The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Unique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've been thinking of coin workers that are unique in what they do or have done as to coin magic. I'm not exactly thinking of necessarily great or classic coin workers, though they all have my deepest respect, but I was thinking along the lines of the guys that have taken things to a different level so to speak.

For me, I think of 3 like Rocco, Sylvester The Jester and Mickey Silver. These guys, to me brought a real uniqueness to the table in fine display as to Sl**ving, The Pitch, and the uncanny usage of the ROV. They took these elements and did things with them that are unparalleled and can't be regarded as run-of-the-mill by the big or small, IMHO. these workers are so dynamic that I find their work with coins extraordinary to say the least, and not to mention they seemingly didn't just follow the yellow brick road as laid.

So what 3 would you guys think of in these unique ways and why? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I don’t think I could leave David Roth off such a list. Not sure if there is anything particularly "unique" in Roth's history but he certainly has advanced coin magic more than anyone else I can think of in our time. Al Schneider is also a top innovator in coin magic. His work on the theory of magic - most of which involves coin magic - is above and beyond what most have brought to the table IMO. Those are the two that come to my mind right off the bat. If a third pops into my head I'll have to post back. Smile

Thank you.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-03-24 15:06, Mb217 wrote:
...I'm not exactly thinking of necessarily great or classic coin workers, though they all have my deepest respect, but I was thinking along the lines of the guys that have taken things to a different level so to speak....

J, I didn't forget those guys (How could I, how could anyone?) at all but gave other examples of what I'm considering as to the realm of "unique." As I initially posted here, I would consider the guys you mention as classic greats for their tremendous contributions. But I am talking about something else here and I thought I clearly said that but maybe not. Smile Think of it, if you were answering this question as you have, you probably would not have mentioned any of the 3 magicians I mentioned despite their fine abilities and accomplishments...is that true enough? Funny, I see these guys as greats and innovative as well but clearly, "uniquely" different than the sort of group you are describing here, wouldn't you agree? Smile

Again, I mention these 3 guys because of their uniqueness. Perhaps some might not find them to be all that unique but that's why I presented this as to each his own. In the way that you have interpreted this J, I would think you might add as a 3rd the creative Steve Dusheck...He would certainly fit in as to how you seem to be thinking of the word "unique" despite my given parameters here in this case. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I think of Ponta the Smith, Giacomo Bertini and Mickey Silver.

Ponta for his stunning mechanics and style in performing the classic coin routines - really, like no other.

Giacomo for his totally unique methods in performing the classics, and

Mickey Silver for creating uniquely strong visual illusions with coins.

All are in a class by themselves and march to a little different beat.

chuck
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Ponta and Bertini are 2 very good ones to consider here along the lines of being "unique." Good choices. I have been in touch with both of them now & again and their thinking and abilities are off the charts and their fine works speak to that in creative new ways beyond that of mere routining and or re-routining. And we totally hit the same bullseye as to Mickey Silver's uniqueness and overall creativity. Good shoot, cp. Smile

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Marion, You and Vinny and Rannie have all come up with new approaches and handling.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I was going to say! Marion, you've got all kinds of new coin stuff! Yeah, Ponta, for sure, and Mickey Silver! But let's not forget Dr. Michael Rubinstein along with Roth and Mike Gallo. He gave us the three volume Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights! Gallo has given us his dad's "Gallo Pitch" and a slew of other unique things. Then there's Tim Feher, Dan Watkins, Vinny...gosh, there are quite a few... Smile

Doug
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Doug, I'm with you. They're all unique men in their own way. Gotta include Latta, Harbottle, Kam, Watkins, Salinas, McClintock and Ammar. ALL have added great contributions to Coin Magic.

And don't forget the irreplaceable David Neighbors. He's a perpetual creative coin maniac dynamo. And a truly nice guy willing to help wannabes like moi. David is a sleight master and the one who instilled confidence in me to start working with gaffs and gimmicks and combine old school with new thinking.

And I'm gonna see him in person and get schooled in a couple weeks! Yow!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay Dude,
Thanks so Much Man!!! Smile And guys you only have A Couple weeks to say if there is anything you would like to see on the workshop tape??? And we will try to get to it if we can! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I think I would also add Lawrens Goden for his work in his DVD, Moneypulation. The routines and methods he creates in this work are highly original (at least to me). The end result in his effects are stunning. Just not your typical variation on common themes that we are used to seeing from so much of dvd output. This is different and shows some really good thinking and mechanics.

For me, Ponta, Bertini, Mickey Silver, and Lawrens Godon are some of the coin conjurers who are pushing the envelope more than the other popular names in coin magic who we are all also indebted to of course. These guys are truly doing things outside the box unlike most others. I am not sayng they are necessarily better magicians - just that they are contibuting more now to the body of knowledge.

chuck
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow! Great topic, Marion!

What a line-up! We are very fortunate! When the numbness goes away in my pinky and ring fingers, I'm gonna work on that 10-kai! Smile

Yeah, I didn't forget Mr. Neighbors! I thought of him after I posted! Ain't that the way it goes? Smile

Which reminds me, David, are there ANY videos (YouTube or otherwise) showing your talents? Being up here in the willy-wacks puts me out of the picture as far as personal visits! Smile

Doug
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Doug, You can find The Coinjurer DVD on-line from various distributors. He can also be found on the COINvention DVD. And we'll be taping him on April 14th during his Spokane Lecture and Workshop---20 years from when The Coinjurer was recorded! Our plan is to have more of his magic and teaching released on DVD than ever! There will be about 12 routines on the Lecture DVD (fairly EASY stuff) and plenty of stuff on the Workshop DVD (we're going through a list of 24 routines right now; intermediate and hard routines).

We would really like the Magic Café guys to let us know what they would ideally like to see on a David Neighbors Workshop DVD. Ideas we're kicking around right now are: Matrix Routines, Okito Box handling, Super Coin / Split Coin effects, his Cerberus Set and handling, Stand Up SANDY routine, Chinese Bit effects, Parlour Magic---you get the idea! The Man is an expert on gaffs, gimmicks and sleights. He has many NEW ideas. So this is the time to let us know what would be on your Wish List!

Seeing him LIVE in Spokane, WA on April would be best, but if you can't make it, the DVDs will be fantastic entertainment and a set of tremendous resources.

Okay, David, I think it's time for you to chime in!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thank you Atom!

Yeah, the Okito box routines would be great! I'm at the library right now, and tried my Okito Box on the librarian. She busted me! She also said she hates magic, so I tried not to take it personally. I hate getting busted! Gotta work on it some more. Bad angles, I guess...

Yeah, the DVD's are most definitely on my WANT list! I appreciate the heads-up! Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Thanks Atom,
I think The only You tube Video's Are from the Coinjurer Video! And Atom said something about Parlour Coin Magic! I am thinking about 6-7 Parlour Coin routines! Becase I don't Think there is enough Of that kind of Coin Magic out there ! Smile So ok gang Let me know! Thanks so Much!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quite a list of coin magi!

Hard to provide at this moment, but I'd want to include:

• T. Downs for inspiration, setting the bar so high, and being the it-guy.
  • Also L'Homme Masque for inspiring Downs and giving us important tools and concepts.
  • Hilliard for writing Downs' book and for Greater Magic
  • Walter Gibson for being such a prolific writer and freely giving the how-to (e.g., Illustrated Encyclopedia of Closeup Magic) and for publishing tons of stuff
  • Hay for Amateur Magician's Handbook - clear guidance here
  • Arthur Buckley for multi-coin coolness and interesting spins
  • Eddie Joseph for unique thoughts
  • Larry Jennings for sheer whimsy
  • Milt Kort for always taking things one step further
  • JB Bobo for Bobo!
  • Dan Sylvester for visual magic plus
  • Sankey for enthusiasm
  • McBride for detail
  • David Neighbors' technique
  • (Gee - this could go on)
  • AND the gang that hangs out here at the Café for encouraging others and sharing ideas.

Whew.
eidanyoson
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of eidanyoson
And Joaquin Navajas, So important that all magic coin in Spain is in doubt with him. So great, so little time...

Inventor of "la caverna", "la catapulta" and others.

Or Juan Luis Rubiales, with his O´pongo box for example...

Don,t forget magic out of USA...
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Where can we in the U.S. find our Spanish friends' material to purchase? Preferably in English?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea I have seen some of the Spanish guys at F.F.F.F. But never got to see much of there coin stuff! Maybe this year!:)
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Please add:

Dean Dill

Al Schneider
TH

Occupy Your Dream
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Gary Kurtz

Jay Sankey

Michael Rubinstein

Sol Stone
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins Unique (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL