The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Those wonderful Supremes (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
The main problem with polygamy is simply this- men are capable of siring far more children than they could possibly support. Who pays the child support when the guy walks out on twelve wives, each of whom have three or more children?

A pretty weak reason for polygamy to be illegal in this day. If anyone can now marry anyone, why restrict it to one on one. Of course, a solution would be to restrict polygamy to the rich 1%, or in the alternative only to men over the age of 65, as they would be unlikely to keep up the pace, so to speak. Yeah, I like that...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
The main problem with polygamy is simply this- men are capable of siring far more children than they could possibly support. Who pays the child support when the guy walks out on twelve wives, each of whom have three or more children?

A pretty weak reason for polygamy to be illegal in this day. If anyone can now marry anyone, why restrict it to one on one. Of course, a solution would be to restrict polygamy to the rich 1%, or in the alternative only to men over the age of 65, as they would be unlikely to keep up the pace, so to speak. Yeah, I like that...

I suspect that polygamy will be legal, perhaps even in our lifetimes. The law will require some serious thought to straighten out property rights, not to mention child custody.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Absolutely, property rights and custody will be major issues. In my earlier post I was simply pointing out another reason why polygamy isn't a very good idea financially.

But I agree that constitutionally there really wouldn't be a problem with it.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Darth_Prime wrote:
People can talk about the Bible all they want, you can't make laws based on religion because not everyone believes the same. your religion is your choice and your right, but it can't infringe upon other peoples rights or Protections.

this Marriage Equality is one step forward, but we have many left, the workplace discrimination act needs to be passed, I can get fired just for being gay, also in some states I can get denied services. also important Adoption, blood donation.. equal protections are a Must

I do not believe that being gay should be a reason to be fired, that's just plain ridiculous. Do people think that gays have no talent, no brains and are not productive? If the best person to hire for a needed position was gay, I would hope they sign the offer letter.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Destiny wrote:
?

As far as private business goes, at least, thank goodness, gay male sex workers have not started refusing to provide services to anti-gay activists. Smile

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-anti-g......y/joanne

Good point!

THAT has to be one of the funniest but true statements I've heard all year!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
People can talk about the Bible all they want, you can't make laws based on religion because not everyone believes the same. your religion is your choice and your right, but it can't infringe upon other peoples rights or Protections.

this Marriage Equality is one step forward, but we have many left, the workplace discrimination act needs to be passed, I can get fired just for being gay, also in some states I can get denied services. also important Adoption, blood donation.. equal protections are a Must

I do not believe that being gay should be a reason to be fired, that's just plain ridiculous. Do people think that gays have no talent, no brains and are not productive? If the best person to hire for a needed position was gay, I would hope they sign the offer letter.
Ridiculous, yes, but true. There are still a few states that don't include sexual orientation in their discrimination laws, so a person who's gay can be fired for that, with no legal recourse.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Quote:
Quote:

There are states that allow discrimination, where yes I could get fired just for being Gay, and I can get denied services just for being Gay, on top of the other issues, adoption, blood donation, property.. and the list continues.. yes the GLBTQ community is still getting discriminated against, on top of the huge statistics of GLBTQ deaths at the hands of people
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are states that allow discrimination, where yes I could get fired just for being Gay, and I can get denied services just for being Gay, on top of the other issues, adoption, blood donation, property.. and the list continues.. yes the GLBTQ community is still getting discriminated against, on top of the huge statistics of GLBTQ deaths at the hands of people

I agree with everything except the uncomfortable topic of blood donation, maybe because of being old enough to have been round for the start of AIDS.

People who were sick or injured died because of infected donated blood.

Of course the donors had no idea their blood was a problem - we forget now what a huge and frightening mystery HIV AIDS was in those early years - it took a couple of years before we even knew it was primarily contracted through unprotected anal intercourse.

In western countries AIDS mainly affected gay men and drug users so those groups were banned from donating blood NOT to discriminate against them, but to protect the sick and injured people who received the blood. The ban wasn't AGAINST anyone - it was FOR the vulnerable. I think that intent makes a huge difference and the context is important.

And don't forget they never banned gay men or drug users from receiving the blood - the blood went to whoever needed it, regardless of sexual orientation.

I haven't taken much interest in this over the years so I don't know if perhaps with medical advances it is now safer to have the most at risk groups of HIV now donate blood, but I do know the original intent had nothing to do with discrimination.
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with everything except the uncomfortable topic of blood donation, maybe because of being old enough to have been round for the start of AIDS.

People who were sick or injured died because of infected donated blood.

Of course the donors had no idea their blood was a problem - we forget now what a huge and frightening mystery HIV AIDS was in those early years - it took a couple of years before we even knew it was primarily contracted through unprotected anal intercourse.

In western countries AIDS mainly affected gay men and drug users so those groups were banned from donating blood NOT to discriminate against them, but to protect the sick and injured people who received the blood. The ban wasn't AGAINST anyone - it was FOR the vulnerable. I think that intent makes a huge difference and the context is important.

And don't forget they never banned gay men or drug users from receiving the blood - the blood went to whoever needed it, regardless of sexual orientation.

I haven't taken much interest in this over the years so I don't know if perhaps with medical advances it is now safer to have the most at risk groups of HIV now donate blood, but I do know the original intent had nothing to do with discrimination.

Do they let Straight people with AIDS give blood? no you have to get tested first, not all Gay people have AIDS, now they are saying Gay men can give blood if they are celibate for at least a year.. so it's not really about AIDS
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not anymore it isn't, Darth. But back in the days Destiny is talking about it was definitely about AIDS.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
As a long time blood donor and volunteer at blood drives I remember when AIDS came onto the scene. It wasn't only gays, but anyone at risk: sex workers, drugs users who used needles, and thise who travelled to high risk areas such as certain regions of Africa. What was scarier was that people who thought they might have AIDS were donating blood as a way if getting tested. For awhile there were all sorts of protocols on place trying to keep AIDS out of the bills supply; regardless of the source.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
This article, ("Captive virgins, polygamy and sex slaves: What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible") on how human sexual behavior and marriage is depicted in the Christian Bible may provide some food for thought and fodder for discussion: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/captive-......e-bible/
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please name the state where you can be fired for being gay. Same for denied services. Also please quote those HUGE statistics.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Is there any state where a private business CAN'T fire you or refuse service to you for being gay?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, The Hermit wrote:

Please name the state where you can be fired for being gay.

Here you are:

http://mic.com/articles/121496/one-map-s......-in-2015
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2015, Destiny wrote:a government employee is paid to provide the same service to everyone and he or she is paid by everyone.

If they are going to accept that job, employed by every citizen, and paid by every tax payer it is a nonsense to suggest they have a religious exemption against providing services -

I don't think individual government employees can make that decision, but we CAN have laws that restrict things. For example, we can force someone who believes in faith healing, or some bizarre ritualistic medical procedure, to care for their child in a way we deem to be appropriate. If someone's religion says that a child should experience "rebirthing" and they wrap a child in a blanket and smother them while beating them, we might step in, even though that is a religious choice and belief.

The so-called separation of church and state was a personal opinion of Jefferson and not U.S. government policy, although we now treat it as such.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
I can get fired just for being gay

I don't believe that's true. Just because something is not explicitly stated does not necessarily mean it is legal. Are you making an assumption, or is this routinely happening? How many cases of this happening in recent years can you cite?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
I can get fired just for being gay

I don't believe that's true.

And I don't believe that lunatic wrote it; I believe that you misattributed that quote.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2015, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2015, lunatik wrote:
I do like "in God we trust" on our currency, it was a great idea. I do like our Presidents putting their hand on a Bible while taking office.

Do you know that newly sworn in Congressmen used to be given a copy of the Jefferson Bible?

What do you think about that, lunatik? (Look up "Jefferson Bible" if you don't understand what it is.)

What do you think of John Adams official statement as President that the United States is NOT, and has never been, a Christian nation? (Look up The Treaty of Tripoli if you want to see his exact words.)

What do you think about the fact that many of our founders were Freemasons and Deists, including George Washington who never rose for prayer in church and who would always leave before communion? (Turns out Martha was the religious one in the family.)

What do you think of Thomas Jefferson's proclamation that there should be an "absolute wall" between church and state?

And, finally, what do you think of the fact that freedom of religion also includes freedom FROM it?

What do you think about the founding fathers that were of the Christian faith?
What do you think of the rest of the presidents using a Holy Bible?
What do you think of our founding fathers not taking up, defending, purporting, championing gay marriage? I bet they were of VERY similar opinion to mine.

Soooo, would you be for or against polygamy? Which position will you champion?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Those wonderful Supremes (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL