The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just curious... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
And still going strong. The androgynous, skinny gamine has grown up into a lovely woman.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Does your "neoteny" theory cover this one, Woland?

Roberto Cavalli Spring 2012 Ad Campaign
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ai yi yi . . . With respect to certain secondary sexual characteristics, magicalaurie, I think it does, although the overall effect is . . . I don't know how to describe it . . .
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
But it's what the public wants, no?

Max Mara Spring 2012 Ad Campaign

Well, looking at some of these tonight, I'm wondering if there's not a vampire influence. This one seems a bit Vulcan-Vampire hybrid. That would cover the undead aspiration, at least for the very very short term.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well you can't judge what the public wants by a single advert . . . many of these campaigns may fail, after all. But it does appear that the public is interested in skinny, androgynous, deathly-ill appearing images . . . undoubtedly the Dame aux Camelias was more voluptuous, but she was just as surely deathly ill . . . so this is not altogether a new theme.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
How does that response sync with this:

Quote:
On 2012-03-21 18:53, Woland wrote:
...Advertisers seek to align what they are selling with what the public already wants.

?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Pretty well, I think. Advertisers do seek to align their adverts with what the public already wants, but they don't always succeed. Moreover, the increasing neoteny of our culture is also accompanied by a certain neophilia . . . there is a definite cachet associated with innovation. This is certainly true of fashion . . . there are a certain number of customers (these are the 15% or 15% we've mentioned before) who want to have the newest styles . . . In attempting to appeal to them, it is inevitable that advertisers will make some mistakes.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I am against bans in general. Way too much "banning" going on these days IMO. Maybe there is room for models of all kinds of shapes and sizes based on who is being marketed to. I know we are all supposed to be skinny by now or at least in line to get our "get thin" surgery... So which is it? Are we supposed to do everything we can to trim down or do we simply show tolerance to all and live and let live? Models and appropriate clothing sizes for all, woohoo!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think this thread has reached the magic (forgive that word here, I meant no conjuring) ratio where the number of banned members participating in it is now greater than the number of unbanned members.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just curious... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL