The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you think is missing from Mentalism? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I'd say tape your own show and see what is lacking. I always do a little mental work in each show as it put wonder into the audience's mind......and you know they are just trying to figure you out. I'd like to do a complete mentalism show to see how it goes someday, but I realize you must really be an intriging person to keep them interested. Lots of good thoughts on this topic. Guess my thoughts don't help much as I'm not a full time mentalist, but I sure do like to work it in when I have the right situation. So much out there to study, especially in the older books.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
One of those forums that you are looking for can be found in Bob's workshop. It sorts out "the men from the boys" & offers some invaluable advice that comes from a man who has thousands of shows behind him!

Robbie.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Women are missing in mentalism. Women either tend to be the other half of a double act picking up codes OR they're borderline / full shut-eyes contacting spirits and such like.

Would be nice to see a convincing female mentalist who stands alone on her own skill, ability and presence. intuition is strong with the ladies, be nice to see one use it as a performance vehicle!

(No disrespect to any of the female mentalists on here, just think it would be more interesting and varied if there were more of you!)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 16:14, bevbevvybev wrote:
Women are missing in mentalism. Women either tend to be the other half of a double act picking up codes OR they're borderline / full shut-eyes contacting spirits and such like.

Would be nice to see a convincing female mentalist who stands alone on her own skill, ability and presence. intuition is strong with the ladies, be nice to see one use it as a performance vehicle!

(No disrespect to any of the female mentalists on here, just think it would be more interesting and varied if there were more of you!)

I definitely agree. I think women could do quite well for a number of reasons, mostly because mentalist appeals to women most. Plus women have made very good readers, and audiences, men and women are often more comfortable and not threatened by women.

I think much of the problem with women becoming interested in mentalism, is unfortunately most who pursue mentalism come from magic, and magic, like the Three Stooges is not of great appeal to many women.(I know some women like magic, and yes, I know your wife is probably your biggest fan. I know this may not be a popular opinion, yet one I believe as true.)

With that said, soon a female mentalist will hit Vegas and become quite popular. Time will tell.
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Monkeys. Monkeys are missing but monkeys make everything better. And bourbon. Monkeys and bourbon.

And yeah, someone said it, flash. We don't have a lot of it in what we do. We talk a lot but don't have a lot of "Ooh Shiny!" for the easily distracted. How many times have we watched a mentalist in his black turtleneck and black suit against a black curtain... an hour of a floating head. Here's an incident that I never got back to and am now thinking I should have. I did a show a little while back and the venue wanted to project it on two screens. I didn't understand why; it was a small theatre and an even smaller stage. I could see the faces of the people in the back row. I was also tripping over their cameraman during tech. Finally, we reached an agreement on what he should come in close to focus on, the stuff that the audience really needed to SEE, and to stay out of my way the rest of the time (I believe in using the stage). He asked what he should focus on the rest of the time and I told him to film the audience.

My God, I wish I had that tape now. He was pretty on the ball and caught some amazing reactions. For a few minutes I wondered if it was cool to shift some of the focus to them but their own reactions sold that show. They saw it was OK to laugh, to gasp, to melt in astonishment. I bet that tape of the house would sell me more gigs than any tape of me. I think this comes under "Give them something to look at" and should really look into trying to do that again.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
What is missing are mentalism shops.

granterg
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 17:37, granterg wrote:
What is missing are mentalism shops.

granterg

Here's one: http://www.taylorimagineering.com Smile

CT
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Rymans, staples and paperchase!
I've asked to be banned
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
These days, I think that "Mind Readers" are missing from mentalism. Smile
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 17:11, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Monkeys. Monkeys are missing but monkeys make everything better. And bourbon. Monkeys and bourbon.

And yeah, someone said it, flash. We don't have a lot of it in what we do. We talk a lot but don't have a lot of "Ooh Shiny!" for the easily distracted. How many times have we watched a mentalist in his black turtleneck and black suit against a black curtain... an hour of a floating head. Here's an incident that I never got back to and am now thinking I should have. I did a show a little while back and the venue wanted to project it on two screens. I didn't understand why; it was a small theatre and an even smaller stage. I could see the faces of the people in the back row. I was also tripping over their cameraman during tech. Finally, we reached an agreement on what he should come in close to focus on, the stuff that the audience really needed to SEE, and to stay out of my way the rest of the time (I believe in using the stage). He asked what he should focus on the rest of the time and I told him to film the audience.

My God, I wish I had that tape now. He was pretty on the ball and caught some amazing reactions. For a few minutes I wondered if it was cool to shift some of the focus to them but their own reactions sold that show. They saw it was OK to laugh, to gasp, to melt in astonishment. I bet that tape of the house would sell me more gigs than any tape of me. I think this comes under "Give them something to look at" and should really look into trying to do that again.

This post made me laugh so hard, I spilled my Bourbon.
n8magic
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of n8magic
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 08:48, mastermindreader wrote:
...never get around to learning the basic skills of an entertainer.

Any suggestions on where to learn those skills? I picked up a copy of The Dramatic Writers Companion by Will Dunne which I have found brilliant for information on character creation, and for the big sweeping themes in creating compelling theater, but I find that 2/3 of the book focuses on the interaction between scripted characters---something that doesn't quite work with a 1 man act :/
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 17:53, IAIN wrote:
Rymans, staples and paperchase!

Ain't that the truth!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 08:48, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 08:06, SamNJ wrote:
In presentation, mentalism all too often fails to be ENTERTAINING.

No. It is not mentalism that fails to be entertaining. It's so called "mentalists" who are guilty of that. Although the same problem exists in magic in general. Sturgeon's Law applies. (Emphasis supplied by Turk-Mike Sturgeon)

But in mentalism, there is not much to look at other than the performer. And far too many would-be mentalists buy and learn every trick and routine they can find, but never get around to learning the basic skills of an entertainer.

I wrote a law? Go figure.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Smile

That was Theodore Sturgeon, Mike.
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Quote:
On 2012-03-28 16:14, bevbevvybev wrote:

Totally agree!!!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mentalist kid performers are missing.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There was a kid (boy) mentalist making the rounds on t.v. shows here in the U.S. a couple of years ago, and I must say, he was more entertaining and believable than many adult mentalists I've seen.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are not talking about me are you?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, this was a cute kid.

Posted: Apr 1, 2012 4:18pm
April Fools!

This kid was 9 or 10 I believe.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What do you think is missing from Mentalism? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL