The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri gellar: in confidence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 07:07, kinesis wrote:
Drew
Thank you for the updates on the Geller / Hostage thing.

Just to clarify a few things. I was unaware of the hostage thing until it was mentioned by someone else. I supplied a couple of links just for reference (there are very few to be found on the net - and it's a pain when you are surfing on an iPhone LOL) . I stated earlier I've met Uri and chatted to him at a book signing. I found him to be a very genuine and caring type of guy. Of course at any public event he's a showman, that's part of the business. As I said, I don't dislike him, more some of the things he's done in the past. But hey, none of us are perfect.

Strange, that we chatted about the seed germination thing last time we met a few weeks back. Although I've never seen it live, I know by the way you got so excited when you retold the event that this is something very special that Uri does. Uri really is a master mentalist and a very complex person with an incredible history.

Derek

I said it. But I didn't say he asked money for it (not in this case).
This is what the press got (not what Geller's site got): http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/ap......ges-uri/
As usual he tried to get publicity, asking people to enter his website, telling stories about how he did it many times (helping with such cases). This is classic Geller, trying to make something good out of something bad only thing the good is for himself.

He did got paid (this way or another) in the case of the kidnapped model.

And he did got paid by Zamex company for trying to find gold with his special powers.

You all choose to overlook the bad things he did because you admire him so much.

I admire him too (he is the greatest mentalist ever lived as I see it), but lets face it, Uri Geller did some bad things in his past. When he sees an opportunity for publicity, he grabs it. We all do it, but to a certain point when we stop and say to ourselves "this is not ok. this is too much". Geller doesn't.

Nimrod , Israel
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Nimrod -

The line for me is:

Consciously exploiting people who are grieving and preying on people's gullibility and distress.

Hope that makes sense. (beacuse then, I believe it is not about entertainment anymore.)
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 09:53, oralroberts wrote:
Nimrod -

The line for me is:

Consciously exploiting people who are grieving and preying on people's gullibility and distress.

Hope that makes sense. (beacuse then, I believe it is not about entertainment anymore.)

Agree.
And loved your clips. Especially that my nail gun routine got to number 1.. Smile

Nimrod

p.s. It was the 10th time or so he watched it performed. I wonder what got him out of his sit this time..
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 10:40, nimrod wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 09:53, oralroberts wrote:
Nimrod -

The line for me is:

Agree.
And loved your clips. Especially that my nail gun routine got to number 1.. Smile

Nimrod

p.s. It was the 10th time or so he watched it performed. I wonder what got him out of his sit this time..

Thanks! Yes, Fire at Will!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1044 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 16:27, nimrod wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 15:10, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
If you despise Uri, you must then despise priests and shamans.

If you cannot see why... Well...

I don't understand your logic. Please read again my posts.
Uri lies and he knows it. If a priest doesn't believe in his god/s and does what he does just for the money in it I'll despise him too. Most religious people believe in what they do and aren't intentionally lying. I don't have to agree with them but I don't consider them as charlatans.
If you are going to say "yes, but we also lie.." please read again my posts, but just in case you won't understand again: I would never say to someone I can find his kidnapped daughter and ask money for it. This is just wrong.
And if you still cannot see why... well..

Nimrod , Israel

as an aside, check out http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/unrep......28248421

Episode 14: Unreported World
Released28 October 2011

Nigeria's Millionaire Preachers. Miracles, expensive cars, exorcisms and bodyguards: religion is big business in Nigeria. Reporter Seyi Rhodes and director Matt Haan travel to Lagos to reveal the extraordinary world of the millionaire preachers.

This has the confrontation at the end with the preacher that DBs special was a bit lacking in.

Back on topic. was a great interview.

Gellar combines open body language, perfectly co-ordinated gesticulation, eye contact, voice tonality as well as a lack of blinking to totally mesmerise the spectator.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Akil
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Akil
I think what Mr. Geller does is encaptures the faith and mystery that pervades most people's oppinions on things like psychic phenomenon. Nothing more or less, just like an actor pretends to be someone he isn't for the sake of the camera. He is undoubtedly an agent of some peoples faith, and what he does I believe, is not unethical and justifiable.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 15:10, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
If you despise Uri, you must then despise priests and shamans.

If you cannot see why... Well...

Now that you mention it... Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 07:07, kinesis wrote:
Drew
Thank you for the updates on the Geller / Hostage thing.

Just to clarify a few things. I was unaware of the hostage thing until it was mentioned by someone else. I supplied a couple of links just for reference (there are very few to be found on the net - and it's a pain when you are surfing on an iPhone LOL) . I stated earlier I've met Uri and chatted to him at a book signing. I found him to be a very genuine and caring type of guy. Of course at any public event he's a showman, that's part of the business. As I said, I don't dislike him, more some of the things he's done in the past. But hey, none of us are perfect.

Strange, that we chatted about the seed germination thing last time we met a few weeks back. Although I've never seen it live, I know by the way you got so excited when you retold the event that this is something very special that Uri does. Uri really is a master mentalist and a very complex person with an incredible history.

Derek

He germinated a seed on "Exploring Psychic Powers-Live"...then Randi germinated a seed.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
The older I get, the harder time I have deciding where to draw the lines. I have become more likely to be annoyed with the person falling for the nonsense than annoyed with the person perpetrating it. This may also have something to do with an increasing realization that catagorizing something as nonsense carries much of my own opinion in making that evaluation.

It is interesting to me that if you think about what Randi says on certain other subjects that it makes it easier to accept Geller or else condemn an awfully large and varied group of people in many walks of life.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
I thought this was a pretty good answer to the likes of Randi and the unbelievers. Whoever wrote this is a pretty sharp operator.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-psychics-som......l?cat=34
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1594 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Mark, based on that theory, I reckon, there is only one thing for it. Put Browne, Edwards and a few others of their ilk in solitary confinement, for say, a month. Granted the first couple of weeks may prove stressful for them, so, let that time pass to allow them to "calm down" and enter a "dream like state". (Not much else to do I presume, than to sleep)

The deal is simple, they each get a number of readings to do, and, a set figure must be proven right, in order to get released. If they fail - they don't get out and remain "inside" for the crime of being fraudulent charlatan's who prey on the vulnerable for monetary gain.

The only incentive that I would offer to them to help them get in an even "better relaxed state" (therefore give a wholly accurate reading) is a bag of weed! If their predictions still don't come true, well, I'm afraid that they must stay inside for an indefinite period, and, it proves this theory wrong.

If they are right & their predictions come true, great, there might be something in this thinking, but, I would then get great pleasure in "writing them up" on the charge of possessing contraband - and extending their period of detention for ever more!! Smile

IMO - His theory in that report made about as much sense, as do my ramblings above!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
maxpax
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
120 Posts

Profile of maxpax
Quote:
On 2012-04-10 12:35, visionquest wrote:
I thought this was a pretty good answer to the likes of Randi and the unbelievers. Whoever wrote this is a pretty sharp operator.
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-psychics-som......l?cat=34

Don't mean any disrespect to anyone.

It was a well thought out post. The thing I found most interesting was that the writer didn't seem to claim any psychic ability, but that is not 100% clear from just reading the text. If they are not one wonders how they would get a hold of this wealth of information about how a sixth sense works. But for all I know the writer might be spot on.

Another thing that bothered me with the text. If psychics can't "focus" properly if they are nervous, for instance on TV, then why would they go on TV in the first place? If I was able to turn my head 360 degrees when I was relaxed and calm but could only do it sometimes when I was infront of people, would I do it? Besides that very few would actually want to watch me turn my head 360 degrees. Maybe I would still risk it. Sitting there struggling to turn my stiff jointed neck and people would be cheering me on. Oh the glory.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2707 Posts

Profile of kinesis
If psychics were truly psychic they sure as heck wouldn't be working on cheap daytime tv shows.

If psychics were truly psychic they could and would prove themselves without doubt to the scientists and the skeptics.

If psychics were truly psychic they would have recognised and legitimate jobs in government security and police forces.

If psychics were truly psychic we'd know by now and discussions like this wouldn't exist.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
The person who wrote that article IS a professional psychic and if the piece is read closely you will see that he states that although it can easily be missed. All I am saying is that he is a sharp operator whether he is a real psychic or not. He seems to have come up with great answers that it would behoove others in this field to remember when they are questioned about these matters. I must exert myself to find out who wrote the article. It might be a mentalist or magician for all we know.

As for why they go on television in the first place the answer is obvious. It is for business reasons. I have been on television as a psychic many times and I usually get everything right and I am not in any special state of tension. However, I am a unique individual and terribly wondrous in my abilities. But that is not the real reason. The real reason is that I am not a spiritualist medium and do not contact spirits that have passed over. That is certainly a recipe for failure and a high risk strategy that I shall leave to the likes of Sylvia Brown, John Edwards et al.

At one time I was a psychic on an infomercial that ran across the country at some unearthly time in the middle of the night. I was on this thing for years on end. I answered questions from people who phoned in and got all the answers correctly and made some astonishing hits. Of course the phone-in calls came from another room in the studio and the callers had told me the questions beforehand which made it somewhat easier. Mind you they didn't tell me the answers. I still had to come up with that myself.

I actually sell a DVD called "Psychic Dimensions" which show me on a TV show being interviewed and accepting phone calls from outside and answering them. On this occasion I was terribly ethical and the phone calls were actually genuine and I had to answer them on the spur of the moment. I didn't need to put myself in a sleepy trance like Edgar Cayce but I managed nevertheless. The show lasted an hour and was all about my favourite subject, namely me. Those who are as psychic as myself will no doubt locate me and I will sell this to them if they are interested. I also do 20 minutes of close up magic as a bonus section of the DVD. I must say that I was absolutely marvellous and was terribly impressed with myself.

And it should be noted that if we go back to the original topic Uri Geller never once acted as a psychic medium on television so he didn't have to worry too much about getting things wrong.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
If there were real psychics then hundreds of thousands of people would not have lost their lives, homes, and hopes in 2011. The problem with psychics is they have blown their own covers -- proving themselves irrelevant to modern society. Remember when we used to have the annual "psychic predictions" in the newspapers just after Xmas EACH YEAR. Wonder where hey have gone, eh? Way too risky for these charlatans to stick their necks out now-a-days.

And, dear Uri. If today's performers would just look back and SEE how Metal Bending should be performed then we'd have a whole lot less of these ridiculous molten metal juggling acts with the thousand bends a minute, arms flaying in the air, etc.

Question. If Uri had STARTED his career with a "Molten Metal" set would he have become as famous as he did? I think not.

Ben Harris
(author: Gellerism Revealed, 1986).
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2045 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Well Ben I think one thing that is irrelevant perhaps is your opinion as there certainly seems to be more psychics, more new age type magazines, more psychic phone lines than ever before. I hardly think that's irrelevant.

No psyshic with common sense claims to be 100% accurate and the ones that do generally end up falling on their ***. It's not, never has been, and never will be about predicting every last thing that's going to happen. It's at it's most basic form bucking people up, giving them some confidence and most importantly at times, giving them an ear. I think that's very relevant.
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
You do get many psychics who claim 98% accuracy. Not quite 100% but pretty good nevertheless. These are the ones generally to be avoided. They are the gypsy type psychics and they are very crooked indeed. There is a way to tell the gypsy psychics very easily. They never offer recordings of the readings, they have lovely display material outside their venues, they have giveaway phrases such as "reunite lost lovers" or "98% accurate" or "curses removed" and suchlike. They are often called Mrs or Madam something or other.

And David is right. You will never get rid of psychics. The interest is always there no matter how often zealots try to debunk them. Sceptics always fight a losing battle with psychics but they keep on trying. Of course Ben is Australian and I find that very interesting. There seems to be more vociferous opposition to psychics from Australians than any other country on earth. I have always found that quite intriguing considering they are all descended from convicts themselves. We British started Australia by transporting all our criminals there years ago and the population consists of descendants of those wicked people. That is why I find it so ironic that Australians are the most vociferous crusaders against we spiritual holy psychic people than any other nationality on earth.
mindexplorer
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mindexplorer
The problem with getting old is that my references don't have the same resonance with younger listeners. It is difficult to relate to the impact of Uri doing the drawing duplication on Barbara Walters or listing the various shows he was on (when TV wasn't so fragmented). This was the first time many had heard about "test conditions" and university studies for psychics.

Uri also got a great jump on everyone by being able to do several of these "tests" before anyone was really able to question the actual "test conditions." He was famous before the doubters could even get cranked up. If Randi hadn't finally convinced some of the academics that they could easily be fooled, there is no telling what psychics would be doing today under "test conditions."

Reading back over the conditions that were considered "test" is a very humorous read. An example being when the scientists would all follow Uri into another room to monitor as he prepared himself, but left the "test" items in the previous room unwatched except by Uri's entourage.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2121 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
You are right, visionquest. We send em packing. No time for their cheap and nasty tricks. We sent dear old Doris packing and Edward, etc. Frankly, we can't quite understand why you folk from the "Mother Country" are so gullible. Too many pork pies, maybe?

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
visionquest
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of visionquest
Actually I got the impression that dear old Doris outwitted you at every turn. Of course your lot were at a disadvantage since you have spent your whole lives walking around upside down while Doris spent HER life walking the right way up. Naturally, as a result of this she was able to think a little quicker. Naturally I cannot blame Australians for this. It must be hard to think quickly when the blood is rushing to your head all day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uri gellar: in confidence (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL