The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri gellar: in confidence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 18:12, kinesis wrote:
I agree, it's less harmful.
However, does it give false hope?

I don't think in general it gives false hope. Most people regard energised crystals the same way as they regard burning incense.
I know there are exceptions. One doctor over here had a practice offering photo-luminescence therapy for cancer patients. Basically he shone coloured lights on them, and watched them die. He has been struck off (many of us believe he should have been drowned). If Uri Geller claimed that the crystals offered healing, then he would be conning people and behaving unethically. If he did not make the healing claim, he was just selling crystals, like any new age shop. That's my view anyway.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Uri and I have been friends for over 20 years. In fact we have worked together in the USA and Australia a few times. Great guy and I'm proud to call him my friend.
Here's the feature magazine interview I did for his ENCOUNTER'S magazine years ago.
http://www.rileyg.com/press/ug-01-97.htm

Here's a pix of us at dinner in NYC years ago. Taken on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Click here to view attached image.
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2038 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 19:11, TonyB2009 wrote:
If Uri Geller claimed that the crystals offered healing, then he would be conning people and behaving unethically. If he did not make the healing claim, he was just selling crystals, like any new age shop. That's my view anyway.

Here's a quote apparently from an article, but posted on (what I'm pretty sure is) Geller's official site: http://www.uri-geller.com/crystal.htm

Quote:
Uri's book proclaims the healing power of your crystal: "It's a good allrounder suitable for healing all kinds of ailments. You can carry it in your pocket on days when you don't feel well you can wear it all the time to boost your energy levels and ward off infections, or you can hold it in your hand and concentrate on it whenever you feel ill or lacking in energy."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Uri Geller single handedly began a new era in mentalism. Because of his influence an entirely new approach to our art was born.

Two people inspired my own career- Joseph Dunninger and Uri Geller.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
I wouldn't condemn Uri over the crystals. Even if you don't believe they heal people you cannot deny the power of the placebo effect. The power of the mind is an incredible thing. Providing he does not advise substituting it for a medical professional and I have seen no evidence that he does, then the BELIEF that the crystal can only be beneficial. Come to think of it, for all we know, maybe the crystals DO cure people in ways we don't understand.

As for mediums supposedly contacting the dead I think this is a bit more problematical. I have never been overly keen on mediumship despite my very elastic conscience. Corinda stated that he felt it was not the "highest level" and I believe he was referring to the ethics of it. However, Bill-Hilly does make a very interesting point that is worth thinking about.

Many, many years ago I used to meet a bunch of friends every Saturday morning in a city that Tony is familiar with. I was not even in the psychic business at that time. One of the men related an incident. It seems that a friend of his had been near suicide since his wife had passed away. He was going out of his mind and none of his friends could help him. His doctor was of no assistance and neither was any grief counsellor. Most people who lose a loved one manage to deal with it somehow and time heals to a degree. But not with this guy. Years had passed and he had not found peace. He could not eat or sleep and he had given up his job in grief and was financially burdened by this action. He often talked about suicide so he could be together with his loved one. And his friends were very worried that he might carry out the thread in his vulnerable state.

Then one day someone suggested he see a spiritualist medium for a private session. He met a sweet grandmotherly type who seemed very sympathetic and had a heart of gold. She charged him a very modest fee and proceed to do her work. She convinced him in the usual manner that she had indeed contacted his dear wife and conveyed a message from the lady saying that she was perfectly happy where she was and that the spirit world was a wonderful place. The only thing that stressed her out in the spirit world was knowing that her earthly husband was in such an unhappy state. She gave encouragement and demanded a promise from the gentleman that under no circumstances would he try to join her in the spirit world because there was still plenty of things to do on earth and that it would distress greatly the people on the earthly plane who loved him.

After the session was over he began to get his life back together again. Within a few weeks he was happy and in a better frame of mind. He found another job and got himself out of financial distress. He resumed eating again and slept like a log. He was healed from his grief.

I asked the guy who told the story if he remembered the name of the medium and he did. The name meant nothing to me at the time. It was just some older lady who worked the spiritualist church circuit and did private sessions for very little money eking out a so-so living.

But all that changed a few years later when she became a household name in Britain. And of course I recognised her name immediately. It was Doris Stokes.

Of course she was an old fraud but seemed to have a good and kind heart. So do I condemn her? Somehow I can't find it in my heart to do so. I am not a fan of fraudulent mediums but I shall on this one occasion play devil's advocate. This incident has always stuck in my mind. In other cases she may well have given false hope and there are always arguments about interfering with the grieving process. But on this one occasion she may well have saved this man's life.

Worth thinking about.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
As an aside... I love the photo at the start of this post... for 2 reasons. Its a great shot of Luca and Uri together...

The other, is that... despite having the power to start broken watches through your t.v... It looks like those powers don't extend to car batteries. Smile

Bit of trouble with the ole 76 Caddy eh?
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
BTW... anyone have a link to the show yet for us plebs down under?
snm
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of snm
Would love a link to watch this as well!
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
Uri geller is not giving people hope.

He is SELLING hope.

There's a big difference.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
Well, Doctors get paid too and they charge a hell of a lot more money.
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Luca, great photo! It must have been inspiring to meet the world's greatest magician.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2707 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 09:14, visionquest wrote:

...the difference between science and fiction.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Uri has changed his agenda a few years ago and now claims he is only an entertainer (mystifier or whatever he calls himself now). He did it of course to adapt (as he stopped years ago from telling his aliens stories). I think it's a welcome change but he still needs to apologize to all the people he gave false hope. There is a difference between selling crystals (which is just a plain fraud) and saying to a family he's going to rescue their kidnapped son. I wonder where the people on this forum who respect Geller draw the line. Do you even have a line at all? I really want to hear your opinion. Where do you draw the line, if at all?

Nimrod , Israel
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 10:51, nimrod wrote:
Uri has changed his agenda a few years ago and now claims he is only an entertainer (mystifier or whatever he calls himself now). He did it of course to adapt (as he stopped years ago from telling his aliens stories). I think it's a welcome change but he still needs to apologize to all the people he gave false hope. There is a difference between selling crystals (which is just a plain fraud) and saying to a family he's going to rescue their kidnapped son. I wonder where the people on this forum who respect Geller draw the line. Do you even have a line at all? I really want to hear your opinion. Where do you draw the line, if at all?

Nimrod , Israel

How is selling crystals fraud? If he believes, as many do, that they can have healing powers then the worst you can say is that he's mistaken in his belief. And you would have a hard time proving that too.

best,
Sean
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Everyone in this forum should thank Uri.

If you ever bent a spoon or fork you should thank him. None of that would have developed without him. You would all be doing Tenyo pocket tricks and calling it mentalism.

All skeptics should thank him. Uri's battles with Randi put Randi on the map. Randi did put a huge amount of work in to his own success. Another magician probably would not have made near the success from the opportunity as Randi. Still, without this rivalry he would not have been near as big, at least in the eyes of the general public.

You should always sell them the healing crystal, not give it to them, unless they have already paid you for a reading or something similar. When you do something free it has little value. There is nothing people like more than money...when they part with money you know they value what you do and they will more likely act on things and get results. Free...not so much.

Uri presents mentalism with cahones and flair. If someone ever links the interview I would be happy to watch it.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 10:48, kinesis wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 09:14, visionquest wrote:

...the difference between science and fiction.

... Might be less than we think. The placebo research shows a strong effect.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2707 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I must confess, I've met and chatted with Uri Geller and he comes across as a lovely genuine caring person. I don't dislike Geller. I do however disapprove of some of the things he has done in the past.
Did he influence me? Yes, not in my mentalism however. I have had many influencial people on my journey, geller wasn't one of them. He did however influence my beliefs and strengthen my skeptical outlook.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Nimrod has a good point...I believe the difference is as follows:

Entertainer and con-artist. The two are VERY different.

Agreed, Uri pushed/holted/pushed Science back a couple of years and wasted a lot of people's money in the process.

But, heck - we have learnt a lot from him.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I tried to check the TV guide but couldn't if this was repeated
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 11:02, mota wrote:
Everyone in this forum should thank Uri.

If you ever bent a spoon or fork you should thank him. None of that would have developed without him. You would all be doing Tenyo pocket tricks and calling it mentalism.

All skeptics should thank him. Uri's battles with Randi put Randi on the map. Randi did put a huge amount of work in to his own success. Another magician probably would not have made near the success from the opportunity as Randi. Still, without this rivalry he would not have been near as big, at least in the eyes of the general public.

You should always sell them the healing crystal, not give it to them, unless they have already paid you for a reading or something similar. When you do something free it has little value. There is nothing people like more than money...when they part with money you know they value what you do and they will more likely act on things and get results. Free...not so much.

Uri presents mentalism with cahones and flair. If someone ever links the interview I would be happy to watch it.

I thank Wagner for his music. I wouldn't shake hands with him unless someone put a gun to my head. I'm not saying this is the case with Uri, I just say you can thank someone for his contribution to your art and at the same time despise him for the person he is and his doings.
I still ask where you people draw the line?

Nimrod

p.s. By the way Uri doesn't believe in his crystals (and I know that for a fact). If he had he wouldn't be the genius he is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri gellar: in confidence (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL