We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21851 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I read through this forum and it goes from "I am not learning enough about building" to nit picking on illusion design theory. These DVD are a "quick" course in building illusions. It is really needed, and is a great value.

If you feel you need more knowledge of the basics, that is not intent of these DVDs, a person should enroll in an adult education course at your local schools. There you will learn about tools and how to operate them. Then take a wood class, a welding class, and cabinet making class. These DVDs are not full course in the basics of tools and wood working.

As far as the chrome strip. It is long standing "secret" that this is a way to break up thickness and make something thinner. I can't believe that people that don't know the design secrets, are telling an "expert" that he is wrong. How insulting is that.

I have recently experienced this myself. A 21 year old kid, seen me working on my car. He goes out and buys a junk car. Ask me to help him put a new clutch in it and tear about the engine. He does not even know how to use a wrench properly, and then at every piece of advice I give, he says he does not agree with my solution. And yet, when he does what I suggest, it always works. Then he calls me a genius. So I just let him go. Today, I asked if torqued all the nuts. He said no. Believe me, I don't want to be anywhere near that car, when he turns the key.

Guys, if you don't like what you see on the DVDs, then don't do it and do it your way. I guess some just have to learn the hard way. But don't argue with the expert and don't tell him he is wrong. You just don't know what other "secrets" he possesses.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I got Part 2 Last week-- I liked it better than part 1--- So I guess it come down to what you like-- I liked the table (and will build one) also liked his base and steps design. there was a glitch in Disc 3 (it may have been only on the one I got) and I could not watch how to makes the wire form (but I am happy with my purchace). My wish list for part 3 if there is one -- please show how to make Zig Zag roller shades ( I get this question all the time). also on the interview portion I would like to know the story behind (did he do anything) when the Mask Magician exposed one of his original illusions on TV. Lot of info here great DVDs
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
307 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Well I've been through all of the first set now except the last two illusions and it's definitely a very helpful set of DVDs for me. The advice on deceptive design especially made me realise why sometimes I have seen performances which are truly amazing and others where I felt you could of fitted a horse in the prop.

I have a couple of questions for you Gerry though others may be able to help.
The advice on the Sphinx principle was very helpful. I already understood the basics and I gained a little more from this dvd but was a little disappointed that there is no illusion build on the dvd that uses it (though as I said I haven't properly watched the second two builds yet so I may be wrong).
I am going to build a Sphinx table soon for a specific show and would be very interested if anyone could point me towards more details. I think I know enough already to get it right by trial and error but the more info I start with the better. So if anyone can help please feel free to PM me.

Secondly I am wondering what rights I get with the dvd. Sure the right to build and perform is included but what about to build and sell?
I'm guessing that it depends on who invented the illusion and when but then I also wonder about the specific designs that Gerry has provided? Can I make and sell these? There's only the vaguest chance this might happen but I'm interested to know.

Thanks

Dale
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2015, DaleTrueman wrote:
Secondly I am wondering what rights I get with the dvd. Sure the right to build and perform is included but what about to build and sell?
I'm guessing that it depends on who invented the illusion and when but then I also wonder about the specific designs that Gerry has provided? Can I make and sell these? There's only the vaguest chance this might happen but I'm interested to know.

Thanks

Dale

My guess is you have the right to build and sell everything but Gerry Frenette original base and steps design and his Phone Booth Illusion.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
140 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I believe that any illusion that's in the public domain can be built and sold by anyone. I'm not sure about the steps and phone booth though.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I rewatched the Faux painting segment last night--- He said on video that his wife does this not him, he should have let her do the segment on the video also-- it was a hot mess, and she is better to look at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL