The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10000 decimals of Pi (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I love this effect and am I big fan of Vincent in general (Babel is one of my favorite book effects).

I have the original 10,000 digits in an Aronson stack. I know the stack pretty well, but found that for the second effect, where the participant gives you a string of numbers, I struggled because there are actually two lines of thinking you might have to use - one for even pages and one for odd (the +1) side. Hopefully, none of this makes sense unless you already have the effect, but my point is that I actually think the stackless version is going to be easier because you don't have to mess with the +1 factor for odd page numbers.

Also, love that the new book is larger in size and looks like it will handle participant wear and tear a bit better.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3435 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Personally I find the stackless version harder because you still have the odd and even but now you have words that you have to convert into numbers on the fly. If I'm going to convert words into numbers I find it far quicker and easier using the phonetic system. I could learn the full sequence of numbers faster than I could learn the words used in the stackless version and I can convert back from that system at high speed as opposed to the way this works. I've never been good at this kind of conversion I have another effect that uses similar methodology and it takes me a long time to do the conversion. Being dyslexic is not good for the stackless version, numbers on the other hand I have no trouble with. The recollector I could do forward/backwards and inside out within minutes (ok that's a far easier system). Likewise I learned Atlas and Ravens solution in one read through.

I love Vincent's thinking and have also purchased Babel but I think my dyslexia is going to keep the stackless version out of my reach. However the stack version is well worth the effort required to learn and become proficient in a stack. Until now I have not needed to be able to recall a stack at speed. This gives me the motivation.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2607 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Super SUPER Clever!! Bravo!
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I know all the digits of Pi already. Just not in the right order.
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
The stackless version needs some serious mental gymnastics to perform the second effect anywhere near the speed that it is performed on the demo.

The mnemonics used in the stackless version are exactly that: mnemonics. You can use them as they are, and you can also use them as helping hand for your first days/weeks of performing the effect, after which you may find out that you just know the numbers, without the mnemonics. It's a bit like the Osterlind stack or the Joyal stack: some users know the system and navigate the stack thanks to the system, and some other users stopped using the system after a while because the stack itself was memorized with the help of the system.

Quote:
I don't know either of my stacks well enough to get even 10% of that speed.

Well, I've known my stack inside out for 12 years now, and I've been performing Pi for 5 years, so you can expect to be quicker with time and rehearsal Smile

Quote:
If I'm going to convert words into numbers I find it far quicker and easier using the phonetic system.

If you want and you find it easier, you could actually come up with your own phonetic words based on your Pi book.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2294 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think this is a cool idea. I ordered
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3435 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
My copy of this arrived today, really well produced book, I may actually buy the genuine book from ebay too. This is more than worth the effort involved, even with my dyslexia I'm getting there with the stackless version. I can complete the sequence albeit not at high speed currently. A week or two more of solid practice and I should have this down to a decent speed. If you aren't dyslexic like me this should be easier to get under your belt although it is still going to take some effort, but the payoff is more than worth the effort. Unfortunately this has made the recollector redundant and I can't sell the recollector on.

Mark
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Mark,

I just bought this about a week ago (Stackless version). Something that I've found that helped was to create flash cards to practice.

I first wrote each letter of the system on an index card, then turned it over and wrote the respective number that represents that letter in the system. We obviously all know our ABC's, but being able to recall each letters numerical position takes a little practice. The flash cards help.

I then did the same for the months of the year for the birthday reveal. Again, I obviously knew my months of the year in order, but writing flash cards and mixing them up randomly allowed me to know that June is the 6th month, rather than just knowing that it comes after May.

I think the key to this (if you're really serious about performing it) is to practice it every single day. It just has to become second nature to the point that you really don't even have to consciously think about it. I think the payoff is well worth it. This is one of the most believable demonstrations of pseudo memory I've ever seen, and I think I've seen just about all of them. It's got all the components that I believe make a good, solid routine. It has multiple phases, impossible to backtrack, can be handled and examined...the list goes on. Vincent has created an amazing piece of work here. He definitely deserves a tip of the hat.

In today's magic and mentalism, so much BS is being "created" every day by people who never perform. It's clear that Vincent is a performer. It's nice to know that there are still people out there like Vincent who are willing to work hard at creating something they have a vision for, and working at it till they achieve it, rather than popping out a freaking Ebook of junk that offers nothing knew and is taking steps backwards in mentalism.

Mark, you mentioned Docc's Recollector and it becoming obsolete once discovering this. I actually believe (in the right circumstances) that these two things can compliment each other. You could perform Recollector to show how you are capable of memorizing random strings of digits called out by the audience, and then show them how you have used those skills to memorize 10,000 digits of Pi. On the contrary, you could do the opposite as well. Demonstrate the memory of Pi, then perform Recollector, memorizing the audiences' numbers they call out. This can seem more impressive because you are memorizing the numbers in the moment (as opposed to memorizing Pi at your own pace over the course of however long).

In short, this is truly a reputation maker. I know that's a cliche these days, but it fits the bill here. If you're thinking about performing this, be prepared to put in some work, and then be prepared to be talked about by everyone for a long time to come.

All the best,
Matthew
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3435 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Thanks for the tip Matthew however flash cards won't help, memorisation isn't the problem I have all of the words solidly locked in. The problem is that due to my dyslexia I will even spell the word "and" wrong if I do it at speed and flash cards won't help. To give you an idea I usually have to edit a short post on here twice after posting and a long post can take up to 5 edits to get all of the spelling mistakes out.

You are absolutely correct that this is something that needs to be practised properly to get it locked in. This is a solid routine that is well worth every single bit of effort required to do it justice. As far as the recollector is concerned there is no room for it in my show as I already do 2 memory demonstrations, one pre-memorised (pi) and one on a time limit (Bob Cassidy's master card memory). The time limit hides my lottery prediction wit the reveal of the lottery ticket being in response to a question in my Q&A.

You might say that memorising 52 cards is a lesser demonstration that memorising 10000 decimals of pi, but anyone can memorise 10,000 decimals of pi if they have enough time .... and no friends. Its far more difficult to memorise something quickly, for example the world record for memorising a deck of cards is a minute dead. I'm going to attempt to break that record ... sir, how long do you think it will take me, bearing in mind I intend to break the record? Oooh now we are limited to 1-59 without screaming lottery prediction.

Mark
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Very clever, very clever method indeed.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Vincent is a genius. This will fly by 99.99% of specs. So clever. As has been said, a little work to memorize what needs to be memorized (I have stackless version). But then you are off to the races. I am quite pleased and would recommend this -- highly.

Preston
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3435 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I've now got this locked in and have performed this and it absolutely kills. The book will stand up to pretty close scrutiny but I still went ahead and ordered the genuine article from Anazon. Great thing is I can fit both into my inside jacket pocket together so in the unlikely event that anyone wants a closer look (because they are a pi geek) I'm completely bullet proof. The other great thing is that if you struggle a bit to recall or translate any of the digits it's not a problem because that is perfectly consistent with trying to pull something difficult from memory. Struggling a bit adds credibility.

This is underpriced for the strength of the effect and the amount of work that went in. One thing that might be an idea is to offer a package version with the genuine book to save ordering it separately off Amazon.

Mark
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1694 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I've now got this locked in and have performed this and it absolutely kills. The book will stand up to pretty close scrutiny but I still went ahead and ordered the genuine article from Anazon. Great thing is I can fit both into my inside jacket pocket together so in the unlikely event that anyone wants a closer look (because they are a pi geek) I'm completely bullet proof. The other great thing is that if you struggle a bit to recall or translate any of the digits it's not a problem because that is perfectly consistent with trying to pull something difficult from memory. Struggling a bit adds credibility.

This is underpriced for the strength of the effect and the amount of work that went in. One thing that might be an idea is to offer a package version with the genuine book to save ordering it separately off Amazon.

Mark

Well stated Mark.
(Side note: Train Tracking made me dyslex lol)
I just ordered this as well.
I knew from Vincent's other releases that this would require some effort.
Just challenging enough to give you a satisfied smirk,
when you start to put it all together.

Exactly what I was in the mood for.

Thanks Vincent.
Fantastic creation, much appreciated Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
TazBo
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of TazBo
Ordered Mnemonica version yesterday. Smile
Fligmupple
View Profile
New user
This account will expire in
82 Posts

Profile of Fligmupple
What a great, unique trick!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3435 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
If you really want to show off you can do phase 2 backwards instead of forwards, or give them a choice.

Mark
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
If you really want to show off you can do phase 2 backwards instead of forwards, or give them a choice.

Yes, that was part of the very first version and I will describe it briefly in an upcoming video that will also reveal additional ideas and bonus contained in Pi Smile
TazBo
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of TazBo
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

Yes, that was part of the very first version and I will describe it briefly in an upcoming video that will also reveal additional ideas and bonus contained in Pi Smile

Hi Vincent,
Will the previous purchasers of Pi receive a free copy of this upcoming video? Smile
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, TazBo wrote:
Will the previous purchasers of Pi receive a free copy of this upcoming video? Smile

Yes, actually the video will be public since it contains general tips as well, and only Pi users will be able to understand/implement the bonuses Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3535 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This really looks good. I appreciate some of the input, particularly the idea that it may be better to get a stack version.

I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick? Would it be The Osterlind stack?

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10000 decimals of Pi (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL