpublished, but for some excellent tips, check out L&L's L.I.N.T.

To see Chosse do stuff with the DPS will stop your heart. Smile

Steven Youell
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4813 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You are very correct, Chosse rules! Smile
Another one that does an awsome DPS that you will never see is Dorian Rhodell...I'm soooooo jealous. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Do you guys find that the DPS can only be done at an angle to the audience? Eg. if the deck is in the left and the palmed card is going into the right hand, I would have to turn a bit left to cover the action of the finger pushing out the card? Or is this just my poor execution?
Smile
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2002-05-08 23:59, Steve Brooks wrote:
You are very correct, Chosse rules! Smile
Another one that does an awsome DPS that you will never see is Dorian Rhodell...I'm soooooo jealous. Smile

And where do you think he learned it?
CHOSSE!

SEY
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-05-09 01:28, jw_2101 wrote:
Do you guys find that the DPS can only be done at an angle to the audience? Eg. if the deck is in the left and the palmed card is going into the right hand, I would have to turn a bit left to cover the action of the finger pushing out the card? [...]

In the Diagonal Palm Shift - as defined by it's appearance in Erdnase - the hand holding the deck (initially) is also the hand that receives the palmed card. That is, most right-handers would hold the deck in the left hand and also palm the card into the left hand.

Anything else is not a true DPS, but a variation; holding the deck in the left hand but stealing and palming the card with the right hand, for example, is actually known as the "L.J. Angle Steal".

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, Thomas, although I'm sure there is already a line forming of others who will take the credit...Smile
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Diagonal palm shift sources? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL