The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » BandAid/Thimble Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
My real job (the one for money) is in an ER, where I try to use magic to calm patients, and pass the time waiting for results, etc. I saw an effect listed somewhere recently that was a thimble- like effect using band-aids. Now I can't re-locate it. Can anybody help? Any other medically- oriented magic tricks would be appreciated also. Thanks
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The effect you are looking for is called “Skip’s Big Boo Boo”. It is a fairly standard thimble routine done with gimmicked band-aids. The band-aids give it an edge over thimbles in terms of familiarity.

I have used it in place of thimbles in a bar/comedy club venue.

Check out:
http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/produc......p;page=1

for one listing of the trick.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Thanks, Harry. It looks interesting, but a bit pricey! Did you think it worth $40?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just buy some cheap thimbles and put band aids around them... I did that 40 years ago.

Also, I rolled a dollar bill around my finger and did same thing.

Used caps from lip saver.

Used bottle caps that fit my fingers.

Used small pill bottles.

USE ANYTHING THAT FITS. Smile

I even had the multiplying golf tees that fit my fingers and did thimble moves.

Use your imagination. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Great ideas Pete. Thanks for taking the time to help. I'll give them a try. One question- what are multiplying golf tees- sounds like a trick made for doctors- I've got to look into that!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Pete is right-on here about using your imagination (I’ve used the Chap-stick caps in a pinch too!).

If you already know a thimble routine then you don’t need to buy the Band Aid routine above. You just need to make some Band Aid looking thimbles.

If you don’t already have a thimble routine, then the price of the Boo Boo routine is not all that much. You get the Band Aid gimmicks (you have to assemble them yourself to insure the proper size), you get a holder for the final four production, you get a videotape of the basic routine.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
There was a great magian named Dave Calavitta who I met in Las Vegas, and he had some great stuff with Chap-stick caps.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I find the Band Aids make the thimbles more tactile and easier to handle
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
OK, I went out and bought some thimbles, and some Clifford the Big Red Dog Band-Aids. Also got some magnets to help me stash them in my palm. Seems like they might be perfect. I'm interested in what others are doing for thimble routines- does anyone have ideas on their favorite books or videos on thimble manipulation? Thanks.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
One of the guys in Die Fertigen Fingers has a manipulation bit were he uses bandages as thimbles. It might be on there DVD.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I already posted the link for Skip’s Big Boo-Boo, which provides a videotape that includes a performance segment. The Jeff McBride manipulation series has a ton of stuff on thimbles (including performance segments).

The best reference book on thimbles is arguably Joe Mogar’s (of the color changing knife fame) “Digital Effects of Joe Mogar”. It costs about $40.00 and can be had from most major magic dealers. Try Denny Haney at Denny and Lee’s Magic Studio for quick service.

Check out:
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=002861
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Here's an idea: Do a color changing knife routine and "cut" yourself at the end. Put a Band-aid on the "cut" and start a Band-aid (thimble) routine.

FC Smile
FranD,Amico
View Profile
New user
Cleveland
9 Posts

Profile of FranD,Amico
Maybe you might want to find a way to make mouth coils out of a roll of gauze, perhaps a portable ekg? is it? With the results comming out of your mouth.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
One of the Silly Billy Kid columns in Magic magazine had a Band-aid thimble routine in it. Not sure what issue but it was more than a year ago.

You can usually find the Berland thimble set cheap. It has five wooden thimbles, one jumbo and a thimble holder.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
[quote]On 2003-09-30 15:13, Harry Murphy wrote:
The effect you are looking for is called “Skip’s Big Boo Boo”. It is a fairly standard thimble routine done with gimmicked band-aids.

Tried to Google and search EBay for this routine and found NOTHING. Anyone know where I can still find out about it or purchase it? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Anyone?

Anything?

Geez, I cant believe I just killed ANOTHER thread!

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » BandAid/Thimble Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL