The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ken Groves's New Book--A Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
The title of Ken Groves’s new book Creating a Character is deceptive. This simple title gives the potential reader no idea of the wealth a material contained in the book. A better title might have been A Compact Master Course in Ventriloquism. The size of the book is deceptive, too. You can read it in a couple of hours, but it will take you months or longer to master the material in it.

I have had the privilege of private coaching with Ken, and what he teaches personally is in the book. He reveals the secrets of perfect lip control, of creating a powerful voice for your puppet, of writing comedy, and of creating the illusion of a living character by your side.

But be warned: Ken does not suffer fools gladly. And he does not hold back on his opinion of vents who are less dedicated to the craft than he. The Ken Groves that comes across is somewhat akin to a kindly drill sergeant (there’s an oxymoron for you) who knows that what he inculcates into his trainees will one day save their lives or, in this case, their shows.

Don’t buy this book in the hope that reading it once and setting it down will make you a better vent. Be prepared to live with it for a while. Be prepared to practice some exercises that might make you feel foolish, but which will make you a better ventriloquist. Be prepared to look at yourself and your performances more critically than you ever have before. And know that if you do these things your ventriloquism will improve. You’ll be proud of yourself, and if you really work hard, I suspect Ken would be proud of you, too.

You can obtain the book directly from Ken (Ken@KenGroves.com). $15 postpaid in the U.S. $20 postpaid outside U.S. Order it. You have nothing to lose but your audience.

(Disclaimer: I have no personal or financial interest in the book.)
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Thanks for the review, Bob. I was not aware of Ken's book, but now I can't wait to read it. Ken Groves is one of the very best. All talent and skill - no filler. As far as him not suffering fools gladly; I'd rather be scolded by Ken than get compliments from a dozen others.
He's got the book on his website:
http://kengroves.com/resources.php
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Ken did an incredible job on this book. I'm not aware of anything that is so all inclusive as this book is. It took me 2 nights to read it all the way through, then spent the next 3 night getting no sleep just listening to all of the wheels turning that Ken had talked about. WOW!!! Ken you should have charged more for this little book. This little book has helped guide me to putting together better shows with much better content. Thanks Ken!!!
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Wait a minute bwarren3, don't tell him to raise the price before I up and buy one. I read a previous book of his and ,man, was that chock full of sound advice.

Looking forward to a copy. Thanks Bob for the heads up.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I read this book and yes it's awesome! It's more than just creating characters, but it actually teaches how to create an effective vent act.

Ken is so supportive. He had answered all my inquiries on scriptwriting early in my career. He's a real master of our craft!
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Incidentally, I bought my copy of this book in 2003, so I guess it's not a new work by Ken.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2012-04-08 04:02, Ony Carcamo wrote:
Incidentally, I bought my copy of this book in 2003, so I guess it's not a new work by Ken.

Maybe he's revised it because the copyright date is 2012.

(But then, Ony, you've always been ahead of your time!). Smile

B
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Hahaha... Smile I just looked into my copy, Bob, there's no copyright date. Maybe he revised it, or probably reprinted it this year. I remember I bought it then from Maher, along with other books. Really great read.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Marco Koch
View Profile
New user
Germany
63 Posts

Profile of Marco Koch
I just ordered my copy, thanks Bob for the review.
Btw, if you are on Ken's site for ordering the book, you may consider ordering Ken's DVD, too... (http://kengroves.com/dvd.php)
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
I got mine and am digging into the first chapters now. It's like Ken is right here scolding me in person. It's PURE GOLD and I'm only putting it down 'cause dinner is ready.

Oh, and by the way, you can't just read it; you have to work on the lessons or you're just spinnin' your wheels. There's real fruit in them Groves
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Just ordered...can't wait! Saw a picture of Steve at Mcdonalds reading and eating and couldn't resist. I wonder if it was the book, or the remnants of the breakfast sandwich?

Ken
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Ony,
This is a complete update from his original version. There's 2-3 times as much material and info than the original. Order the new one, you will not be disappointed..

Bill
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Arrived yesterday. Can't wait to dig in...

Ken
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Just a note to share with anyone who digs up this post in the future:

Ken has now released Creating A Character in an on-line version over at: http://maherstudios.com

We will also be releasing Breaking Down The Brick Walls Of ShowBiz as on on-line course in the future.

If you already have the books - you are golden - the only new content are videos of Ken talking about the written material.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ken Groves's New Book--A Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL