The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Size of paddle handle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
I am wondering what would be the perfect dimensions for a paddle handle. Most paddles are quite small, I am looking for a bigger size. I guess the profile should not be square but rectangular with the wider sides shown to the audience. Sharp edges could be better than rounded edges. At the moment I am testing some standard wood profiles from the hobby shop. The dimensions are from 5 x 8 mm to 10 to 13 mm.

Any advice is welcome.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Sounds like you're on the right track. I like that size too.
This is where a fine Japanese saw comes in handy.
What type of wood are you using?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I'd try more like a 1:2 ratio. Like 4mm x 8mm, or 5mm x 10mm. You want the "flip" to be snappy and quick. Sharp action.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What I found when redesigning my Cash Paddle was that the height of the handle can be too short, in relation to the width. Even a squarish shape will work, as long as there is enough height to get the action started. The Number 2 Pencil is hexagonal, which is closer to square than rectangular. Although the hex shape requires a bit more precision to start and stop exactly where you want it, sufficient height is there to get the process started.

I have preferences with color changing knives for the same reason. I find some harder to get "rolling", because they are too short (height) for the width.

I also made a jumbo Hot Rod, which was designed with a "Cricket bat" shape with a defined handle, rather than the typical Hot Rod "gem stick" shape. It made the working quite easy, in spite of the size.

I think though, that you can find a happy medium if production is the goal, but individual preferences will always be there, and should rule if making it for your own use.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
My idea is to make my own set of Jumping Gems with some extra paddles according to the 1985 publication from Phil Goldstein. Here in Germany I found a wood supplier who cuts ebony wood on demand. So I will use ebony. There are very nice gems available from Swarovsky. http://www.perlenpaula.de/index.php/cPath/72_92_501 That is the reason why I do want the biggest gems possible. It simply would look better. And the shape of the Rivoli clearly shows that the gem is not on the paddle stick but inlaid into the paddle.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm not familiar with the Phil Goldstein publication you mentioned, but would be curious to see it. I recently made a few sets of Jumping Gems that also include Flash Rod, a Rainbow Rod (similar to Flash Rod, but with a row of vari-colored gems instead of all white), plus a Hot Rod that color-matches the Rainbow Rod... 5 rods total in the full set. Mine are made from Walnut to match the other paddle rods that I offer. The gems are inlaid, as well, but not the expensive crystals you mentioned. Your sets should be very nice! Mine can be seen on my website.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Size of paddle handle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL