The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Must have childrens show tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
These posts have made me think, and I believe I need to correct my Goals (more like steps to becoming a childrens magician)

(in order from short term to long term)

1.Finish creating my Act
2.Get a magician name
3.Get a Costume
4.Do my first show
5.Get some footage of My Act
6.Do 10 Shows
7.Do 20 good shows
8.Do 30 great shows
9.Do 40 Brilliant Shows
10.Make some money

I stand my original goal of making money, however I now see it as a distant goal that may not occur for 12 months

Is there any steps I should add to this process???? (asuming I have nothing more than an Act)

At the moment I need to finish my act (routines for sponge ball routine and T&R newspaper)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 05:30, Majake314 wrote:

1.Finish creating my Act
2.Get a magician name
3.Get a Costume
4.Do my first show
5.Get some footage of My Act
6.Do 10 Shows
7.Do 20 good shows
8.Do 30 great shows
9.Do 40 Brilliant Shows
10.Make some money

Is there any steps I should add to this process???? (asuming I have nothing more than an Act)

11. Read the following thread carefully: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Quote:
2.Get a magician name
3.Get a Costume

I don't think these are necessary, and can actually hurt your progress.

By far, MOST magician’s are bad actors. A special name and costume may lock you into a character that is not right for you. At this stage of the game, be yourself - just hyped up a bit.

Whatever magic name you get now, you will probably change later, so why not use your real name until you go pro (and perhaps even then?) They can lock you into a dream of something you are not - a young magician.

Get an act, do a show. Get someone to video it. Carefully view it and have someone point out every problem in it (a big sister usually can work for that!). You want NEGATIVE criticism, NOT positive. Improve with the negative criticism, get taped again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't think about money until you consistently get GOOD tips from private individual's free shows. Then start charging what you get in tips. When you start getting good tips again, raise your rates to that of your current rate + tip... Repeat. At some point you will stop getting tips regularly. This means either your show is not improving, or you have reached the max amount you can charge for a show in your area. Assume it is your show.

Once you do it for the money things change - and not always for the better.

BTW, ask almost any magician, and he/she will tell you they do a good show. A magician is his own fondest (blind) critic.
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 14:33, KC Cameron wrote:
Quote:
2.Get a magician name
3.Get a Costume

I don't think these are necessary, and can actually hurt your progress.

By far, MOST magician’s are bad actors. A special name and costume may lock you into a character that is not right for you. At this stage of the game, be yourself - just hyped up a bit.

Whatever magic name you get now, you will probably change later, so why not use your real name until you go pro (and perhaps even then?) They can lock you into a dream of something you are not - a young magician.

Get an act, do a show. Get someone to video it. Carefully view it and have someone point out every problem in it (a big sister usually can work for that!). You want NEGATIVE criticism, NOT positive. Improve with the negative criticism, get taped again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't think about money until you consistently get GOOD tips from private individual's free shows. Then start charging what you get in tips. When you start getting good tips again, raise your rates to that of your current rate + tip... Repeat. At some point you will stop getting tips regularly. This means either your show is not improving, or you have reached the max amount you can charge for a show in your area. Assume it is your show.

Once you do it for the money things change - and not always for the better.

BTW, ask almost any magician, and he/she will tell you they do a good show. A magician is his own fondest (blind) critic.

I agree

But if I don't have a costume, then what would I wear to a show???
I wasnt going to get anyhting special for a costume... I just thought I better get one! (obviously not)
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Jake, here is a big secret: Costumes are for magicians and parents far more than for the kids.

Some costumes are scary for young children, and if a performer is wearing a costume, it takes longer for the kids to warm up to this oddly dresses man or woman. In the wild, flamboyantly colored animals are often that way as a warning to other animals that they are dangerous, or looking for a mate. We are hard-wired to be wary of things at are different. If you saw a man walking down the street who's actual skin was snow white except for a real, big red nose and a HUGE smiling mouth, would you think "laugh" or "run"? There are so many ADULTS who are scared of clowns they have a name for it, Coulrophobia. If adults are scared, what do you think children think? Now I know you aren't thinking of a being a clown, but I am using an extreme as an example.

You are young, does a costume impress you, or does the performance? In my 25 years of experience, costumes are not that important - to the kids. I have used a variety of costumes, and I can't really say they added much to the show - and they often detracted from me connecting with the audience. Watching Captain Jack Sparrow on the screen is FAR different than having him in your living room or daycare.

Here is an example. My son was an EXTREME Sponge Bob fan. One day we went to a small circus. He had no problem posing with a 12 foot snake, but was terrified by the man in the life-size Sponge Bob costume (up close).

Costumes can be like masks, and allow people to become what they are not, and gives them license to do things they would not regularly do. It is best to be able to do things w/o a mask or costume. I'm sure some formal wear is more than adequate for now. Slacks (not jeans) and a button down shirt should do just fine for now.
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
KC-

You said that very well, and I completely agree with you!

Unless your character is something specific, like a pirate, or medicine man / woman, or something of that nature, then I believe costumes are actually tacky.

When choosing appropriate attire, you should select articles of clothing that fit your personality as well as your body type. The most important thing is that you are well groomed in whatever you choose.

I have seen traditional magicians wear tuxedos that were very becoming to them, and others that looked like total slobs in a tux.

Through the years, we have tried various attire ourselves, and we ended up settling on dark blue or black jeans, and button down shirts with our company logo embroidered on them. We have performed in schools, churches, synagogues, fortune 500 companies and theaters, and this attire has worked well for us, and we have received many compliments about our "Professional Attire".

I know there are many old school folks on here that will have issues with jeans, and that is fine if it is their preference to avoid them. As I said above, it all depends how you wear whatever you choose that matters.

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Recommended (by me) areas for teen magicians to work are children's parties and family restaurants. In doing close-up at family restaurants you develop etiquette and social skills as well as developing your technique and showmanship in a friendly setting.

A sixteen year-old doing close-up will have difficulty with credibility at a corporate function, yet at a table with children and adults that pressure does not exist. The children will be delighted to see some magic and the parents will be delighted that someone is amusing their children.

At children's parties you learn control of an audience, blocking and keeping attention.

And best of all you discover that all those knuckle-busting moves that brings gasps of awe from your peers mean nothing to the people who will pay you.

P.S. I know a number of close-up magicians in Ireland who do extremely well financially. They are not hobbyists.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jake, if you want a costume for magic, I would suggest only a cape and a top hat.

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 8:39am
Magic name logo:

MaJic
...a
...e

(exclude the periods)
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Jake - I believe by far the most important thing you should do is put together a UNIQUE and ENTERTAINING show. Do not listen to others on how you need to proceed in order to have a show worth money. Your circumstances will be unique for you. For some it will take years, some a year or two, and others will never be able to do it. A qualified mentor will help you more than anything to move quickly and appropriately. If you have a UNIQUE and ENTERTAINING show, you do not have to be perfect. You do have to be very good, but listening to a bunch of people (who may or may not be qualified to coach you) tell you everything you did "wrong" will just set you back. Do not listen to others with respect to whether or not to wear a costume - that will depend entirely on the act you envision. Disney On Ice relies heavily on costuming, other performances for kids do not, so it really depends on YOUR show. KC does share some things to consider though. Do not get a costume just for the sake of doing so, and know that what you choose now may change. Do not listen to others (except for a trusted mentor)on when or what to charge for your shows as this too will be somewhat unique for you. Do learn the market and what others charge as this is important, but to follow a preset plan from someone you do not know (that has not seen your act) seems a bit foolish to me. Imagine if Justin Bieper followed this type of advice. Do not feel as though you need to appologize for wanting to perform for money. Most people do jobs that they would otherwise not do for free, so if performing is what you choose to do to earn money - that is great. Do realize that performing for money is different than performing for free (as KC pointed out).
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Quote:
On 2012-06-16 08:32, Dynamike wrote:
Jake, if you want a costume for magic, I would suggest only a cape and a top hat.

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 8:39am
Magic name logo:

MaJic
...a
...e

(exclude the periods)

I like it!!!
Titan Magic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Titan Magic
Remember less is more so buy tricks make them go as far you can before adding more and more
I'm spoiled because I own a magic shop and I have to remember that also.
but he best trick is the one you love doing. I love most tricks that pack flat and plays big like
run rabbit run, color changing cd' and so on
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Thanks titan!
I am doing a sHow for my little sister in 3 weeks,
I am doing 6 tricks in 35 minutes.
I could do more tricks and allow 3 minutes a trick, bit instead I chose to to less tricks and 5-6 minutes a trick
"less is more"
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Kids love the Magic Drawing Board by Axtell
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Charlie,

Quote:
Do not listen to others with respect to whether or not to wear a costume - that will depend entirely on the act you envision. Disney On Ice relies heavily on costuming, other performances for kids do not, so it really depends on YOUR show.

*L* I don't think he is Disney on ice! Disney on ice has costumes so KNOWN characters are recognized. They also need to be recognized from a distance.

~~~~~~

Jake,

As a young teen solo act, until you get recognition, a costume will make you look like a young child pretending he is Superman or Batman. Period. I doubt this is the effect you desire. I get stares when I go into a store in my rather limited pirate costume - until they realize what/who I am.

KC
Majake314
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
245 Posts

Profile of Majake314
Smero, They look very funny, however they are way over my budget.

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 6:42pm
I pm'd you KC
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Quote:
On 2012-03-29 11:57, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 21:33, Bob1Dog wrote:
That's why the dove pan is such an important effect. I get eight to ten minutes out of mine.

Actually a dove pan has nothing to do with it. Given enough performances, a notebook full of ideas you came up with yourself, the ability to engage with an audience, you can get 8 to 10 minutes out of a silk/tt, an egg bag, a rope, a hat, a paperclip, a rock... some can even get 8 to 10 with nothing.

However, if you meant .."the dove pan is such an important effect for me", then I agree.

No one wants to pay good money to see 10 minutes of cheap magic props. That's a rip off.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about Chory.
You also completely missed the point of the OP and my follow-up reply.
Besides, we weren't speaking about ONLY using small props/no props, in the first place.

I've had very large audiences burst out laughing with just a rubberband as a prop, or a few beans.
I worked hard to be able to entertain with basically nothing. These are things we've talked about in previous threads... the importance of being entertaining wihtout requiring the props to be funny/entertaining for us.

Don't get me wrong, I still use things like an eggbag, a rope, a deck of cards, the cups and balls, rings, etc. But wow is it great to add texture to a show by doing bits and tricks with little things too, like some hat juggling, for instance (not even a trick).

What I don't use are "kiddy props". Why?
1. Because they don't suit my character.
2. I don't get satisfaction from them.
3. My show would be worse if I used them for the reasons above (1 and 2).

Perhaps you enjoy them, perhaps they suit your character, perhaps you're just not that funny and you need a crutch to
keep your audience focused and you know you can't do it without some colorful prop. That's ok too.

In conclusion:
I know what you're saying.
I know why you're saying what you're saying.
I know some agree with you.
But what you're saying reeks of inexperience, ignorance and shallow thinking in more ways than I have the time to enumerate, because...

I have to leave now to do a show for 200 people using (among other things) a rubberband.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 18:36, KC Cameron wrote:
Charlie,

Quote:
Do not listen to others with respect to whether or not to wear a costume - that will depend entirely on the act you envision. Disney On Ice relies heavily on costuming, other performances for kids do not, so it really depends on YOUR show.

*L* I don't think he is Disney on ice! Disney on ice has costumes so KNOWN characters are recognized. They also need to be recognized from a distance.

~~~~~~

Jake,

As a young teen solo act, until you get recognition, a costume will make you look like a young child pretending he is Superman or Batman. Period. I doubt this is the effect you desire. I get stares when I go into a store in my rather limited pirate costume - until they realize what/who I am.

KC

Well. seeing as we are going back to prior posts, I may as well respond to this post from several months ago:
I think you will only look like a young child pretending to be Superman or Batman if you have a weak personality and are easily intimidated. If your costume fits your act and you have a strong act, you will have the confidence to address or ignore others who speak in ignorance. I also beleive my costuming made it much easier to present my act to potential customers at a young age, than if I tried to sell my show dressed as a typical teenager.
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Wow a rubber band, how magicial. A fart requires few props as well, are you going to use that one too to pay your bills and justify yourself?
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Hmmmm.... Mr Methane has made a career with nothing more than a bad superhero outfit and the ability to fart... really, he's hilarious!
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Must have childrens show tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL