The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
741 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I have been guilding my magic for years, since I was a kid in junior high I'm now over 50. The subject interests me so I purchased the course. I would say to anyone interested in the subjext it is a MUST have.
The information and tips here are priceless and provided much more information than I had expected.
Kudos to Gerry and I hope he considers another set with more advanced concepts and a few more of the build demonstrations. Great work.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I don't think the building is wrong (what I take issue with is the decoration of the main table (using wall paper and chroming both edges). I would paint all flat back an just put on a one inch strip down the middle of white or chrome.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2012-04-21 15:15, illusionman2 wrote:
I don't think the building is wrong (what I take issue with is the decoration of the main table (using wall paper and chroming both edges). I would paint all flat back an just put on a one inch strip down the middle of white or chrome.

That's my point exactly- if you build the base the way Gerry shows, the main "table" part of the base is clearly outlined in shiny chrome and I just can't see how that is supposed to look thin. You can take the table portion and, by following Rand Woodbury's route (and that of most other builders), you can make it appear substantially thinner. Again, as I stated before, I think these DVDs are a steal. I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone who has never built an illusion.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1957 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Interesting discussion. I wonder if Gerry has found that by providing definition to the table, it disarms the spectator vs no definitive edge being scrutinized more closely. I do not recall if he discussed his motivation or not in the course. I will say that in my opinion his bases look deceptive. I think one would expect an illusion prop to have a bit of a showy design for entertainment purposes, so it is in line with audience expectations.
nathanernest
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of nathanernest
Guys, this is a building course. Not a base course. If you know so much about base design, then go and make your own using the knowledge you can obtain in this series.

If you want to know about bases, look into "The Base Book" by Woodberry http://www.dennymagic.com/products/stage......ry-book/
---------
Nath
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
I said I wouldn't say anything else about bases, but I just can't keep quiet. Charlie is correct in what I am going for. In the audience's mind, a base can easily be 3 or 4 inches thick. This is not unreasonable for something that holds a persons weight. So I make the main table edge that thick, and define it with chrome on each edge of it. You are then showing this part as the actual table. If you make this part thinner, you are only going to need to make other parts thicker above or below it, and they will be hard to justify. You have to look at the overall appearance of the prop to the audience, not just the table edge. I DO talk about this very clearly in the course, and I understand there is a lot to take in on the first watching. Rand has some good stuff, but you will learn how to make deceptive bases in my course too. You don't have to agree with everything I say, and by all means go ahead and think for yourself too, but think carefully. Bottom line is, don't try to hide the edge of the table, display it prominently, and everything else is less noticeable.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Gerry,

Again, please don't take my comments the wrong way, as I am simply giving an honest review of the material I bought. My stance is still that I would wholeheartedly recommend your course to anyone, whether a beginner or experienced builder. There's info here for everyone. Also, you have some creations that I think are amazing. For instance, I first saw your "Crusher" on the demo video years ago and I have to say it's one of the most deceptive illusions I've ever seen. I agree with the testimonial that it truly appears as if there's nowhere for the girl to go. The live performance video on your site looks even better.

But as for bases that truly have to do all the "hidin'"- I agree that a three or four inch "table" section -could- be acceptable, but my point is that there is no reason why that same section needs to look as thick as it really is. You can take a table of that thickness and make it look thinner without adding thickness anywhere else. For example (and I know, this isn't a good example of a base with that function), look at the photos of "Head over Heels" on your own site. This is another prop that I loved the moment I saw it, and still do. But, go to the photos/info page on the prop and there are two types of base decoration here. First, there's the blue-speckled one on the right, and it has shiny trim on both edges of the base. Then, there are all the others pictured, including the one in the demo video. These have only one edge outlined. Same prop, but honestly, which looks thinner? To my eyes, there's absolutely no question. So, take that same idea, apply it to a full-on base, and ???

Again Gerry, you are a pro and there's no denying that! Awesome work!
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Yes, I know what you mean. Here's the difference to me: The base on the Head Over Heels is so thin that you can do it either way, and it still looks fine. Nobody is suspicious of a 2" table edge. But when you have a base that contains an entire person, if you try to make the edge look thinner, you can succeed, but then you will have too much black below the last chrome line, and it will be harder to make that part less obvious. Trust me, I have tried it both ways. Feel free to experiment, that is what makes us sure how we want to do it. If you still disagree, we'll just agree to disagree. Thanks for your nice comments.
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
Oh, and take a look at how incredibly deceptive my Asrah table looks. It wouldn't be that good if I tried to make the edge look thinner.
Happy building everyone!
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I just received my set in the mail. I've only made it through part of one disc, and have to say it's worth every penny. There are a lot of building ideas I had never thought of, or did not know how to accomplish. Thanks Gerry.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Madison, AL
823 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2012-03-16 16:24, illusionman2 wrote:
It can be done I built my MA illusion in a small space
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/......st-1.jpg

Holy cow - I just realized that the WHOLE reason I don't like appreciate the deceptiveness of this illusion is the opening of the bottom section...because it always looks stupid to me! ...but not in yours! I love the look here. Very natural and even more deceptive. Well done!!

Twitter/Instagram: @mattadamsmagic

Facebook: www.facebook.com/illusionistmattadams
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Madison, AL
823 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I've watched thru the first couple discs so far. Great info so far! Looking forward to the rest. Smile

Twitter/Instagram: @mattadamsmagic

Facebook: www.facebook.com/illusionistmattadams
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Has anyone purchased the part II dvd set yet? I just came across it yesterday.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, magictim wrote:
Has anyone purchased the part II dvd set yet? I just came across it yesterday.

Is anyone in the USA selling Part II
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
With your exchange rate it may be just as well to purchase the DVD's from Gerry direct.

Blair
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
140 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I got part 2 for christmas and just finished watching it. I must say that the first one was very useful and worthwhile. It's invaluble for anyone who wants to build illusions, regardless of which ones they are. This course helped me with building an original illusion, and gave me an idea for another one that I'm just starting. However this new second course is not nearly as important. It's great that Gerry decided to do another one, it's nice to see him again. However this one is mostly about building specific illusions, and not illusion building in general. The illusions that he demonstrates are "The Shadow box", "Photo booth", "Head Chopper", "Backstage with the magician", "Asrah Levitation", "Dekolta Chair", and how to make an "ATA case". He demonstrates the deceptive base in a new way and gives a few new general tips, but not really anything important. So unless you're planning to build one of these exact illusions, I really wouldn't recomend this course. I don't want to be rude, but there were several things about this course that I was a bit frustrated by. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the first course about an 8. But this new one I'd only give about a 3 or 4.
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
No doubt part 1 has a lot more info, especially if you're new to building. But there was so much about materials, tools, techniques, and deceptive design, there was only one disc left for building. Many people said they loved part 1, but wanted to see more video blueprints, actual building. So part 2 has 4 discs full of building. And there are several new techniques used that weren't shown in part 1. Several people who have both have told me that they love part 2, so I guess it's a matter of preferences and opinions. Many people also told me that even if they don't plan to build the items, they enjoy just watching me build illusions from start to finish.

All the best,

Gerry
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
308 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
It's actually the commentsin this thread about materials, using tools and techniques that convinced me to buy the dvd set (first one). Plans and books in how to build specific illusions are available elsewhere but a dvd that also shows me how to use my tools and choose the right materials while I learn to make something I want to make sounds great. Hopefully they will arrive on Monday.
GerryFrenette
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of GerryFrenette
True Dale, but not VIDEO blueprints, showing every detail of how to build them.
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
Getting a peek over the shoulder of a pro is invaluable for me and tought me a lot - even if I do not want to build that specific Illusion - for my own projects. Whoever is interested in building illusions cannot go wrong with both sets in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 4.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL