The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
This definitely looks work a look:

Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette

First TIME in MAGIC history!
No professional builder has ever shared his SECRET techniques...
UNTIL NOW!

This 6 DVD set is a complete course in Illusion Building. Everything is explained in detail from expert Illusion builder Gerry Frenette!

ALL of the information you need to know in order to build your own Illusions and box effects!

# How to do everything from driving a screw to advanced building techniques in mechanics and engineering
# How to get a great paint finish without spray equipment
# How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)
# Complete video instructions building 3 illusion projects
# Dozens of tips, ideas and techniques using proven, stage-tested measurements
# What materials and tools to use
# How to make your illusion as deceptive as possible
# Everything you need to make SMALL stage props as well
5 DVD's packed full of information, plus a 6th BONUS data disc containing drawings, blueprints, documents, and photos!

What will YOU create?

"All of the stuff you NEED to know if you want to make an illusion that looks great. Highly recommended."
- Paul Daniels, England

"Gerry Frenette's course is, without question, the best buy ever offered to magicians who are both performers and prop builders."
- Dick Gustafson, USA

"Whether you are a magic hobbyist, amateur, semi pro or professional entertainer, this mammoth video course is a MUST HAVE for your library."
- Hans Zahn, Canada

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14113

Hocus-Pocus has this as a discountable item.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I Just was looking at the Contents:

Here is a directory of what you will find on this course:

Disc One Starting Off Total Time: 2 hrs 37 min.

1. Introduction and Overview 15:58
2. Tools (Basic Hand Tools) 30:08
3. Fasteners and Hardware 45:02
4. Materials 52:20
5. Quick and East Set-up 13:14

Disc Two Building Techniques Total Time: 2 hrs 34 min.

1. Power Tools 25:16
2. Metal Work 10:14
3. Fabrics 11:09
4. Mirrors 11:22
5. Tips, Ideas and Advice 28:15
6. Roller Blinds 23:01
7. Glues 10:06
8. Trap Doors 28:09
9. Casters 5:38

Disc Three Advanced Building Techniques Total Time: 2 hrs 38 min.

1. Electronics 35:54
2. Mechanics 1:10:10
3. Mechanical Tips And Ideas 20:17
4. Painting 32:20

Disc Four Making Your Illusions Better Total Time: 2 hrs 26 min.

1. Design Techniques and Ideas 27:44
2. Deceptive Design (part one) 40:56
3. Deceptive Design (part two) 43:45
4. Deceptive Design Encore 6:50
5. Theory On Classic Illusions 26:59

Disc Five BUILDING ILLUSIONS Total Time: 2 hrs 46 min.

1. Watch 3 actual illusions being built by Gerry Frenette.
2. Then discussion about 12 illusion ideas you can build.
3. Closing Comments

Disc Six

Data disc containing all pictures, sketches, drawings, documents and blueprints that you can print out as needed.
---------------------

Anybody know What 3 Illusions are being built by Gerry Frenette on Disk 5?
Dennis Michael
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)

I have to question this statement, as the tools will take up a room alone. Very misleading statement!

And illusions by definition are not small. True, that guy who built the illusion in the laundry room did a good job, but his wife was probably yelling at him the whole time. Smile
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 14:40, wmhegbli wrote:
How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)

I have to question this statement, as the tools will take up a room alone. Very misleading statement!

And illusions by definition are not small. True, that guy who built the illusion in the laundry room did a good job, but his wife was probably yelling at him the whole time. Smile

It can be done I built my MA illusion in a small space
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......st-1.jpg
Christophe Rossi
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Christophe Rossi
Illusionman2, good job ...Look great...
chrom
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of chrom
Wow that is really cool illusionman2....how small a space are we talking?
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-03-18 12:30 , Chrom wrote:
Wow that is really cool illusionman2....how small a space are we talking?

I THINK Wmhegbli was talking about me as I built it in a small laundry room.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
That's a great MA, Illusionman2. The view under your table is amazingly clean - much more so than the original version. Very deceptive. Did you design it yourself?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-03-20 21:52, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
That's a great MA, Illusionman2. The view under your table is amazingly clean - much more so than the original version. Very deceptive. Did you design it yourself?

Richard Rau built a few of these thin table MA, befor he passed away.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......aaaa.jpg

mine has different dimentions and features.
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Hi folks,

Just to answer a couple questions: When we say "in a small space", we don't mean a laundry room! We didn't succeed in this business for 27 years by deceiving people in our ads, or otherwise. It just means you don't have to have a large, well equiped workshop. The illusions that you actually see me build on disc 5 are a Flash Production Cage, a Crystal Casket, and a Double Tip Trunk. But it doesn't really matter so much which ones I am building. They were selected out of many that I was building, simply because they showed a diverse set of building techniques. The course is not about teaching you how to build individual illusions, it is about teaching you how to build ANY illusion, and do it well. I am VERY busy these days, and won't have time to answer too many questions, but much more info and reviews can be found on our site at http://www.magicmakersillusions.com

Thanks for your interest,

Gerry Frenette
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you Gerry, for popping in here with that information! The course looks great!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
This looks great. It reminds me of the Rand Woodbury tape/CD series I purchased from magicauction a few years ago, with perhaps more details, which for me will be a big advantage. While I found Woodbury's books and tapes very interesting, I hope this series will be a bit more practical for someone like myself, with limited building skills and limited space for transporting the finished illusions. Has anyone seen independent reviews yet? If not, I will probably just take a chance and get them because there is not a whole lot of this type of material available in video format that I am aware of, and for $150 it seems to be a great value based upon the length of footage, topics covered, and source of production.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Ok, I couldn't wait. I just ordered the video course. One bit of a surprise I discovered when ordering, was that there was a $25 shipping and handling charge (which I think is excessive) and somewhere an additional $4.72 (perhaps because I paid via paypal and Magic Makers passed on the cost) bringing my purchase cost to $179.72. I am very much looking forward to receiving the program and have no doubt I will get more than my money's worth. I am very glad a product like this is now available.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2012-03-22 20:55, charliecheckers wrote:
Ok, I couldn't wait. I just ordered the video course. One bit of a surprise I discovered when ordering, was that there was a $25 shipping and handling charge (which I think is excessive) and somewhere an additional $4.72 (perhaps because I paid via paypal and Magic Makers passed on the cost) bringing my purchase cost to $179.72. I am very much looking forward to receiving the program and have no doubt I will get more than my money's worth. I am very glad a product like this is now available.

OK buy from Penguin Magic --I got mine for something like $120.00 postage paid. If your are looking for secrets do not buy ,But if you are looking for building tips there is a lot here ( a lot I do and a lot I don't) . The one thing that shocked me the most was he said he does not use the safty guard on the table saw (I don't when I can't but I do the rest of the time).
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:

OK buy from Penguin Magic --I got mine for something like $120.00 postage paid.

Wow - I guess I should have shopped around. Like they say, " haste makes waste"
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Hi guys. It was not supposed to be sold at a discount by any dealers, and this has now been changed. You got lucky, but this is a great value for the $150. We don't pass on the cost of PayPal, they take it from us, so I don't know what that $4.72 is for. The shipping (and handling) charge should be $20 for the U.S. and $25 for everywhere else, except Canada ($15). I just found out that the button is not working properly, sorry about that! I'm sure you will feel you got your moneys worth. I'll get that fixed. As I said on the course, I don't recommend that you leave off the safety guard, I'm just pointing out that I haven't used it for 25 years! By the way, there is MUCH more info then Rand Woodbury's tapes.
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Ok, the buy button is fixed now. Guess we owe you $5 Charlie! If anybody else gets charged the $4.72, please let me know. I would like to find out what it is. But again, I think this is a great value. Thanks for your interest folks.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Gerry, Thank you for get back here to provide clarity and rectify the issue with the shipping costs as well as the cost of the program itself. I also want to share that I went into my Paypal account just now and discovered that I WAS NOT CHARGED the additional $4.72 that appeared on my Paypal purchase page as I made the purchase. It must have been a glitch that fixed itself (or it was late and I was seeing things, but that would be a very odd number to make up in my mind). Anyway, I too do not want to let the periferal purchase discussions get away from the value you are offering with this course, as I can hardly wait for my package to arrive so I can enjoy this rare opportunity to learn from the best.
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I received mine from hocus pocus this week. I own All of Randwoodbury's tapes, books, most of JC Sum, Osbournes, and Steinmeyer's as well. The details shared here are very unique and I think it is a great resource for anyone who is actually doing the work of building their own illusions. There are little tricks and tips that you would only discover by building year after year and I am grateful to Mr. Frenette for sharing his insight. There are great resources out there for the design and technique of what makes an illusion deceptive and I find that this DVD set provides tips on the building side that I have not seen elsewhere.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I just watched dis 5.
Frenette uses a lot of chrome trim (alot) . My props look a lot like his befor trim pic.
not sure which is best. looking CLOSEUP he looks ALOT MORE PROFESIONAL but from a stage point of view not sure (just my opionion).
I did want to say I was happy I got the deal on the price but, I woud have paid at leat $200.00 for all this info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL