The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Putting Act together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Well I really enjoyed Gazzos lecture and found it very encouraging to give it a go. I loved Kozmo's material too but found Gazzo's approach less intrusive which was Interesting since I always thought his performance was Intimidating with his endearing insults...he's got a Ricky Gervais thing that I could never pull off. Anyways for the three main tricks I was thinking egg bag, liquid metal, and then Chop for the finale. I thought I'd play with Lennart's figurine while people approach. As experienced buskers, do you like my tricks and believe they're workable in that environment? I want to be sure I'm investing my time wisely. Thx for your thoughts!
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Not that I'm an experienced busker but...

The tricks you do don't matter, its all about you!

Pick tricks that don't need any reset or replacement parts.

Start small, pick an opener and closer. Once you get a feel for things adding more material will be easy.

Think modular. Your routines should be able to start and stop whenever you like and flow seamlessly into each other.

TAKE YOUR TIME! DO NOT RUSH!

Talk to people and look them in the eye. Don't just remember their names, use them!

Personal advice from someone who does not work the streets. Stick with Chop and the Egg Bag for now. Use the sharpie stuff from Chop as filler until you have a couple of people. Borrow a $10 and go into Chop, finish just before the Bill in Lemon, which you should save for after the egg bag. People will stick around to see what you did with the $10.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Gazzo, showed you how to do your pitch with just a deck of cards, why not start out taking his advice, work in a coin routine after you have done a pitch for a while and then work the others in as you get more street time. Oh and like he said, just stand there,,, I thought his advice was golden and even thou I am not a true blue street performer I can see where it would draw a cowed.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I thought of chop because of a finale instead of cups and balls...I may learn card to pocket...the truth is I loathe card tricks...I guess I'm biased because I think more of what I like than what people would love to watch...thx for the thoughts guys!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
The tricks don't really matter so much, but I would offer this bit of advice: think of your show in terms of beginning, middle, and end. Start out with something simple or visual but that builds an interest and let's the crowd get to know you. He interactive throughout. Entertain them in the middle and build toward your ending. For the most part, the ending is what they tend to remember and enjoy, so make it special. But have a clearly defined and thought out ending both in terms of the effect and the reaction you want from the audience.

Have a great time!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
My busking act is strictly a rope routine and it works very well for me.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm not familiar with how you perform the effects, but I like that you've got a good solid game plan and are thinking of this with a unique approach as opposed to just copying what others are doing. The question of will it work can only be answered in one way: go to the pitch and find out!

I suggest you consider broadening your scope by having say 10 tricks that may or may not work ... now if the egg bag doesn't draw a crowd, try another of your tricks. By the end of a day, you should be able to test 10 tricks on a pitch and then have a very good idea as to which would work best.

That is not saying put 10 tricks in your show - no - the three trick formula works really well. I'm just saying do 3 tricks, then do 3 other tricks ... now you can compare and contrast the results. Has worked well for me.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Great thoughts guys
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Adjust and be versatile.......

what happens if your 3 don't work at first?

I was once told that its gonna take 1000 shows before I see any results....

that's a rough pill to swallow, but I used it as motivation to get out there and do my show!
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
The best advice I've heard is that a good street performer should be able to do 15 minutes of stand-up/improv. (Gazzo) I've done 5 minutes of stand up and that took me 2 weeks to write...guess that's why I'll never be a good street performer,
Point is, the props and magic are secondary to your relationship with your audience. The props and magic are just vehicles with which to interact with the crowd. Whatever effects you go with, remember that they aren't really what the show's about.
The best advice I've heard is that it's not about getting the audience to like you, it's about getting the audience to know that you like them. (Danny Hustle) I don't like people...guess that's why I'll never be a good street performer.
Learn to find humor in the situation, and learn to show your love to the audience...the rest will take care of itself. (Fun Time Al). That's the best advice you'll ever get on street performing. And no, I can't do either.
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Hey Brent!

Some great suggestions thus far - these guys know what they're talking about!

Here are my two cents: if you feel comfortable with the three tricks you mentioned (Egg bag, Liquid Metal, Chop cut), then it definitely seems like a workable set to me. I would consider rearranging the order to go from Liquid Metal to Egg bag and then Chop cup as a finale because Liquid metal will be most effective on a smaller scale than the other two (i.e. will probably work better as a draw while you're starting to build an edge). The key word on this first effect is MODULAR. You want to have several phases that get progressively bigger and more inclusive so if it's a slow draw you can continue with the routine whereas if you pull quickly, you can establish the audience with a strong finale of metal bending and move into the middle section.

Egg bag to me seems like a natural middler - the effect is straightforward and clear, so it's open to plently of audience participation and comedy (if you're using a comedic style). If you've used your opener to establish yourself as a performer, your egg bag could focus on building that rapport/relationship with individuals and the audience as a whole. Danny Hustle is a great resource for this kind of interaction - as FunTimeAl said, it's about showing the audience that you care about them... their respect and care for you will all come out of that. With the simplicity of the Egg bag, you can focus on calling back names you learned during your draw and picking out situational comedy moments to make each performance unique.

Chop Cup is a beautiful closer. Strong magic, and very open to creative routining that will round out your show as a whole and make it feel like a full piece of street theater. Really think through your final loads and make them meaningful to your particular show. Especially if you're doing something with money (like Kozmo's bill in lime chop cup), this is a great time to do some preliminary hat references to prep the audience for your real hat lines.
I'm also of the opinion that material is secondary to performer/audience relationship, and that basically any material can play depending on how big your personality is. When you first get going, your inclination is probably going to be to get to the big magic moments. One key to understanding street audiences is that yes, they want to see something impressive, but more importantly, they want to have fun and be engaged by a strong personality (note, strong doesn't necessarily mean aggressive or assertive - you can be clumsy/unsure/scared with strong conviction).

Above all, working the streets is about confidence. No one wants to be approached by someone who seems unsure of what theyre doing. Chances are the audience is unsure of how exactly to act, so clear direction will be welcomed (moving them to your desired positions to build a strong edge, explaing your hat lines and telling them what a reasonable tip might be, etc). Be a performer that they can trust to take control of your own show and make it fun for all.

Good luck in planning, and let us know hoe else we can help!

Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
"it's about getting the audience to know that you like them."

cant say I totally agree with that...
if you busk full time...there will be many days where you don't want to be out there doing a show...but you have to because its your full time gig, you have a kid, a habit, a whatever....

frankly, some days its about breaking that bread.

the biggest hat I ever made happened after I was really ****ed off. didn't want to do a show but had to. I intended to do a show to express my hate and dislike for being there. the people saw I was upset, and just going thru the motions. after the show people come up to me and said they loved it. even though I didn't. so whos to say?
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Very true friend Nick. No advice is sound for all people and for every occassion.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
So much advice....so few shows.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How about just start performing stuff you like. Weed out what doesn't work and an act will eventually evolve.
Then you can start tweaking it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Take the three/four effects you are best at, most comfortable with and can do in your sleep.

Choose ones that involve the audience- this is critical.

Then get the heck out there and perform, because as Bobby's saying (not in so many words)the only way to learn what really works for busking and for you is to DO IT.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Bobby, you've goy it all wrong! Going online is the worst thing a full time busker can do. Who would work hard all day on their show only to give all their secrets away to a buncha weekend warrior hacks that will only thank them by crowding the pitch at prime time! Who does that appeal to? Naw, this place is for chest beating and arm chair quarter backing! That's why I'm their leader ;o)
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I do believe a Bluebird of Happiness exploded from the dessicated wit just displayed by Al.

And I admire that.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm still not sure what Bobby is trying to say??

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
JoeJoe, I think he's remarking on the fact that people hand out advice readily (nothing wrong with that) even though they don't have much experience.

Something, presumably, he has much experience dealing with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Putting Act together (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL