The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Duct Taped guessing game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Hello!

Last days I was working on a new blindfold routine. It's pretty simple, guessing which hand the participant has risen up. The problem I have is that, I think there is not enough emotional engagement from their site. Would you be able to give me some tips, what could I do to get it better?

Here is recording of my performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BRLXSM1io
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Associate each hand with something meaningful for them... (some one/some thing they love or hate)

There might be fun to be had around folklore about the hands... eg The Sinister hand is the Left hand, in some cultures it's the hand that does the 'dirty business' whereas the Right Hand traditionally the hand of trust like, The King's Right Hand...

If your spec is a sporting person, they may typically throw with one hand and catch with the other... have them imagine they are throwing or catching...

I'm a lefty and when I grew up it was still a thing that was discouraged and my folks and teachers tried to get me to use my "proper" hand... but I was stubborn... so "handed=ness" definitely has a connection with me... so maybe get somebody from the audience that is left-handed-- "south-paws are typically more creative, I need someone with a good imagination, etc etc."

hope that helps.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Thanks dmoses! That's a great idea. I've not thought about this. Associating raising of the hands with some personal meaningful stuff could make a difference. I'll try it for sure Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 06:47, jakubr wrote:
Thanks dmoses! That's a great idea. I've not thought about this. Associating raising of the hands with some personal meaningful stuff could make a difference. I'll try it for sure Smile

Yes, study some basic readings... It will raise that routine to unbelievable levels... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Glad to help.

There are three guys (off the top of my head) who I find very inspiring for this sort of thing and have three very different ways of making effects personal:
Andrew Gerard (his DVD, The Process in particular)
Sean Waters (check out any of his eBooks)
Phill Smith (his book Mitox is a great introduction-- and he's got a podcast with Kennedy on tonight!)

all the best

d
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
+1 for Mitox.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Hey Jakubr

I actually just watched your video.
You have a very nice easy performance style.

I'm not sure I agree that it's meaning that is missing from your routine-- which is about influence and suggestion and there's nothing wrong with that-- but you might try adding a little more structure.
A beginning... a middle and an end.

At the moment you do the same thing several time-- guess which arm is held up.
A very simple routine (and by no means original) might be to
1. guess which hand is raised
2. Predict which hand he will raise
3. And for the last phase--have him raise one hand one more time then show prediction inside an envelope (that somebody else was holding the whole time) that shows you knew which hands he would raise and in what order.

Each phase builds on the previous one and cancels out out possible methods.

You might also look at Patrick Redford's Prevaricator for an even stronger finish.

best

dave
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Pakar Ilusi, I've got only some basic knowledge about the reading, I've spent some time studying 'Full Facts...'. Is there some other book you could advise me for this particular routine?

dmoses, form those three, I'm only familiar with The Process. And now that I think about it, I've probably didn't do very good job applying it. Smile
And this routine you gave me... brilliant! I think it could make it so much stronger. Thanks!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3463 Posts

Profile of Looch
I like the idea of associating something with each hand. Even a simple Yes & No. You could tell
A story that "apparently" gives an indication if the participants character based on their choices (which hand they lift)

"imagine youre walking down the street, you see an old lady drop her purse, you can see a large amount of cash protruding from
The purse. Do you pick it up and tell her or walk off with it. Yes or No?

I think you will say "yes" which tells me you have a compassionate streak. There's a sense of honesty with you which others often admire, even I'd they don't openly
Tell you.

Continue walking down the street, you turn into a coffee shop, there's a line, you look up
to the drinks menu above the till, and decide now, coffee or tea... I think your actually a tea man.

The participant will also associate Left hand, Right Hand with whatever order you say the two options

Just rambling on my iPhone so this might not be clear...
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Looch, that's another great idea! I like it especially that in the example you gave it's going from more 'easy to guess' question to more difficult. So with every question it would look more impossible. Thanks, I'll definitely look into that when reconstructing the routine Smile
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Looch is too modest to mention it, so I will-- if you don't have his "S.A.D." (Simple and Direct) Mentalism Book, and his Your Thoughts Are Mine DVD Set... are filled with great routines, approaches and resources. Grab them if you don't have them.

d
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1352 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Nefesch, twins has many ideas and some great contributions on the subject.

Pete
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-04-06 06:33, jakubr wrote:

Pakar Ilusi, I've got only some basic knowledge about the reading, I've spent some time studying 'Full Facts...'. Is there some other book you could advise me for this particular routine?

You already have more than you need if you're reading that. Smile

Now study some acting and the Mentalist greats... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Is there a trick involved or are you playing with them psychologically?
Very new to mentalism (but not magic), and would be very interested in the effect. As for the presentation, I would suggest either a yes and no routine or you could present it as a fun, annoying game when you often tell them that you think they're going for the right hand, but in me just saying that, you might go for the left but that may seem like the obvious option so you would stick to the right but you might go for the obvious option because even though it would seem obvious would be a less obvious option than the more obvious but on the otherhand that might be less obvious.
Derren Brown uses this form of presentation in some of his 50/50 premises which is a very entertaining approach.
Could you PM me about how I could find out how the effect is done? (maybe a book or DVD?)
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

A prediction could be added using a swami gimmick or an ambigram?
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Thanks dmoses, looch is there somewhere the summary of the content of that book and dvd so I could check more what it's all about?

Pakar Ilusi, I'm glad, I liked that book a lot. I'll keep studying it.

Hugh Entwistle, I'm sorry but I can't say much about the method. I'm glad you like it though Smile
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-04-09 08:55, jakubr wrote:
Hugh Entwistle, I'm sorry but I can't say much about the method. I'm glad you like it though Smile

hmmm....I somehow predicted you would say that... Does anyone know of similliar effects that I could look into?
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Lots of the work recommended already in this thread would help you out.

d
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Hugh Entwistle, I'm sure, if you start studying mentalism classics, you'll quickly find some similar routines. Smile
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Ok thanks for your help Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Duct Taped guessing game (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL