The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Growing Sponge Ball - Restaurant Scene (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a sponge ball routine for my restaurant act and I'm wanting to use 'The Growing Sponge Ball' as my finale. Does anyone use 'The Growing Sponge Ball' in their restaurant act? If so whats the reaction of the spectators and more importantly is it practical. My major concern would be keeping the over-sized ball compressed so it wouldn't make my pockets bulge. Any ideas? Also is there anyway I could make the ball vanish so that it would be automatically reset for the next table?

Hope you can help,

Mike J

"Nothing's Impossible" Smile
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I do a change to a small globe as a finale to my sponge ball routine. It comes right after the two into the spectator's hand.

I tell them that I will PRINT on the sponge ball the LOCATION OF THEIR BIRTH!

When the miniature globe makes its appearance, the laughs (and groans) are quite loud - then the amazement sets in: "How in the H**l did he make that little Nerf ball into a solid, water-filled GLOBE?!"

On other occasions, I load in a walnut, instead of the globe. Final line - "Doesn't that drive you nuts?"

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Hi Mikej,
I don't use a Growing Sponge Ball in my walkaround - it would take up too much room for me, and I don't think the reaction would out weigh the bulk. If I did do it, I would probably compress it and wedge it into the corner of my back pocket. I don't think I'd make it vanish afterward. That would be anticlimactic to what you've already worked so hard to accomplish. I'd just put it back away with a line like "How am I going to explain this to the other sponges?"
Try it a few different ways and see what happens.

Gician Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I use the growing sponge ball all the time as a finale to my sponge ball routine.

You should know that there are two types of growing sponge balls. One is just a really big sponge ball and the other is the kind that stays small and then actually does grow when brought into play.

The second kind takes up no more room than an actual sponge ball and is easily reset. Sometimes I reset it right in front of the spectators without them even knowing. Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Thanks for the reply's.

Kalix, what's the actual name of the Sponge Ball that is small and easily reset?

Thanks,

Mike Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have used it as a finale and it works well. As far as the reset I just do it under the table as I talk to them. Towards the end I try to put the ball away and it keeps coming back a real big problem, no I mean a REAL BIG Problem! (the big ball) I think I get a better reaction with 15 little balls than the big ball.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Flourish dude, do you just compress the 15 small balls?

Thanks,

Mike
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
Hey Mike.

I'm not sure if any of the gang is talking about the goshman's growing ball that is hollow and when turned inside out looks (mostly) like a regular sponge ball.

That is the one I use and it is the trick I use for fairly young kids (4-6 yrs old). I've found that adult women really love the trick too.

As far as concealment, I do a multiplying balls routine and finsh by counting the (3-5) balls I've produced into my fist (they go right in on top of the
inside-out ball.) Then it's a simple motion to turn the ball right-side out with the other balls going into the hollow space.

No need to vanish it..as mentioned before it's anti-climactic to vanish it.
good luck! Smile
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Yes, I have the smalls balls in my left pocket and the three large ones in my right. As they shake their hand and say the magic words I go into the left pocket and grab a handfull. I may not get all 15 but I get enough to make the effect

PS The growing ball is the hallow one that looks like a 2" inside out
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Dear Mike,

Try this:

Wear a jacket. Fold and roll up a giant sponge ball and place it into a ball clip, pinned to the inside of your jacket, where it can easily be reached. When you are ready to perform, steal the compressed giant ball and palm it inside your fist, say the right hand. Hold a smaller ball -obviously the same color- between the thumb and index finger of the same hand concealing the giant ball. With both hands, bring the small ball up to your mouth and pretend to "inflate" it. Under the cover of both hands, discretely insert the small ball into your mouth while you simultaneously release the concealed giant ball from your fist. It will appear as if you have inflated the ball several times larger. Very visual!

Show the ball to your spectators and even let them hold it. Take it back, hold it over your face and using it as cover, remove the ball from your mouth and push it into the giant one as you store them away. Applause and on to the next marvel.

It´s really nice.

Regards,

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Growing Sponge Ball - Restaurant Scene (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL