The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Upside down straitjacket escape! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
Hi guys!

Feel free to check out my upside down straitjacket escape on Canada's Got Talent: http://youtu.be/zUhjYvik7-4

I started practicing this stunt a year before I did it for the public and you'll also be happy to know I learned a lot about it from reading this section on the Café. The search engine really does help! My ankle harnesses came right from a suggestion on this section Smile

Anyways just wanted to share what the Café helped me do!

Lucas Wilson
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It's not a record, but good job!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
No the official record is 19.2 seconds...which I hold lol true story! However 19.2 seconds doesn't make good television so we phrased things a little differently so we could make the best tv possible! Smile

Thanks
Lucas
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Hey Lucas
Great job on the show - those are never easy to deal with.
Were those the Amspec 6" ankle straps? I'm actually researching them now, and I was wondering if you liked the way they worked.
I am also curious if you used any "additional rigging", or if it was just the ankles.I'm sure you know what I mean (Ms Morgan has posted some thoughts about additional stuff and I have been thinking about another Amspec product to combine with the ankle straps).
If you would prefer - please feel free to PM me and I will be able to ask my questions more directly.
Thanks, and good luck with the next round.

PS: I wish we had a time machine, so you could go back and try presenting it in a completely opposite way - ie. struggling for 2 mins or so and having a really hard time escaping, only to finally emerge victorious at the last minute. I'd love to know how that presentation would have played on that stage, on that night, under those conditions.
I realize there might have been artificial time restrictions for you, but I'm curious about the merits of different ways of presenting this.
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
Hey!

Yes those are the Amspec 6" ankle straps! They as amazing! Very comfortable and secure! I have never really been in a position where I have been so high off the ground I wanted extra rigging. I do have a full body harness and wore it the first time I hung upside down just as a back up so I felt 100% safe, but the ankle straps felt just fine for me! If I was to be going really high I would definitely add my harness back in. However in most cases I am in theatres and not 50 feet in the air and I feel safe.

I think both methods of escaping a straitjacket (fast and slow) have pros and cons. Personally I am going for speed it really does create a "wow" factor because straitjackets are known for being so hard to get out of. However on the other hand a drawn out escape really builds tension! To each his own, this is just my little thing. Its a double edged sword but so far I am having fun with it.

Thanks
Lucas Wilson
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thank Lucas
Yes, Different strokes - not just for different folks, but potentially for different situations. In the end it all comes down to entertainment - and as long as we do that - then job done!
I was about to order the straps from Amspec, but wasn't sure if they only have the 2 Velcro straps for closure, or if there is also a friction strap & buckle.
I think I'd want something in addition to velcro straps.
I hear what you're saying about the backup harness. I suspect I might also look at it on a case by case basis. Was thinking about their jerk vests.
Thanks again for the info, and good luck with the rest!!!
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Been using the Amspec ankle harness for years they nwork real nice and comfortable. Each ankle harness uses 2 of these belts, Item: K3719, for closure. http://www.paragear.com/templates/parach......&level=1
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Sadly the video has been removed by youtube. Any chance of getting it sent over? I'd love to see it.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
Hey Ros,

Yes the video has been reposted here: http://vimeo.com/39122254

Enjoy! Smile

Lucas Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Upside down straitjacket escape! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL