The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Anyone know the source? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Does anyone know the source/origin of the silk through mic stand effect where the silk is tied with one false overhand knot, one end is looped around the mic stand again, and then a normal overhand knot is tied? The silk then penetrates the mic stand, leaving a single overhand knot on the silk.

Thanks,

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It was called Hyper silk. I believe it was in the Pallbearer's review. I will dig out the directions and see if there is a credit. Seems like it credit to Lyn Searles or something like that but let me check tomorrow.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

I sent you a PM.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
This was in Tarbell....(volume 1?)
Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks,

JNeal... Can you be more specific (name of effect)? I just got through scouring Tarbell 1, and I'm not finding this particular one.

Richard... that would be great, I would love to see that source. I'm trying to footnote my improvements on things, and offer the original to show the evolution of the work.

Thanks again,

Jimmy
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What you discribe is the exact routine that Rice Silk King Studio has sold for over 50 years. Their effect is called Dis-Solvo and uses a rope instead of a mic stand, probably because they did not have microphone stands back then. A knot is tied around a rope, then another knot is tied on top of 1st knot.The silk is drawn through the rope with knots still in tact.

This was one of the 1st tricks I owned as a youth.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Dis-solvo.htm

JNeal does it on his promo video on his web site.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I found my copy. Is attributed to (in this piece) to Norman Houghton with notes by J.W. Sarles. It was on page 482. It also has ways to do it through wands and arms. George Schlinder has taught this in his lecture for years through the arm.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks Richard! In these versions, is it required to loop the end of the silk around the pole after tying the false knot? The way that JNeal and I do it, we have alleviated this move. I've got a pm in to JNeal to find out his inspiration for doing this move. Who knows, he may have seen it in my old book, "Finger Magic" as well.

I've been doing and lecturing the Tied Silk off of Mic Stand (with the subtlety for eliminating the 'loop around') for years, and nobody has ever mentioned pre-existing instances.

At least my Silk through Mic Stand without the reel or gimmicks is original, thankfully.

JF
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will try to remember to scan the copy and send it to you tomorrow.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks to everyone for your help. The Dis-solvo is done in the exact same way that I was doing it and it was invented and sold before I came up with it in the early 90's on my own.

However, the gimmickless silk through mic stand is original.

Jimmy Fingers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Anyone know the source? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL