We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Motivation for Coins through table (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I'm remembering a coin vanish of Marlo's, I think, that consisted of covering a single coin on the table with your hand and moving your hand in a circle. As you did this the coin was worked to the heel of your hand, and finally, off the table to your lap. You lifted your hand to show it vanished. Combine this method with the fantasy I mentioned earlier of the vanishing hole, and then incorporate the cartoon character.

Here's how: Get a souvenir coin from Warner with Bugs Bunny on it, or something like that, and use it as the coin thru. I had a coin with the three "greats", Houdini, Kellar, and Thurston, on it. Sandra Kort hand-colored it for me and I used it for a trick of Ron Bauer's. The special coin looked neat and was something to introduce and talk about. A hand-colored cartoon coin would work in the same way for a coin through the table.

This does get away from the traditional multiple penetrations of a coins thru, and changes the tone of the presentation. But the magic EFFECT remains the same, and the presentation is something most people can relate to.

"Remember the cartoon where the rabbit jumps in the hole, then pulls it in after himself? Well, this is the rabbit (show coin), and here is the hole (Draw the circle)." Etc., Etc., Etc...

Tag lines?

"Good way to get outta here if you guys turn ugly..."

"That's the same hole Alice used..."

"Good thing it's a trick, if you could really do this the kids would be dumping dinner all the time..."

"Too bad you can't really do that, it would be a great way to feed the dog..."

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-12-05 10:33, pchosse wrote:
"Good thing it's a trick, if you could really do this the kids would be dumping dinner all the time..."

Great line!
Plick
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Plick
Hi everybody, thank you for all the good ideas you share in this thread. As far as I love the CTTT trick, I read your contributions with great enthusiasm.

The vanish you speak about (covering a single coin on the table with your hand and moving your hand in a circle), pchosse, is known as the "Marlo's Rub Back move" (but some people attribute it to Ross Bertram ?).
It's a very useful technique which has been employed with great success in a lot of CTTT routines. I love the combination of this move with the coin falling alone in the glass held between the two knees in Tamariz' routine (Monedas, 1969) (the coin on the table is lapped and simulteneously a coin which was on a knee is falling in the glass as a very clean climax for a kangaroo coins routine). Derek Dingle uses it (and uses it well !) in his "International Coins Through Table" (by the way who was the first to use this idea of different coins ?) : the coin being lapped falls directly in the glass held under the edge of the table by the other hand : no extra coin and a great impact ! (see "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle" by Kaufman). One other astonishing routine with this move is the buttons through table by Gaetan Bloom (stand-up magic without any lap... a wonderful new concept which totally fooled the master of this routine, Tony Slydini).

To justify the trick, I really like Vernon's patter about the kangaroo's on the australian coins and the story being transmitted over the generations... ok, that's not maybe a real justification for the coins passing through the table but that's a beautiful frame to introduce this trick. Tamariz used to say that he always thinks that the name "kangaroo trick" was due to the reaction of the audience after seeing this trick : they jump all around by admiration ! For him, this trick was maybe the most spectacular one with coins (as he wrote his first book in 1969).

Tamariz begins his routine with the demonstration of a well-known physical law (sorry nycmagic) and then just explains that he will play with a magical law.

A very very young french magician named Pierric released a video in 1998 (by Mayette Magie Moderne) : he gives the impression to really open a trap door in the table and to push the coins through the hole. In fact, he uses a palmed little plastic/cloth sheet which colour matches the close-up mat's colour. He manipulates it in a very convincing way and can open or close an imaginary hole, and lap the gimmick when he wants.

Anyway, lots of magicians have done this trick without any justification except to realize some magic with nothing : Al Baker (see Moder Coin Magic by Bobo), Slydini (which was really the king of this effect, and who considered his coins routine as the foundation of his magic) who presented it as a challenge, Goshman in whose hands this effect was so natural... so the effect was just shown as a unique piece of magic which found his justification in itself.

I had some ideas about a patter dealing with the table through the coins using some chinese coins. The climax of the coins coming back on the table ("Coins Through Table Kicker" by Mike Gallo described in Encores by Ammar or in "New Wave Close-up" by Hierling or in some Ammar lecture notes or in Gary Kurtz' "Relentless"...) can be explained by this patter out of line with the other : that's not the coins that are passing through the table, that's the table which is going through them (you can use a table held to the corners by two assistants who suddenly lower the table top)... another 0 euro's idea : it can be the coins that go soft (there are some moves to show that coins become soft) to pass through and not a soft spot in the table.

Hope this helps...

Plick.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I forget who it was that had a small table on the table... I fiddled with the idea putting a tablecloth on it and having the table go through the table as a finish.

The coin on the knee dropping into the glass was mine, it is in a copy of Tarbell and Tamariz and Johnny Thompson both use it, as do others.

Having been a student of Slydini I love doing the coins thru the table and have lots of variations and fun ways of doing it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2003-12-05 19:17, Pete Biro wrote:
I forget who it was that had a small table on the table... I fiddled with the idea putting a tablecloth on it and having the table go through the table as a finish.

David Roth has a routine just like this (including the table through the table finish) in his book. It's actually called "The Table" and it appears on page 266 of "Expert Coin Magic". It's worth checking out.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-12-05 11:09, Larry Davidson wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-12-05 10:33, pchosse wrote:

Great line!

Hmmm, another idea. After using the line about kids getting rid of food they don't like by secretly dumping it into the magic hole, perform the classic salt shaker through table effect which in my mind is a good tie-in to the food line. Cover the salt shaker with a napkin, point to the hole as you l--, and then appear to push the shaker through the table by pushing the napkin flat onto the hole, use the napkin to wipe away the hole, and produce the shaker from under the table.

Larry D.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Anybody willing to try to adapt the story behind the Twilight Zone episode: "Little Girl Lost" to this?

This would have the 'hole' invisible and it's discovery somewhat accidental.

yes, another story to search out and consider. No easy answers this snowy day in NY. It's a Richard Matheson short story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bare Handed
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bare Handed
Try this... Have the spectator pick a spot on the table. Then have them cup their hands under the spot. Then with both of your hands above the table, throw the coin through the table into their hands.
You live in the world you create!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Barehanded, that reads well. I've had little success making that work reliably / effectively since;

1) It is really tough to coordinate an exact place under the table when seen from above.

2) The next thing the audience does is dive under the table to look for mechanics

3) Then they look for sticky on the coin

4) Then they ask for a repeat performance

If you have mechanics that manage this, Please let me know.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Jon,

Your observation 1) would be the starting point for a method. Since they can't judge, put their hands where they have to be, and tell them it's where they said.

As you know, the rest is easy if you keep one hand under the table to "guide" the spectator's hands, and I wonder if the condition requiring both of the performer's hands above the table conveys any benefit that the spectators appreciate.

I suppose "no confederates" is another condition?

Anyone want to discuss the mechanics of a possible "Coppentro in my sock" gimmick?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

General question here...

Do the coins have to fall though the table imedietly?

Going from the Matheson "hole in the universe" premise, the coins might take a while to get where they are going.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Another route for solutions: consider removing the coins from a wallet or coinpurse, within which is concealed a PK style magnet. The purse is tabled just out of the center of action.

Coins with ferrous natures may now be made to pass through the table into the spectator's hands, provided they are placed in line with the purse. They fall not immediately, but only with a strong "Thump".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I don't understand it either so I decided to scare my spectators. I would put on Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze" and do the whole coins through the table thing backwards. Well it really wasn't backwards but, I pretended I was in reverse. Considered it an 'art' piece.

Smile
Lee
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-12-06 20:21, Curtis Kam wrote:
consider removing the coins from a wallet or coinpurse, within which is concealed a PK style magnet...They fall not immediately, but only with a strong "Thump".

I developed a similar solution for card through table decades ago, but the card penetrated through immediately versus with a "thump." I for--- a card, had a shi--ed dupicate on my lap, and a PK hidden under my sleeve attached to my wrist. The immediate penetration was possible by simply lifting my hand off of the table, as I snapped my fingers, which simultaneously released the shi--ed duplicate into the spectator's waiting hand. The same could be used to make a coin penetrate through immediately.

Larry D.
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of hnegash
Tell the audience that you will make 4 coins magically penetrate a solid table.

Henok
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Larry D,

Sounds nice. I have a fear of such things after watching a friend lose his jacket as he walked past a metal filing cabinet... Smile

IYHP, does the effect need these embellishments?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Curtis, IMHP, I don't think the effect really "needs" the embellishments, but I'd think it would "benefit" from having both hands above the table for at least one of the penetrations because of how incredibly clean it would look. I'm just conjecturing, though, because it's been a very long time since I performed coins through table professionally and I'd have to perform it the standard way as well as with both hands above the table to see if there's any appreciable difference in audience reaction.

Larry D.

P.S. - I had an incredibly embarassing incident happen which was even worse than the filing cabinet incident. I had a huge and incredibly powerful neodymium mag--- in my suit jacket pocket (this sucker is about the diameter of a silver dollar and about an inch thick) and when I attempted to walk through the metal subway turnstyle, my jacket practically flew off my body and stuck to one of the sides of the turnstyle. I was holding my subway ticket in my hand, and because it has a mag----- strip on it, I tried not to get it anywhere near my jacket as I attempted to free myself. Had Cirque de Soleil been in the vacinity, they probably would have hired me as a contortionist. Of course the long line of people standing behind me waiting to get through the turnstyle were just staring at me like I was a mental patient.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
That's awesome.

I never knew a magnet could be so hilarious!

I think the idea of both hands above the table for at least one penetration is a neat idea...as long as you don't lose your coat...because it went through the table or attached itself to a turnstyle! Smile
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
The one common denominator almost everyone knows about money,
is that it has the tendency to, "Burn A Hole In Your Pocket".

It also has the same effect on other objects if it's not spent promptly.
ie Tables, Glasses, Ashtrays etc.

Keep on smiling...
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Motivation for Coins through table (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL