The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10000 decimals of Pi (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I have had a lot of fun with this, but the other day I had a slight hiccup. I did not take the book back after doing phase 2. Of course I got the numbers right, but then the woman started skimming through the book and stumbled on the same order on a different page. This was definitely an audience management issue. Lesson learned.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3531 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I always get the book back immediately and then I switch it out for the genuine book and leave that on my table just in case anyone wants a closer look after the show.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3531 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
This really looks good. I appreciate some of the input, particularly the idea that it may be better to get a stack version.

I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick? Would it be The Osterlind stack?

KJ

If you don't already know a stack I would go with the stackless. BCS is pretty easy to learn but I suspect phase 2 would be much harder with a stack unless you know your stack intimately. The stackless version takes some effort but far less effort than learning a stack.

Mark
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick?

If you don't know a stack already, I'd recommend going for the stackless version, you'll be up and running quickly. If you know a stack, it'll also be fast and easy, but because you'll already know your stack inside out.

Aside from Pi, I strongly encourage you to dive into stack magic, it will greatly improve your card work, if that's something you're interested in. Choosing the right stack for you can be challenging, so I outlined some tips here:
http://www.vincenthedan.com/magic/blog-stackchoice.html
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3542 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mark and Vincent,

Thanks for your input. I have worked a bit with stacks in the past. I do a variety of magic, including card magic, but not exclusively card magic. I have developed some card effects that work for me, some with regular shuffled cards and others with some gimmicks. They are designed around the entertainment value more so than the technical aspects.

Several years ago I developed a stack that I used in combination with some really good routines with a certain theme. The theme worked really well with audiences and they loved it. It took me over a year just to develop the stack. I used it for a while, but didn't keep up the effort to stay on top of it.

I have some exposure to most of the stacks available for this effect, and if memory serves me, it seemed to me that Osterlinds was the easiest.

I guess I need to decide if I really want to put in the effort and continuous work on a stack. I'll take a look at the link you provided.

Thanks.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3542 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Vincent,

Hi. I just read your link on choosing a stack. That was very good! Thank you.

I now see the wisdom in avoiding stacks that are calculus or mnemonic stacks, which would rule out the Osterlind stack.

I already have a ton of effects and routines that I developed for my own themed stack, not only routines related to the theme, but the various routines associated with a good stack, like poker and blackjack demonstrations, spelling, etc.

Since you don't have a book for my stack, I think that puts me back to your original suggestion of the stackless version.

Unless... you might consider my stack. The theme is really awesome!

KJ
Vincent Hedan
View Profile
New user
France
46 Posts

Profile of Vincent Hedan
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Unless... you might consider my stack.

I could indeed do a Pi book "coded" for your sequence (I've done a few custom ones), after testing it to see if it'd work. If you want to go this way, you can email me your stack order and I'll test it.
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
Derby
192 Posts

Profile of IanB
Received mine from Vincent a few days ago and I am really pleased with it.

As a long time user of the Aronson Stack it took me about 1 hour to be really comfortable with the methodology.

I've not tried it for "real people" yet but I can see it being very strong. The 3 phases build well and I think the final phase is incredibly strong.

If you're prepared to put the mental effort in you will be well rewarded.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3542 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Unless... you might consider my stack.

I could indeed do a Pi book "coded" for your sequence (I've done a few custom ones), after testing it to see if it'd work. If you want to go this way, you can email me your stack order and I'll test it.

I'll get you my stack in a few days. Thanks.

KJ
Magic_Niels
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Magic_Niels
To bad if it's not the real Pi sequence. I remembered the first hundred digits of Pi in under an hour. It's so aesy and still get amazing reactions.

Just used the journey method with my own house as a familiar location.
Easy as pi Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7902 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, Magic_Niels wrote:
To bad if it's not the real Pi sequence. I remembered the first hundred digits of Pi in under an hour. It's so aesy and still get amazing reactions.

Easy as pi Smile

Good for you show off. Shame your spelling isn't as good as your memory.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1822 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Easy as pi Smile

Good for you show off. Shame your spelling isn't as good as your memory.

Lmao and ditto lol
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1822 Posts

Profile of 252life
Im also leaning towards calling bs on that claim, just sayin Smile

-Theodore Annemann
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
It's a perfectly reasonable claim.

There's a youtube vid that claims to show you how to memorize the first 100 in under four minutes, that one I'm not sure about.

But look how little time it takes Harry Lorayne to memorize the first & last names of an entire theater full of people.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1822 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:

There's a youtube vid that claims to show you how to memorize the first 100 in under four minutes, that one I'm not sure about.

But look how little time it takes Harry Lorayne to memorize the first & last names of an entire theater full of people.

True, but Harry Lorayne is setting the bar pretty high though sheesh lol

-Theodore Annemann
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:

True, but Harry Lorayne is setting the bar pretty high though sheesh lol

Oh for sure. But if Harry can do that in - what, 20 minutes? - somebody who knows what they're doing should certainly be able to memorize 100 numbers (in reality, probably 25 numbers ("fourteen fifteen, ninety-two sixty-five", etc. etc.)) in an hour or so.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3542 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:

Easy as pi Smile

Niels,

Don't mind the jealous ones. How did you remember them? Did you use some method to make it easier, or was it just wrote memory?

I ask because he can create a custom book. Perhaps the first page could be the real PI and the rest could be the "method". that would make the routine even more powerful. You could have someone pull up PI on their calculator to verify the first several numbers and then go forward with the routine.

KJ
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3531 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
KJ that's completely unnecessary and doesn't make the effect stronger it just falls into the category of over proving. The first page is already the real decimals of pi and the rest of the book is bullet proof as long as you don't leave it in their hands after the effect. You can also pick up a copy of the genuine book if you want to leave it lying around after the show.

As far as really memorising 100 or so digits, using the phonetic system you should be able to get 100 digits under your belt within 20 minutes. I'm sure Harry Lorraine would do it in 5.

Mark
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1822 Posts

Profile of 252life
I don't think it was jealosy.
More along the lines of commenting on, what read as,
an overly boastful claim stated on the back of an attempt at diminishing the effect.
Apparently based on anecdotal theroys read here.

On second thought, you are correct.
I reconsidered the whole issue.
I'm torn with jealosy,
Please forgive as this guilt is eating me up lol

(All in fun folks. Honestly)

Back to Pi though..
I have the stackless, and really love it.
It's fun to learn as well imo.

-Theodore Annemann
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Pi patter -

Current Guinness world record holder is Suresh Kumar Sharma, who has memorized the first 70,030 digits.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » 10000 decimals of Pi (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL