The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Extra Time Fee (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Hello all! I have a question about extra time for shows.
I mainly do kids birthday parties (bread and butter) and NORMALLY everything works fine. I don't normally do a contract, or deposit and I do my hour and get $125(which is about all I can squeeze in this area/economy)after the show. No Problems, no mess. I like to get paid after the show, because they often tip if they pay after. If they pay before, it's easier to leave right after and not stand there awkwardly asking for money, but again, no tip.

But every so often the kids ask for a few too many balloons, and I'm leaving a bit later than I wanted. My first thought is to send them a contract saying that extra time is extra, do the show, track my time, send them a bill for the total. My reservation is seeming like a jerk, although I know this is professional and expected. I'd rather be liked and referred than professional and perhaps seeming distant. Maybe I'm being too cautious.

What is your M.O.? and How much do you charge for extra time if you do? Keep in mind how much my normal fee and show is. I know some of you do $200 a show no problem. Obviously we would have to adjust for that.

Thanks!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
With birthdays, I don't include balloons "by time." I include balloons "by the number of children." In my standard birthday package, the birthday child gets a balloon hat and a balloon animal. Each of the other kids gets a single balloon animal. If they got one during the show, they don't get another one at the end.

If there are more children, then making balloons might take a few extra minutes. But I also confirm the number of children when booking the show, and my fees are partly based on the total number of children (and sometimes adults) at the party. I have one set of fees for up to 15 kids, another set of fees for 16-25 kids, etc.

I have a good idea how much time the balloons will take, based on the number of children at the party. My standard package runs about 40-45 minutes, and that includes the show and the balloons.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
My basic rate includes balloons for 15 children. There aren't many parties bigger than that. If they are, it's only by a few...and if there are LOTS more, it's no longer a birthday party.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Sent you a PM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Extra Time Fee (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL