The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 10000 decimals of Pi (46 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Check out Vincent Hedan's new release! A great memory effect.
More info on his website...
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Received yesterday! Excellent value, easy to do, and very impressive for any layman.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
Do you have to use that PI book in the video or can you really recall PI straight up. I mean, why not just give someone a piece of paper with the first few hundred decimals of PI on it and just recite the whole thing? That would be impressive.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Yes you have to have the little book, and that's what makes it impressive, because it has a lot of pages, and you can instantly recall decimals of Pi wherever you want, not only at the beginning.
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
I have to ask then, is this the real value of PI in the book? If it is then that would be awesome.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 09:35, sevenup wrote:
I have to ask then, is this the real value of PI in the book? If it is then that would be awesome.

Yeah good question ... I'd find it absolutely impressive if he could just do just like the first two pages IF it is really PI ... like in 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620
899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812 ... .

Some of my friends DO know Pi +/- for 20 numbers ... so I would expect at least the first 30 - 40 numbers would have to be correct. After that it wouldn't matter that much I think.

Now THAT would be absolutely awesome and I'd buy it immediately.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
The first decimals (about 50) are the real numbers of Pi. That's all I can say without revealing too much.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
I think its a problem if its not the real digits of pi. Anyone with a smartphone can find the first 1000 digits in two clicks. But I hang around scientists......
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 11:32, doriancaudal wrote:
The first decimals (about 50) are the real numbers of Pi. That's all I can say without revealing too much.

So if I understand currectly the 50 first digits are PI and he found an easy way to remember them? If so that alone is quite impressive ... .
Kobra
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Kobra
I am really interested in this, it does however stress you need knowledge of a non-periodical stack - which I have none. Which version would you recommend for me to invest time learning?
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
It doesn't really matter as it only takes a few days to memorize a stack. So just pick one. I use the mnemonica stack just because of the ease of going back to new deck order but it still requires an expertise in farrow shuffles which to me is harder than learning a stack. You can have a stack memorized in the time it takes to order this item and receive it in the mail.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This should certainly dispel the notion that magicians are nerds, once and for all. Smile

"There are only 10 types of people - those who understand binary code, and those who do not."
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 07:23, doriancaudal wrote:
Received yesterday! Excellent value, easy to do, and very impressive for any layman.

Cool, if it's easy to do it's perfect for you.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In case you want them - here they are:
http://www.piday.org/million.php

likely easilly accessible by iPhone/smartphone uses too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 12:03, parmenion wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 07:23, doriancaudal wrote:

Cool, if it's easy to do it's perfect for you.

It shouldn't be perfect for you though, because this one is difficult to plagiarize.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
My Kid 10 was in a pi contest. He did 161 digits. He said he memorized them in chunks.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 16:44, johncesta wrote:
My Kid 10 was in a pi contest. He did 161 digits. He said he memorized them in chunks.

With this effect, you can memorize 10,000 digits Smile
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest in my effect. I'm not often on the Café so I discover this thread only now. Since a few questions have been raised, I'll try to answer them.

Quote:
On Mar 31, 2012, sevenup wrote:
Do you have to use that PI book in the video or can you really recall PI straight up. I mean, why not just give someone a piece of paper with the first few hundred decimals of PI on it and just recite the whole thing?

Books listing decimals of Pi already exist for the enjoyment of the math-loving community; I just made one making my effect possible.
If you print the digits on a paper and recite them, there is no build up and no progression in the demonstration. Plus, you can't do the "beginning of page" effect at the start of the effect if you're using a simple printed page. Also, my Pi book is pocket-sized so you can transport it everywhere easily, like my previous Haiku book test.

Quote:
On Mar 31, 2012, Killertweety wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 09:35, sevenup wrote:

Yeah good question ... I'd find it absolutely impressive if he could just do just like the first two pages IF it is really PI ... like in 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620
899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812 ... .
Some of my friends DO know Pi +/- for 20 numbers ... so I would expect at least the first 30 - 40 numbers would have to be correct. After that it wouldn't matter that much I think.
Now THAT would be absolutely awesome and I'd buy it immediately.

seven-up, the simple answer to your question is: no, it's not really Pi in my book. Here is the real question though: can the audience tell? Absolutely not Smile

Killertweety, the first page is really Pi, then my "system" takes over. I too have friends who know more than the usual 2 decimals and I've performed the effect for people who know a lot of decimals (Arthur Benjamin, for example). The first page is a long enough convincer, so don't worry.

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2012, Loz wrote:
I think its a problem if its not the real digits of pi. Anyone with a smartphone can find the first 1000 digits in two clicks. But I hang around scientists......

I beg to differ, and I'll explain why.
The first phase is you being able to recall the first digits of any page in the book. This phase cannot be debunked or denied by verifying Pi on the internet, since the layout of the book is, by definition, specific to the book.

The second phase is you being able to recite Pi from a position chosen by the spectator who gives you 5 consecutive digits. Let's imagine some crazy person in the audience pulls out his smartphone, gets on the internet, finds a website listing at least 10 000 decimals of Pi, does a string-search corresponding to the 5 consecutive digits. . . I hope you see that he would simply not have the time to do this before you have recited at least 10 decimals. He cannot catch up with you so he can't double check.

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2012, Killertweety wrote:
So if I understand currectly the 50 first digits are PI and he found an easy way to remember them? If so that alone is quite impressive ... .

I'm an illusionist, my job is only to pretend, not to do the real thing Smile I found a way to create the very convincing illusion of me having memorized Pi.

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2012, Kobra wrote:
I am really interested in this, it does however stress you need knowledge of a non-periodical stack - which I have none. Which version would you recommend for me to invest time learning?

The Mnemonica stack by Juan Tamariz is great. On my website, you'll find a list of some the famous stacks that are compatible with my effect.

Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
A new full presentation of the routine can be seen in my recent Penguin Live lecture, followed by some explanations.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Hmm, not hugely excited until I listened to the speil that goes with the trick and it opens up a world of possibilities.

Strikes me that, if you attributed numerical values to cards you could potentially have a phase where the spec picks a card (forced) and then you reveal their card through the book.

This whole thing about pi holding every bit of information about everything ever, opens up a world of fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 10000 decimals of Pi (46 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL