We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
756 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I picked mine up on the cheap from the earlier deal so I guess I got lucky. I watched a couple disks so far and skimmed some of the others. This is fantastic and I am very happy with the purchase. I have all of Osbourne's books and I can say that these offer far more information. If you are just looking for plans or secrets it may not be for you but if you want to build quality illusions, this is for you. However, he does teach you step by step how to build a few very good looking illusions. His Crystal Casket is VERY deceptive and about as good as it gets for that illusion. It really looks good! Anyway, I highly recommend this set and wish there were more time in the day so I watch them all now.
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
My experience…

First let me start by saying I do not usually post something like this as I am a very laid back patient kind of guy however, I am very disappointed in the service I received from Magic Makers regarding the pre-sale purchase of their dvd.

On February 2 I was browsing the Café forums as I do every day. I saw a post about Magic Makers building Illusions DVD. I immediately went to their site and preordered it on the spot.

A little back ground on me:

I have been addicted to magic since I saw my first magic show at the age of 10. As a teenager I preformed mainly birthday parties and small stage shows. As most young Magicians I was limited to what I could purchase…I was not poor by any means, but I could not afford all of the illusions and tricks I would like or needed but I made by with what I had. My step father was a contractor so I was able to build a few tricks here and there but he was never around enough to really accomplish anything worth talking about. I was fascinated with the Idea of being able to build my own Illusions. Life happened…... In college I still preformed magic but it was limited to mainly late night parties impressing the ladies and a few birthday parties for children here and there. I graduated college in Construction Management and started my own construction company 3 years later in 2004. Its been a tough road for a residential builder but I am grateful for what I have and what I persevered through. I am finally in a position do all the things I loved as a kid but never was able to afford to do. I am in the process of getting my pilots license for helicopter and fixed wing aircraft, and of course expanding my always growing knowledge of magic. I started buying books , dvd's, and effects I have always wanted.

I see it as a good thing growing up the way I did….because instead of going out an buying every new trick that came out I was only able to read about them, study them and most of the time come to the realization that it not a strong effect or its really not for me. There were a few exceptions here and there but for the most part I think I was better off without the money because I would have spent in on items without doing the proper research. With a construction background and vast knowlege in the workshop I am very interested in illusion theroy and the construction of big illusions.

Now that you know a little bit about my background lets get to why I am writing this novel. So I pre-ordered this DVD on February 2, 2012. I was told that it would be available at the end of February. As you all are aware of it was not done. No big deal…Stuff happens. I sent another short e-mail (no I really mean short) asking of a time frame. I was then told by Gerry that there release date was moved to mid march. Hey no big deal again. I was looking forward to all the knowledge that Gerry was gracious enough to share with us.

So on March 17, I sent another short e-mail asking about how the release of the DVD was coming. He replied that they were ready and he would have them on Tuesday. He also stated that they would ship out immediately and I could possibly have it by Friday the 23.

Once again no big deal….My problems started when I started seeing post of people talking about receiving their DVD they ordered from Penguin magic or from other magic suppliers. I blew the first couple off but when more and more people started talking about it I got a little aggravated.

Long story short (Little too late),
I emailed Gerry explaining that I was a little upset about the fact that I invested in his project so long ago and I thought that we you pre-ordered something you would be able to receive it prior to the general public. There were people going to various vendors not only ordering it but receiving it before I did. I could have went to penguin magic on March 18 ordered and received the dvd's 3 days later for $120.00 not the $170.00 I paid on his site back in February. I realize the price difference was a mistake…..I do not really care about the $50.00 difference….

He stated that "he was sorry for the delay and claimed that he sent it out as soon as he got the dvd's in". I have still yet to receive my DVD's . I actually called him today asking for a tracking number and all he replied that "he has had other people who are closer to Canada then I am receive theirs". "So mine should be on the way". He says "don't worry about it".

Well, I know if I treated my clients like that I would not have clients too much longer. All I want is what I paid for. In my opinion I believe that if you PRE-ORDER something that you should have some kind of concession weather it is a discounted price or, in my case, get the product prior to the people who did not invest into something 2 months prior.

Most people in that situation would try to make it right in some way……I got nothing. All it would have took was some sincerity on his part. That he was truly trying to make it right.

I have to say that every time I e-mailed him I got a response right away....And he answered his phone too.....I just feel that he should have treated the people that invested in his DVD's that far in advance differently.

Any Thoughts???

Thanks,

Ryan
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
756 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
Ryan,
I hate it when that happens and it happens way too often in this industry. The problem is our industry accepts it. Just go to the spooky section and you will see it all the time there. People order things and wait a year or more and keep getting the same promise... It is on the way or it has been shipped. We easily accept excuses about delays or poor customer service because of this that or the other, things are hand made, it took longer than expected, the person is a good builder or has a good reputation so it is OK, etc. If this happened in any other industry, that person who provided the poor customer service would not be in business. So, why do we accept this? I have been on the receiving end of things like this on more times than I can count so I feel for you.

I was lucky I guess, I saw it on this site and clicked the $120 link and ordered it when I saw it. I had it in just a couple days.
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Thanks for the reply,

IMO why offer a "pre-order" if it does not mean anything. I should have been told at the time I placed the order that the fact that I pre-ordered does not guarantee I have reserved a DVD prior to the general public. I could have held on the my money and also got the DVD's faster and cheaper from a third party. At the time I ordered from Gerry, I did not see it offered on any other site.

The only explanation he offered is that he did not receive the DVD's till Wednesday. According to different post other people who ordered from other sources and received the DVD's Thursday and Friday. So something does not jive with his story. How can other third party suppliers receive and ship the product prior to the creator. ,

He also said he did not claim the the pre-order gave any type of concessions (cheaper price, faster delivery, reserved copy, etc) Why the freak would anyone pre-order?????

I think I could have received my order sooner......I think he was too worried about getting the large orders to the major distributions rather then getting to one guy who paid months in advance. Either way it was not handled correctly. Furthermore, after my e-mails and call he should have showed some type of regret or some type of compassion to make it right. In my business I have given several concessions to customers even if I knew I was not at fault. Once again I am not saying I want anything but the offer would have been nice seeing that if Penguin Magic can sell the DVD's for $120.00 and still make a profit why wouldn't the creator be compelled to say " I see how you feel, How bout I honor the $120.00 price seeing you did invest into my product prior to the release". A little bit goes a long way. For the most part Customer service is a thing of the past........

Ryan
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
The answer to this is easy. The DVD's were produced in California. Murphy's magic is in California. They got them much faster than we did, due to 2 delays from customs to get them over the border to us. I have no control over this, nor do I have control over what dealers charge for it, when Murphy's was supposed to tell them all to keep the price at $150. They are human too, and forgot that I told them this. Other dealers can reduce their profit on an item, they didn't produce it, or put 9 months of hard work and effort into it. At least one dealer has been over-charging for it. This kind of stuff doesn't only happen in the magic industry, it happens everywhere. The only advantage to pre-ordering is that they were set to go out the same day we received them. Ryan, please don't accuse me of stretching the truth by saying I was more worried about getting them to the big suppliers first. The producer of the DVD's sent them to Murphy's for us, and sent them to us at the same time, but as I said, there was delays. Any other dealers who have them, got them from Murphy's, or maybe had Murphy's ship them directly to the customers. We have not sent ANY to anybody, except those who bought it directly from us and they were sent out the same day we got them, as I told you. You are not the only person this happened too, but you are the only person who complained to us. This thing is my life's work! It is priced much lower than it should be to discourage piracy, which will probably STILL happen. Could we all just show a little patience and be friends? This is taking away from the focus, which should be the product itself. We have been successful in this business for 27 years by giving great customer support, and a great product, but there is a limit. However, I do see from your point that you would have appreciated an offer for the difference. If it will make you happy, (though you say you don't even want it), I'll offer it to you now.

Gerry
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
I should also mention that when we offered it for pre-sale, we thought people WOULD get it faster from us, because Murphy's would have to send it to other dealers after they got it. Of course it didn't happen that way for some people, but that was the reason we offered it for pre-sale. Also, if we ignored Ryan's emails, or were rude to him, then you could say we gave him bad customer service. It never occured to me to offer him a partial refund, but's that's just a difference of opinion, not bad customer service. In fact, we care a great deal about our customers, and try our best to show it. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be here seeing what people have to say, and answering. I have a lot of illusions on order, and am in the middle of a rush order right now, so I must get back to work.

All thr best,

Gerry
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Gerry,

I do not want your money. Or better yet some of my money back for that matter. It is not my fault that all of this happened. I pre-ordered a product from you with thoughts of getting it as soon as it was available. You state yourself that you thought customers who ordered it from you would get it sooner that is why you offered it as a pre-order. That did not happen.... in a way I paid for something I did not receive. The point is it should not take all of this for you to finally offer concessions due to a misrepresentation on your part. All I have heard from you is how it is everyones elses fault. This rant is not about placing fault it is about how you handeled the situation.

I know one thing it is definitely not my fault.

In stead of placing blame all you had to do was make it right. You did not. All I have heard is how great of a deal the DVD is and how well worth the money. Im not disputing that at all. But I wish I could make that determination for myself. You see I have yet to receive the DVD.

I would like to thank you in advance for doing this for the magic community. Im sure once I finally receive the DVD's I will be satisfied with the product. I just hope by all of this the next time you are faced with a similar situation you handle it differently. You never know who the smaller fish are……Some of them may grow into big fish one day.

Could you please e-mail me the shipping info (what carrier, etc) so I can look into this. I would like to know if I need to order it from Penguin so I can have a copy for the weekend.

Thank you.

Ryan
bgirletz96
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of bgirletz96
Can someone tell me if any of the illsions require any welding or if they are just made of wood and are what are the manchines required to build some of the illsions.

Thanks
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Hello. Welding is not required very often in illusions, it depends on what you want to build. There is no welding needed on any of the illusions I actually build in the course. As far as tools, you can build illusions with basic tools, but you can do it faster and easier if you have more advanced tools. This is all talked about in the course in great detail. They are mostly made of wood, but also aluminum.

Gerry
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Another day and still no DVD.

Thank you for emailing me and telling me that canada post said they think I should have it by Friday but there is no guarantee when I will get it or no way to track it.

Ill give you to tomorrow to receive it.

If not, since your such a respectful business man, I would ask that you refund my money to paypal and I will "return to sender" if the package ever comes. This way I can buy it somewhere else where there is a gaurentee when I will get it.

And if your thinking declining that offer because you may say that's not how you do business.....Keep in mind you have had my money since Feburary 4 and I have yet to receive anything. So trust goes both ways.

Thanks

Ryan
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Thought I would give a review

There is a lot of info here wellworth the price (Around 12 hr. abit like being in school things you should learn but not very entertaining)most of the time he is just talking to the camera. I wish he had shown drop cutting on the tabe saw (as I use this a lot). What is show is the profesional way to do things. I have never built a tip trunk that way I just build a box out of 3/8 inch cut off the top at 3 inches, then on the bottom cut a hole leaving a 2 inch border around the bottom and hinge a bottom back in hinged at the back (yes I said Back).And put the box on a 1 inch base.
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Anyone following my delima......Still no DVD!

Gerry,
In the email you sent dated March 17, 2012 you wrote:

"Hey Ryan,

It is ready. We will have them on Tuesday. Boxes are already stacked and ready to go. One of them has your name on it. They will go out immediately after we get them. You may even have it by Friday, but that depends on the Post Office.

Thanks,

Gerry "

You say I might have it by Friday tells me either you are full of S#$t or you really believed I could get the package by then. If you put it in the mail last Wednesday (Post mark will show on package) it should be here by now. I do not understand why I was charged $10.00 for shipping and you sent it normal post. I purchased several items from Bill Abbott in Canada and never has it taken this long.

I just want what I paid for.....Can you please give me more info as to what is going on.

Ryan
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
I am not "full of s#$t, and yes you'll see it postmarked on that day. UPS told me they would be here Tuesday, they got here Wednesday, and that's when they went out. You can't even ship a box like that for $10 by any method. Anything but regular post would have been much more. I can only tell you what they told me, as far as when it's expected. They don't promise it. I understand you just want it, and I just want you to have it!

Gerry
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I received mine on Friday, ordered direct. Thanks.
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
Hi Guys,

I received my DVD's on Wednesday 28th March direct from Gerry it was sent on the 21st so not at all bad for shipping to the UK. Can I just say that I rarely comment on these forums due to so many magicians leaving negative (bullying) comments. It happens on nearly every post. Gerry is a great guy I have emailed and messaged him on many occassions and found him very pleasant and helpful. Trying to make a professional look bad in a forum is petty. Your concerns are with Gerry not the memebers of this forum.

Back to topic I'm enjoying the DVDs they are very imformative and suitable for anyone who had either built illusions before or is just starting out.

Chris Bowyer
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Thanks Chris, on both counts.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I just viewed the 1st DVD and want to report that it is excellent. For a professional builder of 25 years to share his experience and do so in a way that shows that he never forgot what it is like to start out in building is really striking. Extremely valuable fundamentals of building are shared such as the type of screws that are recommended for most applications, and the exact type of wood to purchase for most applications. I was not aware of these prior to the course. My guess is that most people considering to purchase the course would not. These suggestions alone a worth a fortune in terms of reduced wasted time and money for construction. My plan is to view this DVD again, this time taking notes. I will share additional comments after viewing the entire course, but wanted to share my initial excitement. Gerry should be very proud of this offering.
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
Just got home from my vacation to find my package finally arrived. As Gerry stated it was shipped on Wednesday the 21.

Now I still disagree with the way my pre-order was handled however, after watching the dvd's I must say that I forgive Gerry for that because the information provided is well worth the wait.

I could see from the start that Gerry poured a lifetime of knowledge into 5 dvd's. For start I am fortunate enough to have worked with power tool most of my life, but for a beginner Gerry goes over every tool needed to be able to build your own illusions.

I have most illusion building dvd's, books and plans available. None, I mean none.... have the information Gerry has graciously shared with the magic community. I have always been able to build boxes....now I feel confident I have the knowledge to turn my boxes into Illusions.

If you are interested in building any type of magic prop or illusion then these dvd's are a steal at $150.00. I conservatively put the value of these dvd's in the thousands of dollars. It would take you years to find the knowledge provided.

Gerry,

Thank you so much for sharing. You can see it in your eyes that this is your life's work and that it has taken a great deal of time and effort to put this together.

I hope you understand my earlier frustration. Please accept my apology.

Ryan
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Just wondering if this dvd also shows how to make the illusions collapsible. That has always been my weakness in building illusions. They should be light, sturdy amd quick to assemble.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Thanks Ryan, I did do the best I could to get them to people asap, and I'm glad you like them. Lou, yes there is a section on disc one called "Quick and Easy Set-Up" Everything I do is collapsible, and there are ways to do that without compromising stability, and without taking too long.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL