The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » The Nice Sweet Guy Who Likes To Help Out Pitchmen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
I received a disturbing phone call last night from pitchman Don Driver. It was about the pitch that was going to take place this spring in the city. It was for Alex @ Vante Toys pitching the 3 shell game. I was up for the challenge to make some money. But had several talks with my wife and people in magic community about it. Because years ago and even more recently people associated the shell game and 3 card monty with trying to swindle people out of their money. Especialy in the streets of NYC. Now I'm NOT saying that Alex or his company in anyway is trying to swindle people out of their money. I had met and contacted Alex through emails and he was fine to talk with and had no problems with him. But when I tried to express that it was an image thing and felt it better I not do it. Well that is when Don CHANGED his happy go lucky, lets all make some money attitude to a VERY LOUD OBNOXIOUS HOSTILE VENDICTIVE PERSON. I WAS TOLD TO GO f*&k MYSELF, HOPE YOU DROP DEAD, I'M A F&*$ING ***, HOPE I HAVE AN ANGEL ON MY SHOULDER SO IS I don't ROT IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Then was hung up on while trying to expres my reasoning. So I called back to ask why such hostility. was told much the same and we ended it there.
I would have never spoken to anyone the way he spoke to me. He sounded like a red neck dirlick. He has helped me out a few times and been very appreciative of him. And have tried to defend him to people who didn't like him saying he's a good guy. WELL I GEUSS I WAS WRONG. HE IS NICE AS PIE AS LONG AS YOUR DOING WHAT HE WANTS OR PRAISING HIS ALMIGHTY PRESENCE!!! I CANT BELEIVE IT AT ALL. JUST HAD TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THIS. ITS NOT RIGHT!
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I did get upset and acted a bit too rash but didn't say to drop dead and rot in *hell* but did say "go F yourself.I got mad when you said "I don't want my good name associated with the 3 shell game" How stupid...we're selling a magic trick in a reputable national store chain.This has NOTHING to do with sacmming people or a con game on the streets of New York City...PERIOD! You telling me that was very rude and unrespectful and I went off.

Than you called back and said you got closed down for "selling" the 3 shell game at a flea market by the police.I don't know what kind of pitch you were doing but if all you were doing was SELLING the 3 shell game and got closed down by the police you could have sued the city for shutting down a legitimate bussiness.

I want to apologize for what I said and getting so mad at you.But I still think you were wrong in how you said it,but I was also wrong for getting so mad.I hope we can let this go and still be friends...

Don
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The shell game is a synonym for fraud and has been for over a century. I can't think of a worst pitch item.
Could he have been pitching C&B's ?
I've had trouble from TCs to dizzummm to to know the difference several times.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
If they can script a pitch for the 3 shell game, I say go for it. It is no different than the many 3 card monte variations (dutch looper, etc) that are pitched or used as kickers.

LeoH
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Chefmagic, I have had a similar situation with a member of this board but it was totally unrelated to magic or pitching.

I applaud Don for both addressing the situation head on,admitting he made a mistake and wanting to let bygones be bygones and to continue on as friends.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
In the past I have actually pitched three shell games. I did very well with them and they do sell if you have the right pitch. One disadvantage is that there is no chance in hell that a kid is going to be able to do it and even an adult will have trouble even with good instructions. You are going to get people coming back saying they can't do it and that can be an irritation. They certainly sell though.
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Doesn't surprise me.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
It doesn't surprise me either but I can understand why it happens. You have to be a pitchman for years on end to fully comprehend it. It is a very difficult thing to explain to regular people. The clue is that it is a very hard life and can make you very jaded. People react in different ways because of this and many pitchmen (but not all) can get very testy because irritation becomes a lifetime habit. It is very hard to explain to people who have never done this kind of work but the grind can wear you down when you do it day after day after day after year after year after year. And in some people this stress can manifest itself in different ways.

Some get angry, some get irritable, some get cynical and some just go plain mad. A few get rich. I would advise getting to the latter situation and then give up pitching as soon as possible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » The Nice Sweet Guy Who Likes To Help Out Pitchmen (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL