The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » SYZYGY - The First Five Volumes - Comments? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Not having been a subscriber to SYZYGY, I'm considering purchasing this book, available from Larry Becker and Lee Earle, but the price ($168 plus shipping and handling) is rather daunting. In deciding whether to make the investment, I'd appreciate comments from anyone familiar with the contents.

I'm wondering how the contents stack up vs. top-quality contemporary books on mentalism such as Paramiracles, Stunners Plus, Theater of the Mind, Psychological Subtleties and Mind, Myth and Magic. SYZYGY's index of contributors is very impressive and reads like a Who's Who of magic and mentalism:

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Smile
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Of course it's a great deal. I have two listings in the book...grin.
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
How can a book with so much informations, from various minds in the business, not be a must-buy?

For the price asked, you can have a couple years of TV spots or a complete new act or even better only one routine, that you will do for the rest of your life!!!

Humbly, this is without a doubt a very good buy for anyone that doesn't have the original Syzygy in-hand.

Hope this helps.

Kuffs
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I have just received my copy and Syzygy is without doubt the best thing to come our way since Magick.

Absolutely priceless. It feels like my birthday.

To Lee Earl and all the contributers, a BIG THANK YOU.

Franklin - The Paranormalist
Smile Smile
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I have used routines from SYZYGY in my shows. You can not go wrong in buying his SYZYGY in book form.

I am proud to be one of the contributers to the magazine and have a complete file of the originals, but I also bought the book. It is well made, as you would suspect a Lee Earle product to be.

The CD that comes with it is a very valuable tool. Do not pass up the opportunity to expand your knowledge of our art of mentalism. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Thank you all for your comments... I'm ordering a copy.
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Thanks Franklin.
steveroth
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of steveroth
I subscribed from Issue 1 and can recommend that you purchase the compilation. Am I happy that Lee Earle decided to publish it? No. Am I surprised? No. Do I admire him for completing the run of Syzygy? Yes!!!

Steve Roth
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I am obviously missing something...I got the first volume when it came out. I cancelled the second. The reason being is you are left with a bunch of mediocre to tame effects. Lots of nice thinking and ideas but nothing that I personally would use.

Lots of "mind candy".
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I recived my copy of SYZYGY last week and am devouring it right now. Yummy! Smile

What a book, even for that pricetag it's absoloutly fantastic. And what a great concept with the included CD-ROM.

And yeah, it includes lots of "mind candy," makes you start thinking...Not a bad thing.
What bugs me is the name SYZYGY, does it have any meaning or is it just a name out of Lee Earl's mind?

Just curious. Smile

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Peo,

I guess you could run a search for the meaning of the word but you could also get a hint from the magazine logo.

Nir
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
From the—I believe—American Heritage Dictionary (I just looked) the word Syzygy:

Quote:
Either of two points in the orbit of a celestial body where the body is in opposition to or in conjunction with the sun.

Either of two points in the orbit of the moon when the moon lies in a straight line with the sun and earth.

The configuration of the sun, the moon, and earth lying in a straight line.

The combining of two feet into a single metrical unit in classical prosody.

I also recall that the SF writer Fred Pohl wrote a novel by that name.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Ok, thanks guys. I looked up the word myself, and I have it all figured out now.

Thanks
Peo
kamiruaga
View Profile
New user
The Basque Country (N. Spain)
69 Posts

Profile of kamiruaga
Hi!
I've just received it and I find it superb! One of the best purchases on mentalism I've ever made.
Highly recommended!
Best,
All those who believe in telekinesis,
raise my hand. (Kurt Vonnegut)"
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I have to agree with you there kamiruaga, after T.A. Water's Mind, Myth & Magic it is my favourite book in mentalism.

Peo
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I hope somebody out there still likes this material since I just listed my entire set of the original publications in the books and lecture notes for sale section.
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » SYZYGY - The First Five Volumes - Comments? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL