The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best way to flip back a reverse card in the deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi, sometimes in a trick, you need to place a few reverse card in the deck. there is this trick I perform that has a few cards reversed right at the top of the deck, ie. for instance, 3 faced down cards on top, followed by the rest of the deck faced up.

how do I flip the other 49 face-up cards over to make the whole deck faced down without causing suspicion?
(i need to make this move as this move is close to the end of the trick, and I am about to pass the deck out for examination)

please help
thanks
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Eric:
A half pass may work just fine, or (depending on how you need the deck to end up) a Braue reversal.

Best of luck.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
You'll be needing to do a half pass then Smile

Essentially your left fingers spin the bottom face up half face down. If you're going to be handing the cards out you can easily cover for this by placing the cards on a table on onto someones hand etc..

Check out Complete Walton volume one for a good description

--Euan
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
If you want to make the Half Pass easier you could simply drop your hand a little and with a touch of misdirection simply rotate your hand round so that the pack is tuned upside down. This will mean you only have to rotate the bottom three - perhaps easier to disguise than turning 49 over; buckle and Half Pass or Spread Half Pass.
jeline
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore
150 Posts

Profile of jeline
I think the half past is best if your standing. If you're seated, you can control the card to the bottom, then reverse the card from a riffle shuffle (actually is during the pushing of the halves together). Not very difficult at all.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
You might consider carefully whether or not you really need to have the deck examined. Unless the deck is being called into question, it's probably not necessary.

If you must, as has been said, a half pass would do the job. If you are holding the deck in your left hand with a break below the face down cards, executing the half pass as you take the deck in your left hand to hand it to the spectator should provide ample cover ("the larger movement covering the smaller").

If you are uncomfortable with the half pass, you could turn the deck over as spadone suggested then in the process of handing the deck over, "accidentally" drop the bottom few cards of the deck. Pick 'em up and straighten 'em out then hand them over too. A sort of Klutz Half Pass that on an unspoken level says that you must not be hiding anything if you can be that casual about handling the cards.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
My method is a Half Pass.
EricClark
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
68 Posts

Profile of EricClark
For the visual learners,

Jay Sankey shows a pass method to accomplish this in The Very Best of Sankey Volume 1.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
228 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
A less elegant method would be to just spring or dribble the cards and "accidently" let a few escape your hands. You can then clean up everything right in the open.

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Aaron Fisher has great notes on the half pass. I saw his lecture and we spend like.....1 hour on the half pass and bluff pass. Nobody passes like him. LOL Smile Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'll second the handling style where you avoid more difficult moves... Smile

the method I use tends to be the one where you drop your hand to the side, then use your thumb to pull around the card or cards you need... then bring up the deck facing the other way

very simple and also avoids procedures with tense moments or extra/fourishy cutting sequences
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Has any suggest the half pas... oh...

I would suggest using the Bevan Ultilty Pass by Phil Bevan. It can be done one handed.

Why not just let your hands fall to your sides whilst they remember their cards and turn the bottom card over then bring the deck up upside down.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best way to flip back a reverse card in the deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL