The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need ideas for "Corp America" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
How many effects would be good for 30 minutes and what type of effects is good for corporate america? This will be a first event for me for this arena. Thanks in advance.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Let the avalanche begin!
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I think the "how many effects" question is answerable by looking at the presentation for each effect. With thirty minutes and a good story/plot you could do 4 or 5 effects rather easily. I'm a fan of less is more though. I guess you could do thirty effects in half an hour... but eh. I would say four or five would be a good number. An opener, three effects in the middle, and a kickass closer.

As far as what type of effects, that is pretty open and people are going to disagree. I won't list effects, but my suggestion is to keep them congruent. If you're an expert body language reader, it makes no sense to include metal bending.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What's your level or experience or proficiency?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Less than 30 I would suggest.

Answer mindpros question.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Actually my current Speed Mentalism act takes a page from the great Rolf Hansen's closup act. He could perform 40 complete tricks in under 10 minutes. I'm working on beating his record.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 15:16, AttnPls wrote:
Actually my current Speed Mentalism act takes a page from the great Rolf Hansen's closup act. He could perform 40 complete tricks in under 10 minutes. I'm working on beating his record.

Why?
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I believe in giving audiences a great deal of value for their money.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I should stop. I realize that it is now the second of April.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
1 or 300. Neither one is the RIGHT answer. You COULD do 1 effect in 30 minutes and entertain the #$&^! out of the audience.

Or you could do 300 and bore them to tears...

Make it about YOU! You are the attraction, not the effects.

J
xxx
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Jay is absolutely right.

but the other answer is 4.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 19:55, Eric Samuels wrote:
Let the avalanche begin!

Niagara !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-04-01 19:23, Lbuford wrote:
How many effects would be good for 30 minutes and what type of effects is good for corporate america? This will be a first event for me for this arena. Thanks in advance.

The way you've worded your post gives the impression that you have already been hired to do a corporate event? Is that the case? If so, why did you accept the booking if you have no idea what to do?

Also- "Corporate America" is not a generic audience type. Corporate audiences are as varied as those you will find anywhere in the entertainment world. Are you working a trade show, a banquet, or perhaps doing a keynote speech? All very different atmospheres. Is the corporation a Silicon Valley dot com outfit or a century old Fortune 500 company? Totally different audience demographic.

Not knowing these things, or your background and experience as a mentalist, makes it impossible to give an intelligent answer to your question. There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" form of mentalism (or any other type of entertainment for that matter).
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 18:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

The way you've worded your post gives the impression that you have already been hired to do a corporate event? Is that the case? If so, why did you accept the booking if you have no idea what to do?

It's for the law firm where I work. We are going to have a luncheon and thought I would do about 3-4 effects. They usually just play really stupid games. So this could be a new treat to share.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Ok then... assuming that your question wasn't just an April Fools joke, my real answer is also probably 3 or 4.

This is the way that I would approach a set like this:

1. The first should be a great introduction to you and your abilities. It should put your audience at ease and get them thinking, "This guy isn't just Jerry from Accounting, this guy really can entertain us!"

2. You may want to do a second routine that involves several people from the audience.

3. If you have time, you may want to do a third rountine that provide a different tone or different ability. This should be a counterpoint to what people have seen so far. This provides a little mental break for the audience before you hit them with the finale.

4. The last routine should be upbeat and represent the spirit in which you want to leave them. This is the last impression and most likely how you be remembered by the audience. Go out big.

Just some thoughts to consider.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
No problem. Lawyers are easy to work for. Just do the same act that you would do for the general public.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 18:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

... why did you accept the booking if you have no idea what to do?

Bro. Bob,

When I saw this question you posed, I immediately thought of my own situation. It's not uncommon for me after getting a booking to scrutinize my show and see if there is anything I would want to tweak. I generally will call my mentor, Leland Pennington, and discuss the venue, setting, audience, etc. and try to determine if I want to try something I have been working on or replace something that might not be getting the kind of reaction I had been expecting. Typically, that kind of discussion is a private one, but I have come to this forum and sought advice from the collective wisdom that is The Magic Café.

When I added your Fourth Dimensional Telepathy, I had to pull out an effect I really like. It's fun, gets a good reaction, but nothing like your 4DT. I dropped the other effect, but I try to add where I can, and it is generally in those shows where 4DT might not be a good fit. (I still perform magic shows and mixed shows.)

Always appreciate your insights and thanks for your help.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
To answer the original question, I would perform three or five.

If three, the first would be something that engages the whole crowd in some way; the second would involve a helper; the third would be my blockbuster.

If five, then follow the vaudeville show outline in Tarbell.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
See, people go around and around, and then they agree with me. 4.

Next!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need ideas for "Corp America" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL