The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Got another abreaction... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Just in case you believe it never happens, this is my second time getting an abreaction doing Hypnosis in the last 4 years.

Both times were female volunteers, both below 25 years old.

Nothing too bad fortunately and I'm glad I DID take a proper course in Hypnosis.

Just wanted to share.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
I must have done hundreds of hypnosis show but have never yet come across this mythical "abreaction". Ever since I started doing this in 1993 I have been waiting for this fearsome event to befall me. I am still waiting and I strongly suspect I shall be waiting until the day I drop dead. I think the secret to avoiding "abreactions" is not to take "proper courses" in the first place where you hear all about these daft things. Of course not believing in "hypnosis" in the first place may well have something to do with it.

Of course being careful what you stipulate when you ask for volunteers will probably help if you do happen to believe in this tosh.
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
Regression is evil Smile
RichDash
View Profile
New user
Northern California
13 Posts

Profile of RichDash
Sometimes with all the opinions around here it makes me scared to jump into a thread. So, I have been doing hypnosis for about a year now and I will say that 99% of the time it is fun and great. I too have had what I would personally consider an abreaction. It was not a hard core burst of emotion that was dangerous or anything however I will explain.

It was a night working with a woman I had been involved with at one point. The night was going well and I decided that just one more skit would be fun. I had some old pictures that I took back in the 80's at a baseball game. I gave the suguestion that these were pictures the subject had not seen before of people in her life and that she had no clue how I would of gotten ahold of these. I also suguested that some may not be something that would be good to have floating around" No specifics but left it up to her imagination. Well I quickly learned that this skit was super funny but could turn bad quick. When I held up a picture of Denis Eckersley (A former oakland A's pitcher) She immediatly asked why I had a picture of her mother and demanded to know where ihad gotten it. She then informed me that her dad would be vary upset if he knew that I had it. Well a couple more pictures and it was going quite well form her reactions until I held a picture of Ricky Hendersen up. She dropped her jaw, jumped from the chair grabbed the picture crumpled it and put it into her pants. her words were and I Quote "Why in the hell do you have a picture like that of *****(I'll leave her un named)?" Being previously involved with this subject and knowing her family, she associated the picture with her 16 year old niece. Not only that she associated it as a nude photo and was almost in tears and really angry. It really struck me odd as I am close with her family and this little girl is like a little sister to me. There was a decent amount of shell shock involved however within about 5 seconds I was able to gather myself, remind myself that oh crap this is not a good situation and needs action. I immediatly removed the suguestion and all others for the night and took her through some relaxing thoughts and of course did not continue the show for that night. It was only a little fun time with friends and I really needed to gather myself before doing hypnosis again. This was only my 6-7th subject at that time and ever since I have really been careful as to the skits that I use.

Other than that I had one instance of a jealous husband who kept requestiong me to confirm for the room that he had a big dick for some odd reason... I was able to get the answer I wanted from his wife after he hounded me time after time non stop the whole night which didn't end in him being a happy camper. I regreted that and looking back I should have simply removed her from the night and talk to them later saying that because of his immiturity that I could not use her.

Best of luck to you all and I do hope that these instances don't scare you away but rather help you grow.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19860 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 23:24, visionquest wrote:
I must have done hundreds of hypnosis show but have never yet come across this mythical "abreaction". Ever since I started doing this in 1993 I have been waiting for this fearsome event to befall me. I am still waiting and I strongly suspect I shall be waiting until the day I drop dead. I think the secret to avoiding "abreactions" is not to take "proper courses" in the first place where you hear all about these daft things. Of course not believing in "hypnosis" in the first place may well have something to do with it.

Of course being careful what you stipulate when you ask for volunteers will probably help if you do happen to believe in this tosh.


There ya go.

It can be as simple as "the scene is fading".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Nearly fifteen years now, and not a single abreaction. I believe that if you don't believe in them you won't get them - a bit like flying saucers.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19860 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think that it is based on pretty discredited science in the first place. But 20+ years and doing about 5 shows a week average sometimes more and I have NEVER had anything close. I think when guys see strange behavior they stretch the definition.

But Tony I am with ya.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
One thing I believe which would be very helpful in avoiding scenarios of this kind is in the introductory lecture or pre-talk. Many hypnotists specify the kind of person who should avoid volunteering such as epileptics, pregnant women and so on. And quite rightly so. It doesn't take a lot of extra effort to include a few tactful words to discourage mentally unstable people to volunteer. This will weed out probably 90% of them. To get rid of the last 10 percent you do have to have a certain vigilance on stage and dismiss anyone who shows even the slightest signs of instability. In fact you have to be a bit careful of someone who is overly suggestible and TOO good a subject out of proportion to what is normal. Although it can be tempting to use them to their full advantage and milk them dry you do have to use good judgement. In some cases it may be wiser to err on the side of caution and wake them up dismissing them from the stage.

Such situations are fortunately rare but in a few infrequent cases it is better to be safe than sorry. As Ormond McGill once stated, although it may be tempting to milk the situation for laughs it can also build grounds for a lawsuit which may not be quite as funny.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-03-25 21:59, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Just in case you believe it never happens, this is my second time getting an abreaction doing Hypnosis in the last 4 years.

Both times were female volunteers, both below 25 years old.

Nothing too bad fortunately and I'm glad I DID take a proper course in Hypnosis.

Just wanted to share.


I disagree with some here as I have had this happen to me two serious times, with the worse being seizure-like fits with the guy flopping around on the floor like a wild Marlin being brought onto a fishing bat. Another time was more emotionally intense with a girl who was shaking and crying intensely eventually to they point of hyperventilating and stopping breathing. These can be quite scary.

Just because you may not believe in it or have not experienced it, does not mean it doesn't exist.

I also think it's important to understand the difference between someone responding negatively and an abreaction.

What I'm curious about and think could be helpful to others is to know what you did to deal with this, how long it lasted and the final effects.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 12:41, visionquest wrote:
It doesn't take a lot of extra effort to include a few tactful words to discourage mentally unstable people to volunteer. This will weed out probably 90% of them. To get rid of the last 10 percent you do have to have a certain vigilance on stage and dismiss anyone who shows even the slightest signs of instability.


I disagree. Your implication is that only "mentally unstable" people will have an abreaction and your solution is to tell such people not to volunteer. First, most people who are "mentally unstable" (whatever that means) don't recognize themselves as such. In fact, they may consider everyone else to be unstable while they're sound.

Further, the truth is that having an abreaction has nothing to do with the "mental stability" of a person. A person could be the most solid, mentally sound person in the audience, but some visualization while in hypnosis triggers a long-forgotten memory resulting in the abreaction.

Respectfully, your "solution" could result in putting someone on stage facing an abreaction they're not prepared to resolve.

As some people have pointed out, they've never had an abreaction. Good for them. But that's not the issue. Just because you haven't doesn't mean you won't. The solution isn't to tell people who are "mentally unstable" to stay in their seats. Rather, it's to get adequate training so you know exactly how to deal with it instantly and completely.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 10:45, Dannydoyle wrote:
It can be as simple as "the scene is fading".


It "can" be, but that doesn't mean it always is. Further, the way you say, "the scene is fading," vocal tone, body language, accent, intent, etc., can have an impact on this.

The solution, IMO, is to get trained in hypnosis, understand what causes abreactions and learn how to deal with them both theoretically and practically.

It "can" be as simple as saying "the scene is fading," but that doesn't mean it always is that simple.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
I never said that mentally unstable people are the only ones to have an "abreaction". All I am stating is that you reduce the possibility of anything untoward happening by weeding these people out. And of course you don't say, "I would prefer mentally unstable people not to volunteer". There are other ways to drop the hint and I can assure you that if you word it properly people who have issues will not volunteer. A tiny percentage may get through but I have suggested already how to deal with that.

Of course stable people with vivid imaginations may get a bit over-excited. And they can do that perfectly well without being "hypnotised". One advantage of knowing that "hypnosis" is balderdash is that you don't panic and get all excited about somebody going a bit nuts. You don't need "training", especially in something that doesn't exist. In any event I have never seen a classroom hypnotist that is any good.

Prevention is better than cure. A lot of this stuff is common sense and not something that takes deep study. Obviously avoid suggestions that take people back into their lives and that will be a good start. And be careful with things that suggest snakes or flying etc; where people have a fear of such things. You can still use skits like this but before issuing the suggestion put a bit of waffle in it to calm potential phobias. There are many ways to do this.

I swear that a lot of this "abreaction" nonsense is a result of faulty technique somewhere. If Danny Doyle does 5 shows a week for years on end and doesn't get one of these "abreactions" then there is probably more chance of being struck by a meteorite. Thousands of volunteers between me, Tony and Danny and not a single incident? You know something? I am not going to worry about it..................
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would never be so crass as to tell mentally unstable people to stay off the stage. Instead I ask that if you are schizophrenic, only one of you should volunteer.

Seriously, I have only basic CPR training, and cannot use a defibrillator (in fact, I don't even carry a defibrillator). This is because the chances of someone going into cardiac arrest on the stage are too remote to worry about. Abreactions fall into the same category.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19860 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In truth there are things to worry about.

Diabetic coma, low blood sugar, hyperventilation, and a host of physical things. Don't do regression routines and keep stressing just how good this feels. Keep them away from their own emotions and tell them the emotions they will feel.

The guy on the floor flopping about was probably little to do with hypnosis.

I have had people volunter who have probably should have enjoyed the show from the audience. This was my fault and I have learned.

"Abreactions" as people tend to define them are not based on sound science.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 16:06, visionquest wrote:
I never said that mentally unstable people are the only ones to have an "abreaction". All I am stating is that you reduce the possibility of anything untoward happening by weeding these people out. And of course you don't say, "I would prefer mentally unstable people not to volunteer". There are other ways to drop the hint and I can assure you that if you word it properly people who have issues will not volunteer. A tiny percentage may get through but I have suggested already how to deal with that.


I'm sorry, but you still don't get it. People who are "mentally unstable" (whatever that means) often don't consider themselves to be unstable. Can you tell that someone is "mentally unstable" by looking at them? If so, please tell us what such a person looks like.

Further, abreactions can occur to anyone. Being "mentally unstable" has nothing to do with it. This type of disclaimer is useless.


Quote:
Of course stable people with vivid imaginations may get a bit over-excited. And they can do that perfectly well without being "hypnotised". One advantage of knowing that "hypnosis" is balderdash is that you don't panic and get all excited about somebody going a bit nuts. You don't need "training", especially in something that doesn't exist. In any event I have never seen a classroom hypnotist that is any good.


An abreaction has NOTHING to do with getting "a bit over-excited." It is a psychological and may even be a physiological response to a suppressed memory, emotion, feeling, etc. A person who never gets "a bit over-excited" is just as likely to have an abreaction as someone who never gets "over-excited."
Quote:
Prevention is better than cure. A lot of this stuff is common sense and not something that takes deep study. Obviously avoid suggestions that take people back into their lives and that will be a good start. And be careful with things that suggest snakes or flying etc; where people have a fear of such things. You can still use skits like this but before issuing the suggestion put a bit of waffle in it to calm potential phobias. There are many ways to do this.


You're right that prevention is always better than a cure, but how do you prevent something that is unpredictable?

Quote:
I swear that a lot of this "abreaction" nonsense is a result of faulty technique somewhere. If Danny Doyle does 5 shows a week for years on end and doesn't get one of these "abreactions" then there is probably more chance of being struck by a meteorite. Thousands of volunteers between me, Tony and Danny and not a single incident? You know something? I am not going to worry about it..................


Or perhaps it's just because you're more interested in "being right" than caring for your participants by getting thorough training.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Kraig, abreactions do not happen in shows. It is a meaningless fear.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19860 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Repressed memory is based on sketchy science.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-03-26 20:23, TonyB2009 wrote:
Kraig, abreactions do not happen in shows. It is a meaningless fear.


Once again you are wrong. You are speaking about something you know nothing about. I understand this, but other newbies here may take your lack of skill and and true knowledge as fact.

It has happened during shows, I've had it occur in mine and have seen it in another's show as well. Don't speak factually about something you do not know about or have experience. It is certainly not a meaningless fear for those serious about hypnosis.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
I may be wrong but I get a feeling from Dmkraig's post that, unlike Mindpro, he doesn't do many shows if indeed any at all. I get a vibe he is a hypnotherapist rather than a stage showman and performer. He would therefore approach this subject from a hypnotherapist's point of view. However, we stage hypnotists have to live in the real world and in that world these so called "abreactions" aren't as fearsome a matter as is made out. Mainly because they happen so rarely that they aren't worth bothering about. I have a strong suspicion that one man's "abreaction" is another man's "over reaction to suggestion" and that isn't big deal at all if you keep calm and just say to yourself, "This is a load of baloney since I know perfectly well that this person isn't hypnotised in the first place and neither are any of the other idiots here on stage". You are then in a better position to handle the matter in a street wise common sense manner instead of wallowing in psychological gobblydegook.

If anyone finds my portrayal of my beloved volunteers as "idiots" to be offensive I do apologise. However, it must be remembered that I have a very realistic, cynical and jaundiced view of humanity because of my background. I believe it gives me an edge. And it should be noted that the people who never have any abreactions are equally hard boiled and street wise as I am. Danny is an ex-cop and Tony is a hardened, grizzled former newspaper man who covered a lot of criminal matters in his journalism days. And as anyone that knows me will attest, I am a scoundrel of the first magnitude. People like us don't get "abreactions" probably because we have a more realistic and cynical take on them. We don't need "training" because we know people and their psychology. THAT is our training.

But to answer Kraig's points. First the only "training" I need is to know perfectly well that nobody is hypnotised in the first place. That serves me very well. Thus I am not hampered by belief in psychological tosh such as "abreactions". Notice I did not say there were not unexpected events that need to be sorted out but if you have any knowledge of what you are doing and what is actually happening to your subjects then you have nothing to worry about. And yes "ver excitement" is a perfectly valid way of describing what happens to a tiny few of your dafter volunteers.

I am pleased to see that Kraig agrees with me that prevention is better than cure. I am glad to see that he is making progress in his studies with me. If he keeps putting some effort into these things he will eventually get the knack of things. I believe I have already alluded as to how you "prevent what is unpredictable" as he puts it. The thing is that it is NOT unpredictable. You know beforehand that there are various daft people who are liable to make exhibitions of themselves in this hysterical manner. So you prepare for it happening. I have already explained how you prepare for it. You say things in your pre-talk to discourage the unstable. I say, "If you suffer from severe stress or any kind of psychiatric (pause) disturbance (pause again to get a laugh) hypnotism can sometimes-sometimes be a wonderful therapy. But not tonight. Not up here. And not by me. However, if you are in reasonable mental and physical health I will be delighted to have you".

The above or some similar wording discourages 90 percent of the people who would tend to have "abreactions". Contrary to what Kraig claims people do know if they are having psychiatric treatment. But Ormond Mc'Gill points out in his book how you spot an odd few who get through despite this weeding out procedure. He said that any trained stage hypnotist who has half his wits about him will know if he has a nutter on stage who is liable to start getting agitated in this manner and this person is dismissed before they cause too much damage. I am a great fan of Ormond Mc'Gill and do not agree with those who think his methods are "dated". Some of the sharpest advice I have ever read on this subject comes from this great man. And he doesn't mention "abreactions" anywhere in his books and he is considered one of the world's greatest authorities on both stage and therapy hypnosis. He does explain over reactions but despite his penchant for fancy big words he never did come up with "abreactions".

And yes. Ormond DOES say that you can tell the unstable just by looking at them. At least you can if you have a bit of street savvy. Sometimes a few will deceive you but you can spot them very quickly once the hypnosis starts. This is a very good reason for preliminary waking tests which are actually good entertainment in themselves if you proceed in the correct manner. As I have already stated you can often tell you have trouble if the spectator is overly suggestible and seems to get carried away in your initial tests.

And of course you can prevent "abreactions". It seems that Tony, Danny, I and many, many other skilled hypnotists have been doing it for decades. It hasn't happened to me yet and I can guarantee that it never will.
RichDash
View Profile
New user
Northern California
13 Posts

Profile of RichDash
After going back to look up if abreaction had a definitive meaning and discovering its factual use I suppose my experiences in the story that I had shared earlier would possibly fall into that category however it fits more with a "negative reaction" type situation. There’s more to the history of that story than I would like to get into on the net.

Pakar Ilusi, would you mind sharing what happened in your experiences? I certainly am interested to know what exactly happened, any pre reaction info that you would be willing to share with us as well as how you did handle it and if you followed up with the subjects? I am sorry for this to happen and would never wish it on any performer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Got another abreaction... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL