The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half which to buy (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Profile of somethingupmysleeve
Hi all. I'd like to buy a Hopping Halves set in UK coins. I've seen Alakazam now offer a £2/2p version like Mark Mason (jbtv).

Alakazam is slightly more expensive (£65 vs £55), but I would be interested to know if anyone has a strong recommendation of one above the other?

Many thanks for your help.

Jon
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I am a huge Mark Mason fan but Alakazam has a pretty good reputation as far as I have seen. ( I have never seen a thread complaining about anything they make or their service ). It is really up to you. I do know for a fact that any coin gaff you buy from Mark will be top shelf though.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Another vote for Johnson here. I have had a csb set for about 20+ years now and it is still a great set of coins! I recently bought a Johnson HH set and it is in excellent condition. The ['s fit perfect. I cant wait to get time to play with it! Johnson (for me) is no doubt the best bang for the buck.. Smile
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Thanks both for your input. I bought a Coin Unique from Mark and loved it, but have also bought a few things from Alakazam in my time. Unfortunately with the exchange rate at the moment Johnson will be too expensive - alas!
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
I am also a huge fan of Mark Mason. I got Coin Unique too, waiting in the mail.
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Coin Unique is fantastic. I have the 1 pound / 1 pence version, so I'll need to introduce it differently once the pound coin changes in the UK next year! I'm hoping they don't change any more currency - doesn't help our coin magic!

Re. hopping halves, I've asked Mark if he has any in stock, so fingers crossed...
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Mine is Johnson. Affordable price and good quality.

I still remember how happy is when my first time received it. It was 25yrs ago.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I too owned a Sun and Moon American half-dollar and English penny set, by Tango.
They rattled about like an old pair of false teeth.
Maybe I just got unlucky. Or perhaps expect too much.

I eventually got disheartened with them, and sold them on.
The spectator never noticed, but I always cringed every time I used them.
No, the coins not the old false teeth!

However, I do miss that routine.

Consequently, I have bought another set of coins, sold by Merlins Magic, of Wakefield, England.
Machined by a local engineer with 30 years experience.

A set of Tango coins will cost about £65-£70 in the UK.
Merlins sell this routine for £40 - which includes a matching ungimmicked penny and half-dollar.

Looking forward to reviewing this item when I receive it.
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
I have a Mason Walking Liberty set. The shells are not expanded, so the coins are shaved as a result. It handles great! Also have a Johnson Kennedy set that works great, as well!!

Can’t go wrong with either!!
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Shouksmiths ...
on your recommendation, I bought the half-dollar and English penny from Merlins Magic of Wakefield.
I understand they are made by a local jeweller with 30 years experience of working with coins.

Wow - quality is excellent.
I ordered mine 3:30pm - and received the coins the very next day.

I took the option to purchase a matching ungimmicked set of coins too, to use with the Quiver purse.

Cannot recommend this supplier and the quality of goods highly enough!!
Fantastic customer service, quality - and VERY competitive price.
Saved me £££'s
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
What are the resources for other hopping half routines? The effect is nice, but it seems a bit repetitive and can make the person watching feel a bit dumb
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi wilso,

Take a look here form some ideas of hopping half routines: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=202

Regards, Steve
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2020, w I l s o wrote:
What are the resources for other hopping half routines? The effect is nice, but it seems a bit repetitive and can make the person watching feel a bit dumb

Lots of effects are just about equally repetitive. I’d say the main thing is to avoid making your spectator feel dumb, and that’s easy.

Instead of challenging them each time to say what coin remains (and always being wrong), make it about how you yourself once saw a magician doing this effect, and YOU (the magician) were always wrong. It baffled you, but lo and behold, it still happens, every time you demo it. You still can’t figure out why it happens, but it does.

This takes the spectator out of the equation of being a victim; instead, you present yourself as the baffled dunce (and let the spec be baffled silently and harmlessly).

Or make up some sort of 3rd person story to narrate, and let the coins represent two deeply bonded characters in that story who just can’t stay apart, no matter what. Or the like.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hopping Half which to buy (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL